SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

The board's new look

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
I'm having trouble with the board's new look. It's not that I don't like the way it looks--I just can't seem to read it comfortably anymore. It's all sort of a bluish blur and I have to strain to pick out what's on the page. I thought it was just unfamiliar and I'd get used to it, but so far it hasn't happened.

I've tried going into my profile and trying the different "look and layout" choices, but they all look the same to me, including the "core" one that sounded as if it might return the board to its previous appearance.

Any tips?

Thanks!
#1 - April 27, 2012, 05:16 AM
AROUND AMERICA TO WIN THE VOTE
ANYTHING BUT ORDINARY ADDIE
MESMERIZED
GINGERBREAD FOR LIBERTY!
THE GRUDGE KEEPER
more at mararockliff.com

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Hey Mara! I had some issues with some of the themes too. I'm using Blue Variants now and it's working out for me. Maybe give that one a try?
#2 - April 27, 2012, 05:33 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
I'm using Blue Variants also, and it works great for me. 

Mara--did you preview the different layouts or use them?  When we were looking over all the new theme choices, I found it easiest to switch to each of them one at a time, and click into a thread using another window.  That made it easy to flip back and forth between the choices and close the tabs that definitely didn't work for me. Let us know if you're able to find something that works well for you!
#3 - April 27, 2012, 06:36 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
And if you still don't find that one of these is working for you, Mara, let me know again. I will go back and check out more themes and see if I can find one that does work for you. There are many hundreds of them to pick from! You can even go to the SimpleMachines.org site, go to their themes and browse around on your own, checking out some of them. If you find something that works especially well for you, let me know the name of it and I'll see if it will work here or not.
#4 - April 27, 2012, 07:54 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Try the Curve theme, the new default. It's very easy on the eyes and pretty close to the "old" default look.
#5 - April 27, 2012, 07:54 AM
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 07:56 AM by AnneB »

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I was having a hard time reading the new default Core theme--the text and headers all seemed the same.  I'm using the Clear Sky theme now, which I'm finding very readable with good contrast between subject headers and text, and an overall airy feel.  Definitely try out each theme for real rather than just the sample, though--I think that will help you the most.
#6 - April 27, 2012, 08:11 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Creator of Mootastic Art and Children's Books
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
I have trouble with it too Mara. The Curve theme seems the easiest on my eyes and closest in color to the old board (for me, anyway). Many of the others I couldn't even look at without my eyes bugging (too bright). Hope you find a theme that works for you!
#7 - April 27, 2012, 09:21 AM
Site - http://sruble.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/StephanieRuble

picture book: EWE AND AYE (now available as an ebook!)

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
I'm using Soft Cartoon and love it.

Rue
#8 - April 27, 2012, 09:31 AM
WIP: ETBs 10687/35000 (30.5%)
WIP: IWWP 12045/35000 (34.4%)

Poster Plus
Thanks, everyone! I'll keep trying different ones and see what works.
#9 - April 27, 2012, 10:53 AM
MESMERIZED
GINGERBREAD FOR LIBERTY!
THE GRUDGE KEEPER
more at mararockliff.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Yes, I would keep trying out different ones until you find one that works for you.
#10 - April 27, 2012, 04:39 PM
The GILDED series (Skyscape/ACP)
www.ChristinaFarley.com
Twitter @ChristinaFarley

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
I just added two new ones. New Look is WONDERFUL... almost just like what we had before, only better!
#11 - April 27, 2012, 05:29 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Poster Plus
Thanks, Verla!!
#12 - April 28, 2012, 05:40 AM
MESMERIZED
GINGERBREAD FOR LIBERTY!
THE GRUDGE KEEPER
more at mararockliff.com

CaroleB

Verla's book has disappeared and I liked it up there.
#13 - April 28, 2012, 05:45 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Awww, thanks, Carole. It didn't fit well on the new theme, so I removed it. It's still there on the older themes.
#14 - April 28, 2012, 05:50 AM
Verla Kay

Members: