SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

What publisher

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I am having an hard time trying to decide what publisher to send my PB/MG manuscript to.

Would you send it to one that has an fine distribution network or to one that would distribute the
book to libraries and schools in order to get your name out? This would be my first book.

David
#1 - March 07, 2016, 02:23 PM

Send it to both.

Ree
#2 - March 07, 2016, 02:49 PM

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
My personal first priorities are a publisher to which the manuscript is really well suited, and one that is open to unsolicited submissions. Those criteria alone narrow down the options considerably. Education publishers often look for series rather than one-offs, in my experience, but maybe that is just for non-fiction, which I have most often been working on.
Best of luck.
#3 - March 07, 2016, 02:51 PM
I've Got a Tail! - Amicus Ink 2020

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
JulieM

One would be an small press that distribute to libraries and schools and also has an state wide distribution network. The other is an big name publisher with an world wide distribution. I am not looking for frame or money but just as an way to use time.
#4 - March 07, 2016, 03:16 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
David, it's so hard to get a book traditionally published, and most writers receive so many rejections along the way, that I would agree with Ree--if they're both open to unsolicited submissions, and don't require an exclusive, submit to both.

Then get cracking on the next book.  :grin3

:goodluck 
#5 - March 07, 2016, 03:39 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Sometimes it's hard to take the plunge. But have faith. Once the ms is the very best it can be - it's been critiqued and rewritten so the words and story sing - then you've got to send your baby into the world.  Look through CWIM for a list of publishers or look at books similar to yours and note the publishers.  Pick your top three or four houses that are open to unsolicited submissions and that seem to publish the type of ms you've written. Send it out and see what responses you get. Good luck!
Della
#6 - March 07, 2016, 03:52 PM
2019 Books: PRECIOUS BABY &  BEEP! BEEP! SPECIAL DELIVERY & HUGGLE WUGGLE, BEDTIME SNUGGLE
+ more in 2020

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
Hi David! What others said. I would add to target publishers whose finished books resemble what you envision for your own. Good luck!
#7 - March 07, 2016, 04:40 PM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
What they all said.  :clover
Vijaya
#8 - March 07, 2016, 05:18 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
David, as others have mentioned, the larger publishers don't take unagented submissions so this narrows down our submission field automatically. You can find a list of commercial and Educational publishers in "The Book" free for members to download on SCBWI site. Or, as Della said, use the annual "The Children's Writers and Illustrators Market".
 I'm not sure if by "libraries and schools" you mean an Educational publisher as opposed to a commercial/trade publisher?
Your writing may be a hobby to you but keep in mind it's a serious business to the Publishers, so even if you are just trying to keep busy, as you say, make sure you feel prepared for a lot of work if you do find a publisher interested in the manuscript. They will be having you do rewrites, make changes, expecting you to participate in social media promotion of your book.

And be careful of Vanity publishers that disguise themselves as commercial (they call it Trade) publishers and prey on new writers. The red flags are easy to spot once you know what your looking for!
#9 - March 08, 2016, 05:06 AM
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
I'd actually disagree with some of the advice given above. Books for the trade market (booksellers) and ones for the school/library market are often very different, even though trade books can also be sold to schools and libraries. Take a look at published books of both types to see which is a better match for your book. Oh, one other thing. It may be a typo, but books are either picture books or middle grades, not both. Good luck. Laurie
#10 - March 08, 2016, 05:16 AM
Laurie Wallmark
lauriewallmark.com
Hedy Lamarr's Double Life
Grace Hopper: Queen of Computer Code
Ada Byron Lovelace and the Thinking Machin

Dionna

What others said, for sure. And I would add, send it where your book would sit well within their catalog.
#11 - March 08, 2016, 05:17 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
>Oh, one other thing. It may be a typo, but books are either picture books or middle grades, not both<

Good catch Laurie, I totally missed that. David, is there a reason you described your manuscript as PB/MG? Is it a Graphic Novel perhaps?
#12 - March 10, 2016, 03:41 AM
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

Members: