SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Group hug for Poets ... Who's had success submitting or selling poetry?

Discussion started on

It can be such a slim hard market out there for poetss. Sometimes it's so far between those elusive yes-es, you start to think there's no hope anywhere. So I thought it might be nice to hear if anyone has a recent success with their poetry whether in magazines, anthologies, books, newspapers.   Come share your bit of hope and happiness, won't you?     :grouphug2   :artist1:
#1 - May 11, 2012, 07:11 AM
Thomas Jefferson & the Mammoth Hunt 2018
Dumpling Dreams, 2017
Magic for Sale,  2017
Pia Piratissima 2014
Victricia Malicia, 2012

Poster Plus
Well, this isn't children's- but I finally got a poem accepted by June Cotner for her anthology, Gratitude Prayers, due out next spring. I've been trying to get one in for years! In the children's world, I will have a poem in July's issue of Pockets.
#2 - May 12, 2012, 06:36 PM

I sold several poems to educational site Time4Learning some time ago.
It's difficult to find anyone who will even look at poetry; most agents won't touch it, so it's a challenge to find an avenue for it.
#3 - May 12, 2012, 09:05 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I'm sorry this thread is not longer. I've sold poetry to Ladybug and Highlights and Once Upon a Time.

Vijaya
#4 - May 14, 2012, 06:10 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Hi CarrieLee-

I love your subject line. A group hug is definitely called for!

I've sold poems recently to Babybug and Ladybug. I also have a poem in the anthology "And the Crowd Goes Wild: A Global Gathering of Sports Poems" which is coming out in August. But you are right, the acceptances are few and far between. It's frustrating that there are not more markets.

Carrie
#5 - May 14, 2012, 07:10 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
So far, I've only had success with adult poetry markets. You're right, Vijaya, it's a shame this thread isn't longer...
#6 - May 14, 2012, 08:37 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
This is a tad bit on the older side, but in 2010, my poetry critique group published our MG anthology, AN EYEBALL IN MY GARDEN--AND OTHER SPINE-TINGLING POEMS. 
#7 - May 14, 2012, 10:08 AM
AN EYEBALL IN MY GARDEN, Marshall Cavendish Children's Books
www.LauraWynkoop.com

I wouldn't dare submit my poetry its so awful but wanted to send good wishes to you all!
Good luck!
#8 - May 14, 2012, 12:15 PM
The GILDED series (Skyscape/ACP)
www.ChristinaFarley.com
Twitter @ChristinaFarley

MaryWitzl

I've sold several poems for adults, but never anything for children. And it's not like I haven't tried...

So proud to be  hanging out with people who HAVE succeeded, though! ;)
#9 - May 14, 2012, 01:36 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
  • SCBWI PAL
I just started submitting poetry for children and adults. I haven't had any published yet, but I've received some kind words regarding the poems. I should here back on a few more by June... :ceilingdance
#10 - May 16, 2012, 10:14 AM

I've sold one poem to an international religious magazine for children (called The Friend), but they haven't printed it yet.  I signed the contract in 2009 (or was it 2008?) and I'm still waiting to see if they publish it.
They may never do so, but at least they pay when you sign the contract and not pay upon publication.
#11 - May 16, 2012, 10:22 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Last year I sold poems to Highlights for Children, Stories for Children, Spaceports and Spidersilk, Pockets, Beyond Centauri and Literature For Kids (the latter has not been open for submissions for some time now and they haven't published an issue since October, but say they will be publishing new issues soon. Hope so, I have a lot of things lined up to be in them, including poetry).

This year I've sold poems to Stories for Children, Spaceports and Spidersilk and Hopscotch.

I've also sold poetry for adults.

But I must agree, it is a tough market. But don't give up.

Group hug to all.
#12 - May 16, 2012, 01:10 PM
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 01:21 PM by AzGuy »
http://www.guybelleranti.com/
Cow's Bad Dream & Muddy Pig, Clean Pig (the 4th & 5th books in my Farm Friends series ) coming this summer from RR Books

Cindyb, congratulations on your sale to Pockets (and you too, AzGuy). One of my poems is in the new June issue of Pockets.
#13 - May 20, 2012, 04:09 PM

Poster Plus
Thanks, Nealwriter, and congrats to you. I shall try to track down that issue to see your poem.
#14 - May 20, 2012, 07:20 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Congratulations to all of you who have had sales! As others have said, it's a tough market.

Neal, I enjoyed reading your fun "It's Summertime" in Pockets.  An exuberant, joyous celebration of the season. :cheerleader

Not sure what constitutes "recent."  My more recent poetry publications have been in Stories for Children, Guardian Angel Kids, and Boys' Quest.
#15 - May 20, 2012, 08:27 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region southern-breeze
I've published a fair number of poems, but all in the adult market, and almost none of them paid anything.  It's such a  different world!

The good news is that the same skills I developed with poetry have been a lot of help in revising and perfecting my other work, especially picture books! Not to get all Pollyanna, but that's one way to look at it- that your poetry is in ALL your work.  Poetry is the best lines in a novel, a particularly lovely refrain in a picture book, etc.
#16 - May 20, 2012, 10:08 PM

kathym44

My first publishing credit was a poem in Stories for Children. I also had two poems/action rhymes accepted to Highlights High Five, but not sure when they'll be published.
#17 - June 06, 2012, 12:26 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
I have poetry in the latest issues of Guardian Angel Kids and Spaceports & Spidersilk (links to both at my website on my "Guy Writes for Children" page). Also had two holiday poems -- for Mother's Day and Father's Day -- published late last month by Super Teacher Worksheets (again, links at my site). And I have children's poetry scheduled for publication this year in Beyond Centauri (in July) and Stories for Children (two poems in the Oct/Nov. Fall issue).

Neal, congrats on your poem in Pockets!

kathy444, yes, it seems one usually doesn't find out until a couple months before when Highlights and Highlights High Five will be publishing accepted work. They've published a couple of my puzzles this year, but I didn't learn the publication dates for those until I received my sample copies a month or so before. And I have no idea when they will be publishing the poem and other puzzles of mine that they have accepted. But they pay right after acceptance which is nice!

#18 - June 09, 2012, 10:51 AM
http://www.guybelleranti.com/
Cow's Bad Dream & Muddy Pig, Clean Pig (the 4th & 5th books in my Farm Friends series ) coming this summer from RR Books

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
The magazine market for children's poetry may be small, but at least there is one! Within the last year, I've sold poems to HIGHLIGHTS FOR CHILDREN, Focus on the Family's CLUBHOUSE JR., and BOYS' QUEST.  I've also had acceptances in recent years from the CRICKET group and although I have not subbed to them in the past year, I know they still have need for poetry so they're still on my market short-list.
#19 - June 10, 2012, 09:48 AM
http://laurasassitales.wordpress.com/
Twitter:  @laurasassitales
GOODNIGHT, ARK (Zonderkidz 2014)
GOODNIGHT, MANGER  (Zonderkidz 2015)

I've sold a couple action rhymes and poems to Highlights High Five (including the current July issue), and  I'm glad to find the names of other possible markets here.  This forum is such a great resource!
#20 - June 10, 2012, 08:44 PM

I've sold some poetry - not lately - but still...
To a couple smaller magazines.
I love poetry.
Always have, always will.
#21 - June 11, 2012, 12:56 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Does anyone know which publishers/editors are especially open to poetry collections in addition to Wordsong, the poetry imprint of Boyds Mills Press? Laurie
#22 - June 11, 2012, 02:07 PM
Laurie Wallmark
lauriewallmark.com
Grace Hopper: Queen of Computer Code (Sterling 2017)
Ada Byron Lovelace and the Thinking Machine
(Creston 2015)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I've sold some poetry to HFC, the Bulletin and a greeting card company (does that count?). I am hungry to sell a book of poetry, but not sure how lucrative it would be. I'm working on it, though! :)

I think a good way to find places especially open to poetry is to go to a book store and find poetry books and look at their publishers. It's worth a shot! :)
#23 - June 11, 2012, 07:36 PM
Being Frank (Flashlight Press)
http://flashlightpress.com/

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
I've sold poetry to Cricket, Spider, Ladybug, and a couple of other magazines. It's funny that I should come across this post tonight because last week I was gathering my published samples for a poetry talk with some students and I had one of those moments where I thought, "I wrote that? Dang. That's pretty good." Although I enjoy writing poetry and have had some success selling it, I tend to undervalue it compared to my other writing projects, and for no good reason. So, I appreciate taking a moment to hug my fellow poets. :)
#24 - June 12, 2012, 11:15 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Yay to all the poetry publications. It's nice to see this thread getting longer and longer.
Vijaya
#25 - June 13, 2012, 04:53 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
  • SCBWI PAL
Hi again,

I just had my first two poems published:
A Father's Day poem:

http://www.superteacherworksheets.com/poems/daddy-lets-play_DPLAY.pdf

A Thanksgiving poem:

http://www.superteacherworksheets.com/poems/turkey-day-friend_FRIEN.pdf

I really have enjoyed reading this thread. Lots of good news!  :yay
#26 - June 13, 2012, 12:45 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Poetical hugs to Mr. K, Cassandra, Donna, awful waffles, poet, AZGuy, Kathy, and ohmylorelei. :grouphug2  Congratulations!

Kim, I loved your post. It made me smile.   :yup  Congrats on your publications!
#27 - June 21, 2012, 01:03 PM

Poster Plus
Got the contract today for a poem in Humpty Dumpty- for the October issue.  :)
#28 - June 22, 2012, 07:01 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Got the contract today for a poem in Humpty Dumpty- for the October issue.  :)

YAYAY!!!!
#29 - June 22, 2012, 11:11 PM
Being Frank (Flashlight Press)
http://flashlightpress.com/

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Congrats, Cindy!!  Awesome news!   :flowers2
#30 - June 23, 2012, 08:02 PM

Members: