SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Group hug for Poets ... Who's had success submitting or selling poetry?

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Yay, Cindy!!  :stars3 Congratulations on that Sparkle publication. I've never succeeded in breaking into Sparkle, so I'm doubly proud of you.

Carrie, that's a great idea!  Isn't that something you'd like to tackle?
#151 - March 10, 2015, 07:28 PM

I'm tempted, Ev.   I'd just have to work out that bankrolling issue.  LOL
#152 - March 10, 2015, 08:59 PM
Thomas Jefferson & the Mammoth Hunt 2018
Dumpling Dreams, 2017
Magic for Sale,  2017
Pia Piratissima 2014
Victricia Malicia, 2012

Poster Plus
Congratulations on the Sparkle publication, Cindy!  :hurrah

Over the years, I've had poems published in Wee Ones, KidVisions, Spaceports and Spidersilk, Fandangle, Stories for Children, Cecil Child, Beyond Centauri, and one in an anthology published by Tangerine Sky Productions, but none in any of the big mags. My last acceptance/publication was in 2012 and was an acrostic poem to Beyond Centauri.

For the last couple years, on the poetry front, the only thing I had been writing and submitting was haiku for adults--and have had haiku appearing pretty regularly in journals. Actually, I just had my 100th haiku accepted a few weeks ago.  :grin3 

This year I've decided to start submitting poetry (as well as fiction and nonfiction) to children's magazines again.

I look forward to hearing more good news from you all! This thread has been very inspiring.  :yup
#153 - March 11, 2015, 05:20 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Congratulations, Gisele, on all your poetry publications!  :flowers2 That's a LOT of poems.

Just want to thank you for publishing my poem in Dragonfly Spirit years ago. That was my very first paid poetry publication.  :love5

Carrie, maybe you could try Kickstarter for funding? I think Spellbound had a successful comeback based on that. (They've discontinued now, but I think that was for other reasons.)
#154 - March 12, 2015, 09:29 AM

Poster Plus
Thank you, Ev!
And, I loved being able to publish writers for the first time! :love5  Which poem was it? I'm sure when you say the title, I'll remember it.  ;)
#155 - March 12, 2015, 10:24 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Gisele, it was called "Gifts of Spring." I remember being delighted not only with the publication, but that the illustration you had accompanying it was lovely.

Thanks again!  :thankyou
#156 - March 12, 2015, 10:43 AM

Poster Plus
Ev, I remembered the title, and I still have a lot of the material tucked away in my files, so I just looked it up and the illustration. I remembered it as soon as I read it. It was a wonderful poem! And, can you believe that was back in 2006! Time flies.

Oh, and you're so welcome! I was honoured to be able to feature your work.  :grin3
#157 - March 12, 2015, 11:13 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I have poems coming in the July and September issues of High Five. Both were submitted and accepted a few years ago, now. I really need to get back on the submitting wagon!
#158 - March 12, 2015, 02:28 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Yay, Carrie!!  :stars3  :stars3 Double congratulations!! That's terrific!
#159 - March 12, 2015, 02:39 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Thanks, Ev! I do love writing for magazines. It's fun to get those happy little emails once in a while amidst all the rejections and stony silence. :-)
#160 - March 12, 2015, 02:43 PM

Poster Plus
Congratulations, Carrie!  :yay   And, wow, a few years? That's a long wait between acceptance and publication! :eek5
#161 - March 12, 2015, 06:14 PM

Poster Plus
My grandson gets High Five. I shall be watching for your poems, Carrie!
#162 - March 12, 2015, 06:28 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Thanks, Cindyb!

Giselle, I just looked up my records. One of the poems was submitted in October, 2013, and the other was August, 2009!! I didn't even realize it had been that long. Highlights pays on acceptance, though, so that's nice. :-)
#163 - March 13, 2015, 06:44 AM

Poster Plus
One of the poems was submitted in October, 2013, and the other was August, 2009!! I didn't even realize it had been that long. Highlights pays on acceptance, though, so that's nice. :-)

Wow, and thank goodness! This certainly isn't the business to be in if you're not the patient type.  ;)
#164 - March 13, 2015, 08:06 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Amen to that, Gisele! Congrats, Carrie! A poem I sold to Highlights in Dec. 2010 will be published this October.  :running  Can't wait!
#165 - March 13, 2015, 11:41 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, BUSY BUS!, THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLED
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
That's great, Jody! Congratulations to you, too!
#166 - March 13, 2015, 12:13 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
YAY for you too, Jody!!  :stars3  Now if my poem that they accepted in 2006 would just get published, then I could add to the celebration.
#167 - March 13, 2015, 01:12 PM

Poster Plus
I'd like to join in, too, with poems they accepted in 2008 and 2013. Something to look forward to!
#168 - March 13, 2015, 02:29 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
I know what you mean, Ev and Cindyb! Hang in there!
#169 - March 13, 2015, 02:47 PM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, BUSY BUS!, THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLED
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Poster Plus
Nice going, Jody and Cindyb! :stars3 Congratulations, and Ev, I hope your poem is published soon!
#170 - March 15, 2015, 04:48 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I didn't know Sparkle took poetry. Thanks for the info.
#171 - March 16, 2015, 08:25 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I've not checked this thread in ages and it's nice to see all the new good news!

Congratulations Carrie, Gisele, Jody, Ev and Cindy!!!! If I missed anybody, it's not intentional. I've not subbed any poetry recently but I did buy a lovely little book called Poemmaking. It's going to be my spring-break study/play.

Vijaya
#172 - March 16, 2015, 09:06 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

It's been too quiet in here for too long. Time to jump in with some summer good news.  Just sold my fourth picture book in rhyme --  :running  :bunnyshake :bunnyshake :bunnyshake

So when all those "voices" tell you it's not possible, listen to your own heart instead!

Now, who else has good news we can celebrate?
#173 - June 23, 2015, 04:47 PM
Dumpling Dreams, 2017
Magic for Sale,  2017
Pia Piratissima 2014
Victricia Malicia, 2012

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
That's fantastic, Carrie! Congratulations!!
#174 - June 23, 2015, 06:08 PM

Poster Plus
Glad someone is having successes! Congratulations!
#175 - June 23, 2015, 07:00 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  :yay CarrieLee!  :yay for rhyming picture books!! Keeping the dream alive here!!
#176 - June 23, 2015, 07:01 PM

Thanks for sharing my celebration CarrieF Cindyb & Murphy44.  It's good to see the market picking up a bit.  Can't wait to hear more good news from everyone in our cozy poetry corner. 
#177 - June 23, 2015, 07:59 PM
Dumpling Dreams, 2017
Magic for Sale,  2017
Pia Piratissima 2014
Victricia Malicia, 2012

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
I'm late to the party (been on vacation), but just wanted to add my congrats to the others, Carrie! I'm so happy for you!!  :stars3 That is wonderful news!
#178 - June 27, 2015, 06:48 PM

Thanks so much, Ev!
#179 - June 28, 2015, 06:43 AM
Dumpling Dreams, 2017
Magic for Sale,  2017
Pia Piratissima 2014
Victricia Malicia, 2012

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I'm late to the party too but wanted to :congratswave on your FOURTH poetry book!!!! That is wonderful!!!
Vijaya
#180 - June 28, 2015, 08:35 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Members: