SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Group hug for Poets ... Who's had success submitting or selling poetry?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Wow! Wow! Wow! How exciting that mail was! Congrats!

(And didn't I see a rebus in Clubhouse Jr. with your name on it?)

Thanks, Cindyb and CarrieF!  And yes, Cindyb, I have a rebus in this month's Clubhouse Jr., "Don't Forget!"  Fellow blueboarder Laura Sassi is in there, too, with a poem and article, "101 Manna Meals."  Give it up for Laura!
#61 - December 07, 2012, 04:39 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, BUSY BUS!, THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLED
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Poster Plus
Yes, I really enjoyed Laura's "101 Manna Meals" poem. Wished I'd thought of that!  Congrats, Laura!
#62 - December 07, 2012, 12:06 PM

Poster Plus
Woo Hoo! A Babybug acceptance! I love that magazine and I'm thrilled when I get to be in it. Now, if they'll just use it- they are still holding the last one they accepted from me.
#63 - January 03, 2013, 05:47 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Hooray, Cindy!!!  :flowers2  So glad to hear about your Babybug acceptance!  Hope they'll publish both of your poems soon.  I know about those long waits; I'm still waiting for a poem to be published by Highlights that was accepted six and a half years ago.   ::-)
#64 - January 04, 2013, 09:56 AM

Poster Plus
Yeah, I've had one at Highlights for 5 years- long waits. (But at least we've been paid for those.)  :)
#65 - January 04, 2013, 06:07 PM

kdgrier

So great to find this thread of fellow poets! It's a lonely world, but I think what someone said in this thread about being a poet will help write picture books, I sure hope so!
#66 - January 10, 2013, 08:49 AM

bj

I've sold two poems to Highlights in 2012, a poem in Beyond Centauri is appearing this month, a poem in Spellbound appeared in their Winter 2012 issue, and they've accepted another one for Spring 2013. I've also had a poem published in the anthology, And the Crowd Goes Wild: a Global Gathering of Sports Poems.  :)
#67 - January 14, 2013, 09:57 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Wow, bj!!!  You're on a roll! :drumroll  Congratulations and best wishes for 2013 being as successful as this past year!
#68 - January 14, 2013, 11:44 AM

Poster Plus
Congrats, bj! What fun to find all those acceptances in your mailbox- electronic or otherwise!
#69 - January 14, 2013, 11:54 AM

:love5:  It's great to get back to the blueboards and see so much poetry goodness happening. I've not had great luck selling poems to periodicals recently... but... deep breath...  I did sell a rhyming picture book to Holiday House -- which has me over the moon!  ***snoopy dancing on the roof ***

:yay

Congratz and thanks to all who've shared their news while I was away, recuperating. I"m looking forward to hearing more as the year progresses.
#70 - April 07, 2013, 10:01 AM
Thomas Jefferson & the Mammoth Hunt 2018
Dumpling Dreams, 2017
Magic for Sale,  2017
Pia Piratissima 2014
Victricia Malicia, 2012

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Rhyming PB?!!! That's your new avatar!!! Looks delightful. I've been so impressed with Flashlight Press books.
Congratulations!!!
Vijaya
#71 - April 07, 2013, 01:07 PM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Congratulations, CarrieLee! Yay for rhyming picture books, and yay for you!

:fireworks
#72 - April 07, 2013, 02:29 PM

Thanks Vijaya and CarrieF!

Actually Vijaya my avatar is also a rhymer... but Victricia Malicia came out last June from Flashlight. The new one, Magic for Sale, won't be out till 2014... so no artwork is available for quite a while.  Sigh.  I'm so bad at waiting. LOL.

Thanks again!  And I'm looking forward to more poetry happiness from all the blueboard poetry peeps   
#73 - April 07, 2013, 02:42 PM
Dumpling Dreams, 2017
Magic for Sale,  2017
Pia Piratissima 2014
Victricia Malicia, 2012

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Carrie, I have one rhyming PB that has gotten a couple of good rejections. I should send that puppy out and try to join the club. How exciting that you have TWO rhyming books! Waiting is hard, but this year will fly.
Vijaya
#74 - April 07, 2013, 05:05 PM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
Congrats, CarrieLee!  That would have me over the moon, too!
#75 - April 07, 2013, 05:44 PM

Thanks Cindy!  And Vijaya.... absolutely! It does take a while to find the right home for a rhymer, but don't quit. The world needs more great rhyming books!
#76 - April 08, 2013, 08:06 AM
Dumpling Dreams, 2017
Magic for Sale,  2017
Pia Piratissima 2014
Victricia Malicia, 2012

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Wow, CarrieLee!  Your second rhyming pb!! That's super wonderful news!!  :partytime  I'm so pleased for you!
#77 - April 09, 2013, 08:30 PM

Happy news today--my first long poem (395 words) "The Last Dragons" was accepted by Spellbound.  After writing short pieces for magazines for a few years, I just realized recently how much I loved writing poetry, so this is a nice affirmation.
#78 - April 10, 2013, 12:51 PM
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 12:53 PM by awful waffles »

Thanks so much, Ev.... it's got me wriggling in my chair with excitement still.

And  :jump: congratulations awful waffles... I look forward to reading your piece in Spellbound!
#79 - April 10, 2013, 01:22 PM
Dumpling Dreams, 2017
Magic for Sale,  2017
Pia Piratissima 2014
Victricia Malicia, 2012

Thanks, CarrieLee, and congrats on selling a rhyming picture book!  That's a great accomplishment, and very encouraging to us all!
#80 - April 10, 2013, 01:28 PM

Recently received an e-mail that I'm getting a Haiku published in Scifaikuest part of sams dot publishing, but it's an adult magazine.  I'm always looking for new markets too.   

Also congrats. to all the poets on this board, and getting your work out for everyone to see.    ::-)
#81 - April 11, 2013, 09:24 PM

How fun is that onestepp? Sci fi poetry is a personal fav of mine, so I'm a bit jealous. (grin).  I'll have to settle for my one bit of May happiness with a poem in Clubhouse Magazine's May issue.  Anybody else got new happy poetry news? I'd love to live vicariously!
#82 - April 30, 2013, 10:15 AM
Dumpling Dreams, 2017
Magic for Sale,  2017
Pia Piratissima 2014
Victricia Malicia, 2012

Poster Plus
Congrats on your May poem, Carrie!
#83 - May 01, 2013, 12:42 PM

Poster Plus
Diana, saw your poem in the August Highlights!
#84 - July 05, 2013, 06:57 PM

Thanks CindyB.   I caught awfulwaffles lovely Last Dragons poem in Spellbound too.  Great work! 
#85 - July 05, 2013, 09:01 PM
Dumpling Dreams, 2017
Magic for Sale,  2017
Pia Piratissima 2014
Victricia Malicia, 2012

:thanks2  Carrie Lee!
#86 - July 05, 2013, 09:40 PM

The write word paints a thousand pictures.
Poster Plus
I don't write poetry often, but I did come up with one not long ago and sold it to Highlights last month. Hopefully I'll get to see it in print before 5 years.

rainchains
#87 - July 05, 2013, 10:55 PM

Thanks for noticing, Cindy!  :thankyou

That one came as a surprise to me. With the last one, they informed me six months prior to publication. But this time, not a peep. I wonder if they inform ahead of time only if you have at least a full page? I didn't get my comp copies yet but I DID get my subscriber copy so I got to see it! Jody actually let me know about it. (Thanks, Jody!) They did change my wording slightly, but upon reflection, I think I do like the line they changed.

Anyway, thanks again.

Congrats on your acceptance, rainchains. FWIW, my poem in the August issue was accepted by them in April 2011. The last poem they published of mine also took about 2 years.
#88 - July 06, 2013, 07:22 AM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

The write word paints a thousand pictures.
Poster Plus
Thanks Diana,

Well two years is not so bad in 'writing time.'

Maybe we should start a new thread for Highlights? Instead of 'response times' one for 'published times.'

rainchains
#89 - July 06, 2013, 11:13 AM

Yes, in writing time, that's practically the blink of an eye! Or maybe a slow wink.

I do sometimes update in the response times thread with a publication date. It would be interesting to see how magazines differ.
#90 - July 06, 2013, 08:11 PM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

Members: