SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Group hug for Poets ... Who's had success submitting or selling poetry?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
What a great thread! Congrats to all! I am trying, no successes yet. Soon may be...
#91 - July 07, 2013, 04:00 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Congrats Carrie, Rainchains, Awful Waffles, and Diana!

Yep, the only poem I've had accepted by Highlights still hasn't been published in 7 years. It's easy for me to remember its acceptance because I shared the exciting news with my mom when she was in the hospital just before she died. And she died seven years ago today.
#92 - July 07, 2013, 06:17 PM

Oh, Ev. My sympathies on the anniversary of your mom's passing. And another Oh! for the seven year wait. I confess to being impatient for publication after just 18 months -- although just to be clear, that wasn't with Highlights.
#93 - July 08, 2013, 03:42 PM
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 03:44 PM by CarrieLee »
Thomas Jefferson & the Mammoth Hunt 2018
Dumpling Dreams, 2017
Magic for Sale,  2017
Pia Piratissima 2014
Victricia Malicia, 2012

Wow, that's a long wait, Ev! But it will be a nice surprise when it's published. Maybe you could even status query them?

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I'm glad you were able to share the exciting news with her.
#94 - July 09, 2013, 08:18 PM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
 :rainHi, I was recently looking over SCBWI THE BOOK International Mkt Survey beginning p. 59. Noticed that many presses, eg, Canadian, accept poetry whereas in America, only Wordsong. Poetry doesn't sell in US? Is poetry dead in US? Why7? I've published in several magazines: Highlights High-Five, Ladybug, Spider, Pockets, Story Friends. Gave up submitting to magazines about 3 years ago in order to organize my hundreds of poems into book/submission form. Because v. busy in addition, just sent out first collection to Wordsong May 2013. Waiting to hear. Since sending, however, learned that the most popular poem topic is "bugs." My collection is Bugs in Your House. Also learned that Wordsong just (as in 2013) published a bug poem book: Face Bug. So...two strikes against. And discovered, stumbled upon, a great non-USA poet: Lynley Dodd from New Zealand. V. popular internationally. Anyone else know her? Like her. She's also a fantastic illustrator--hard to say which she does better, write or illustrate. I think American kids would enjoy HER poetry, but she seems to be unknown here. My huge local library system (King County Seattle) owned only one! of her books (until I suggested buying). I think this is the sort of poetry that young kids love--lots of rhyme, rhythm, loving and adorable, fun, funny, innocent, animals, upbeat.
#95 - August 17, 2013, 08:41 AM
Carol Samuelson-Woodson

Hey Emily ... I understand your dismay with the rather "anti-poetry" verbiage you hear while querying/submitting to US publishers and magazines.  I find that a lot of the reticence comes from beleaguered editors and agents who've been bombarded with reams of badly done verse.  They develop a sad, but understandable, flinch reaction -- and many have simply defaulted to saying "I don't want to read anything written in rhyme or metered verse". 

This saddens me both as a reader and an author, because I think some wonderful work may be falling on the wayside, and never finding a publishing home. I know my life as a young reader would have been poorer without Dr. Seuss, Shel Silverstein, et al.

I do agree with you that in Canada/UK/Australia the market seems to be a little more kind to poetry, esp traditional rhyme.  Thanks for the note on Lynley Dodd. I've put her on my to read list. I'm a huge fan of Julia Donaldson from the UK, myself. 

But take heart, it isn't impossible to sell a poetry collection in the US, clearly  people like Kenn Nesbit and Jack Prelutsky are doing well at it, just to name two.  We'll keep our fingers crossed for you.
#96 - August 30, 2013, 08:47 AM
Dumpling Dreams, 2017
Magic for Sale,  2017
Pia Piratissima 2014
Victricia Malicia, 2012

...chirp ... chirp....

It's been awfully quiet in here?  Anyone with good news to share poetry wise? Surely someone has some fall sunshine to share?
#97 - October 19, 2013, 07:03 PM
Dumpling Dreams, 2017
Magic for Sale,  2017
Pia Piratissima 2014
Victricia Malicia, 2012

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Hi Carrie Lee,

I got a bear card from Highlights yesterday for a poem. That makes two sitting on my desk for poems. A third has been recommended for purchase.
#98 - October 19, 2013, 07:28 PM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, BUSY BUS!, THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLED
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Congrats, Jody! That's exciting.

I've been really bad about submitting this year. This is a good reminder for me to get some subs together. I'm waiting to hear on some Carus subs from April, but I don't have anything else out there.
#99 - October 19, 2013, 08:22 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Thanks, CarrieF. I've got some things sitting with Carus, too. Good luck!
#100 - October 20, 2013, 05:51 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, BUSY BUS!, THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLED
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
YAY! Jody! I am waiting to hear from my last R&R to High Five  :crossedfingers it turns into a sale! It's rhyme too! My first sale with them was rhyme :)

I also have a rhyme out with Ladybug...been in progress since April.
#101 - October 20, 2013, 06:14 AM
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 12:28 PM by Schriscoe »
'Vehicle Dreams Series' Running Press Kids
Race Car Dreams 2016
Bulldozer Dreams 2017
Fire Truck Dreams 2018
The Sparrow and The Trees- Arbordale 2015

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Wow, Jody! Congratulations! What a great way to kick off the holiday season. (I can't believe it's almost November.)

Do you mind if I ask you what the response time was?

:gogirl
#102 - October 20, 2013, 10:13 AM
Anita N. Amin

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Thanks, guys. Starfish, probably 5 weeks for the most recent sub and bear card. I've been waiting on the other bear card since August 27. The one that has been recommended for purchase got lost in the pipeline, so it's been longer, like a year. I know that's not typical, though. Just a snafoo.
#103 - October 20, 2013, 11:51 AM
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Wahoo Jody!! That's impressive. :D
#104 - October 20, 2013, 03:31 PM
Dumpling Dreams, 2017
Magic for Sale,  2017
Pia Piratissima 2014
Victricia Malicia, 2012

And Schriscoe... we'll be keeping our fingers crossed with you!  Love hearing good news.
#105 - October 20, 2013, 03:32 PM
Dumpling Dreams, 2017
Magic for Sale,  2017
Pia Piratissima 2014
Victricia Malicia, 2012

And CarrieF  I'm in the "hold" pattern with Carus too, since April. Hoping the delay means good things, for both of us.
#106 - October 20, 2013, 03:34 PM
Dumpling Dreams, 2017
Magic for Sale,  2017
Pia Piratissima 2014
Victricia Malicia, 2012

Poster Plus
Wheee!  I made my first poetry sale to Spider! Subbed to submittable in July, and had the acceptance today. I' ve sold to Babybug and Ladybug- I must be growing up, er, I mean, maturing!
#107 - January 17, 2014, 11:23 AM

:yay Hooray, Cindy!!! Congrats! Way to ring in the new year.  :hurrah:
#108 - January 18, 2014, 09:12 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
 :congratulations   :star2  Yay, Cindyb!!!  :star2 :star2
#109 - January 19, 2014, 05:24 AM
www.andriawarmflashrosenbaum.com
Twitter: @andriawrose
Trains Don't Sleep, HMH 2017
Big Sister, Little Monster, Scholastic Press, 2017

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
 :congratulations  CindyB. on the Spider sale!

Update from my Oct. post on my R&R to High Five---they bought it! It is my 2nd sale to High Five, both are in rhyme :) So go rhymers!
#110 - January 19, 2014, 07:09 AM
'Vehicle Dreams Series' Running Press Kids
Race Car Dreams 2016
Bulldozer Dreams 2017
Fire Truck Dreams 2018
The Sparrow and The Trees- Arbordale 2015

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Woohoo, Cindy and Sharon. Congratulations!!
#111 - January 19, 2014, 02:31 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Note to Lady Slipper:  I moved your post asking for help with Tumblr to the Computer, Web, and Tech Discussions board.  I thought you'd be more likely to get answers to your questions there.

Ev (with Moderator hat on)  ::-)

:yay   Hooray, Cindy and Sharon!  I'm so happy for your successes!  Keep up the great work.
#112 - January 20, 2014, 07:05 PM

Poster Plus
Hooray to you, Sharon!  My granddaughter gets High Five. I will watch for your rhymes!
#113 - January 21, 2014, 08:03 AM

Yay, Sharon!! :yay
#114 - January 21, 2014, 01:44 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I've not check this in a while and it's great to see some more poetry SOLD!!! Congrats, all.
Vijaya
#115 - January 21, 2014, 05:46 PM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
No one's posted here for a while, but I had a poem in June's Pockets magazine and some rhyming riddles in the Sept/Oct Humpty Dumpty. I'm sure others have sold poems recently, we just forget to post here! :beating (love this guy)
#116 - September 13, 2014, 02:29 PM

Poster Plus
Congrats on your published poems! I had a repeat poem in the current issue of Jack and Jill. Just happened to see it in my library's magazine. It was first published back in 09. Always fun to catch your work in print.
#117 - September 14, 2014, 05:14 PM

Congratulations Cindy and JFriday! :hurrah:
#118 - September 14, 2014, 05:59 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
I'm so glad to see your poetry good news, Cindy and JFriday!   :partytime Hooray and congratulations! Cindy, that's especially nice to have a reprint.

I had a combination poem and puzzle published in Hopscotch in August.

#119 - September 14, 2014, 09:09 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I just sold a reprint to Schoolwide. Still waiting for the final contract.
#120 - September 15, 2014, 07:42 AM

Members: