SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Any teachers/principals on the board? If so...

Discussion started on

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
...what would happen to a couple of teachers caught embracing in a dark classroom after school (near the end of the school year, if that would make any difference)?  If both teachers are single? If one is married?

Thanks!
#1 - May 08, 2012, 02:54 PM

It depends. Who catches them? How passionate is the embrace? If they're both single and no clothing is out of place and (as much as it pains me to write this, it's still true in many places) they're not of the same sex, it's probably a chat with the principal, perhaps a note in their file at worst.

If either is married or if it's a steamy, hot embrace you may find yourself fighting to keep your job, especially if you're a younger teacher unprotected by tenure or if you're in a small enough town that teachers are expected to be moral examples. There are still places where teachers drive over to the next town to buy a six-pack of Bud Light so they don't run into their students in the grocery store.

Both of those scenarios would be pertinent to a public school. Parochial and private schools often have contract clauses that allow you to be fired on the spot for offensive or immoral behavior.
#2 - May 08, 2012, 03:07 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
If it was a student or parent who caught them, I'm pretty sure they would be removed from their teaching positions and quietly fade out of the district. If it was administration who caught them, same thing. If it was another teacher, I suppose it would depend on whether or not they were friends. :grin
#3 - May 08, 2012, 03:13 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
  • SCBWI RA
I remember this story from last year: http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Brooklyn-Lesbian-Tryst-Teachers-Fired-113419114.html

But there were two teachers in my high school who got married after a long time affair in the school. Both continued to teach there for years. The rumor was he had been married when they met.
#4 - May 08, 2012, 03:17 PM
Stacy Barnett Mozer
NE-SCBWI Critique Group Coordinator
www.stacymozer.com
http://sportygirlbooks.blogspot.com

GraceRouth

I think the answer would vary greatly depending on who caught them! In my experience, if a principal walked by and noticed (and there were no students around) s/he would could easily decide to keep on walking! I taught at a school where two teachers were involved (one married, one single) and rumor had it that the principal eventually called them in his office for a conversation - basically to keep things on the down low. Eventually, the man teacher divorced his wife and married the younger teacher. And they still work for the same principal.

I think the situation could have many plausible outcomes - just depends. That's probably good for your writing! Lots of flexibility.
#5 - May 08, 2012, 03:52 PM

Books for Young Readers of All Ages :)
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
This sounds like a sad situation.  It completely depends on whether it is a private or a public school, as noted above by other posters.  Private schools have a lot of leeway as far as the circumstances and what happens depends a great deal on the headmaster's judgment.  Public schools are affected by the union rules. There are so many ramifications and factors entering into the decision.  In Los Angeles County Unified School District, teachers charged with any kind of "moral issues" with extensive documentation (and is THAT hard to come by) are actually removed from the classroom and given full pay while the union negotiates and works on the trial.  This can drag on for years, as noted in the Los Angeles Times series on this subject.  It is unfortunate that people's personal and emotional lives intersect with their professional lives. I hope this works out "in the best interests of the students," which is what my headmaster used to say.
#6 - May 08, 2012, 04:00 PM
PB CALVIN'S LAST WORD, Tilbury House 2020
PB LITTLE CALABASH, Island Heritage 2020
YA SECRETS IN TRANSLATION, Fitzroy, 2018
and 28 more
@ipapaverison

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Wow, thanks everyone! Definitely lots of possibilities here!  :alce: