SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Middle Grade romance

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
  • SCBWI PAL
I'm wondering if anyone has any books they can recommend with a love interest in the story. Something well developed, not just hinted at (with a first kiss even).

Thanks!
#1 - May 11, 2012, 08:43 AM

It's upper MG, maybe even YA, but Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen is a good one.

And probably not what you're thinking of, but The Strange Case of Origami Yoda has some of that.

#2 - May 11, 2012, 08:51 AM

Shug by Jenny Han
The Boy Project by Kami Kinard
Savvy by Ingrid Law
#3 - May 11, 2012, 09:24 AM
Twitter: @ KarenBlyToo

Owl Princess
Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
SHUG by Jenny Han.

My book has a romance, but it's not published...yet. ;-)
#4 - May 11, 2012, 09:26 AM
ANTIQUE PIANO & OTHER SOUR NOTES
http://decoowlpress.com

Barb  :owl

Blog: http://owlsquill.blogspot.com

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
OK for Now by Gary Schmidt and Criss Cross by Lynn Rae Perkins have romances. They're upper MG/young YA though.

My book has a romance angle. In my most recent revision, I added in a first kiss that I had previously taken out. We'll see what my editor thinks -- it might come out again!

ETA: I remember Hannah Moskowitz talking about writing one of her MGs -- I think Zombie Tag. She'd written YA before and she wasn't sure about romance in MG, but then when she added it in, her editor said she cheered.  :cheerleader
#5 - May 11, 2012, 09:31 AM
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 09:37 AM by KellyA »
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

The Mostly True Story of Jack by Kelly Barnhill has a kiss.
#6 - May 11, 2012, 10:44 AM
J.Ro
NO PLACE TO FALL (Harper Teen, 2014)
www.jayerobinbrown.blogspot.com
www.jayerobinbrown.com

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
That's right, J.Ro! That was one of the books that inspired me to let my characters kiss rather than just stare at each other moonily. They are 12.
#7 - May 11, 2012, 11:29 AM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Doesn't When You Reach Me have some romance in it? Kind of? Even though I think some of it is talked about in retrospect, like as the kids grow up.
#8 - May 11, 2012, 11:50 AM
Robin

WHEN YOU REACH ME has a kiss or two.

#9 - May 11, 2012, 12:55 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Thanks you guys. Keep 'em coming.

Is there such a thing where the romance is more front and center? Or are they mostly sub-plots?
#10 - May 11, 2012, 01:00 PM

There's a MG book by Patricia MacLachlan called Unclaimed Treasures where a girl of about 12 has romance at the front-and-center of her mind, so it's a big part of the "plot" as it were.  In fact, she has a crush on the man next door, but ends up realizing his son (who is her age) is a much more reasonable first love.  There is kissing and discussion/thinking about kissing (she practices on her bedpost).

I always think P. MacLachlan's writing is charming, but I admit--I liked this book more when I was younger.  I recently re-read it after about . . . twenty years, I guess.  This time around, I guess my reading was colored by the fact that I now have a 12 year old of my own.  I found it a bit squicky.  I'm just not the biggest fan of MG kids kissing, etc., and being obsessed with falling in love (and I know that's just my personal bias as a late bloomer). 
#11 - May 11, 2012, 01:09 PM

Mike Jung

8TH GRADE SUPERZERO is sometimes described as MG, sometimes as lower YA, but it has a nice little romance in it that includes a single kiss.
#12 - May 11, 2012, 01:36 PM

Hi Tracy~
Have you read OLIVE'S OCEAN? It is pretty much a MG romance. (I am not going to spoil whether or not there is a first kiss!)
#13 - May 11, 2012, 02:21 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
  • SCBWI PAL
REAL MERMAIDS DON'T WEAR TOE RINGS has a cute tween romance; it's a sub-plot but a pretty big one.
#14 - May 11, 2012, 02:22 PM
www.annastan.com
Tween novel and picture book author

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Thanks for all the recommendations! Now I have a nice little pile to work through.

#15 - May 12, 2012, 08:30 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
PRINCESS FOR HIRE and IT'S RAINING CUPCAKES -and SCONES AND SENSABILITY
#16 - May 12, 2012, 08:40 AM
The GILDED series (Skyscape/ACP)
www.ChristinaFarley.com
Twitter @ChristinaFarley

Members: