Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
It's okay Tori, now you are back!
Happy Writing Tori and JFriday!

Earth to MelissaK, where are youuuuuuu?  :catmoon
Hope you aren't doing this.  :bangcomputer

I finished my initial revision. Done re-writing scenes. Unfortunately my wordcount blew up from 471 to 635!  :faint
The professional critiquer said not to worry about the WC and first make the story as good as it can be.
Now time to do the second go-around on the story, to fix the awkward sentences, word choice, transitions, etc.
Going to our local regional conference this weekend, where I'll get a critique back on this story (august version of it). This always seems to happen where I send in a MS for a conference critique and then along the way I get a professional critique from somewhere else before I get the conference critique back.
#1052 - October 14, 2015, 08:34 AM
How to Wear a Sari (HMH Books/Versify, Spring 2021)
www.darshanakhiani.com - Children's Book Author

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
darshana, I hope you enjoy that conference! Even if the story's changed, you'll get more ideas.

Your wordcount will end up just perfect. Lots of ideas and revisions before then!
#1053 - October 14, 2015, 08:49 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Phew!
my story is actually only 561 words. I feel a little better now. still have to do second round. but I was just cringing at the thought of having to write an above 600 word count in the query.
#1054 - October 14, 2015, 09:57 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Earth to MelissaK, where are youuuuuuu?  :catmoon

Sorry, I should have mentioned to my accountability buddy that I was going on vacation. Spent the last week in a little cabin with no internet and no electricity. Didn't write much, but now that I'm back I'm raring to go.

Darshana, I'm glad your story isn't as long as you thought. I'm guessing your next few revisions will shave it shorter. Hope the conference critique goes well, even if it is on an old version of the story. (That always happens to me, too. Usually the experience is useful anyway.)

Tori, glad you made it through your latest rough spot. JFriday, keep on keepin' on!

My goal for the day is to type & revise a handwritten scene from my notebook. :typing
#1055 - October 17, 2015, 05:41 AM
Twitter: @MelissaKoosmann

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
I'm here too, Melissa. Hope everyone has a great day of writing or whatever!
#1056 - October 17, 2015, 07:00 AM

Books for Young Readers of All Ages :)
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
Hi, All!
Darshana, I so know what you're going through! My CP is always telling me, "Spare! Spare!"  :hiding You can do it.  :pompons MelissaK, what a treat you had, and your quiet time will pay off with :writing3. JFriday, thanks for your encouragement -- we'll all have a good Saturday, I can just tell.  :typing I'll be thinking hard about plot points for my pb.  :paperbag
Aloha,
Tori :palmtree :pizza
#1057 - October 17, 2015, 07:34 AM
CALVIN'S LAST WORD, Tilbury House 2021
LITTLE CALABASH, Island Heritage 2020
SECRETS IN TRANSLATION, Fitzroy, 2018
and 28 more..
@ipapaverison

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Checking in. I didn't finish that scene yesterday, so I'm back at the same one today. Happy writing!
#1058 - October 18, 2015, 07:16 AM
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 07:19 AM by Melissa K »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Happy Writing Melissa! Glad your time in the woods re-charged you. So happy to hear you didn't get snatched away by aliens. :-)

I was at our regional conference yesterday. Went really well for an editor and an agent that I will submitting to in the near future. I was bummed that I didn't get either of my two mentioned choices for the critique (agent/editor) but I got lovely critique from an illustrator. Interestingly there were just a few small things "things to think about" suggestions. Which is interesting considering I have re-wrote about half the scenes of the book. Guess I'll see what my CPs say over the next few weeks.
Won't be getting any time to work today. But am reving to get the line-edit revision done by Wednesday so I can send it to first CP group.

Tori- did you figure out your plot points?

JFriday - hop you had a good writing day yesterday.
#1059 - October 18, 2015, 02:16 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Finished that scene yesterday and started the next one. I hit 1000 words in a day for the first time in months. Today I'm going to try to finish the latest scene.

Darshana, it's always weird to get positive comments on scenes you've edited out. Are you planning to return to the earlier versions, or do you feel like the new scenes are better? Either way, I'm glad your conference went well and gained you some new industry connections.

Tori, I hope those plot points are falling in line.

JFriday and all, happy writing! 

:typing

#1060 - October 19, 2015, 07:09 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Melissa, glad you finished that scene. BTW, your cabin sounds glorious.
darshana, I hope you can work through what you need to change and let go of what you don't.
Tori, how are those plot points going?
Sent some submissions out over the weekend and today I'm doing more market research. Oh, and writing, too!
Happy day, all! :running  - love that guy.
#1061 - October 19, 2015, 07:17 AM

Read to your kids
Poster Plus
I'm back! I've been busy polishing pitches, queries and first 250 words for Pitch Slam and NoQS. I rewrote my pitch after receiving some awesome feedback from BB friends. I sent my 250 words off yesterday. Now I want to rewrite my query, I may hire a professional to look at it.  :running

Melissa, It sounds like you're getting into the swing of things with your writing schedule. 1000 words a day is awesome!
Darshana, If your story is in the 500 word range, you don't have far to go before it will be finished. Good luck with the CP rounds!
Tori, I usually run through my pb ms several times using 20 tools that Jodell Sadler recommends in her class. I've never thought about using PP in pb's, but that's a great idea because they need to have their own set of energizing points just the same as novels! Lots of luck with your project!
JFriday, what have you been working on lately?

Keep up the good writing, Everyone!!! :goldstar

#1062 - October 19, 2015, 10:10 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Welcome back, Cali!

JFriday, sounds like you're chugging along.

I finished yesterday's scene. Only 500 words for the day, but that's still pretty good for me, and I'm still moving forward. Onward!
#1063 - October 20, 2015, 06:53 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Welcome Back Cali!

MelissaK - great job with getting those words out. life stuff is derailing my writing time at home, hoping to spend some time during my lunch hour today.
#1064 - October 20, 2015, 07:20 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
Verrrry late to check in, but happy to be here and see how everyone is doing! Thanks for the good words, Cali, and welcome back to the toilers' trench. Darshana, hope your lunch hour is productive.  :writing3 I finished a blog post yesterday for PiBoIdMo (anyone else but me signing up to do the 30 days this year?) and got an idea for my MC in that nascent idea....

Happy writing and revising, all,
Aloha,
#1065 - October 20, 2015, 12:17 PM
and 28 more..
@ipapaverison

Read to your kids
Poster Plus
Rewrote a first page--the hardest thing ever. Now to put my query and first page together for a submission to a contest.
#1066 - October 20, 2015, 06:21 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Good morning!

Cali, sounds like you're busy. I hope your query and submission go well.

I'm submitting some pieces to the CETE testing service to keep me busy while my latest novel queries are out with agents. My current project is a rewrite of a folk tale. I'll work on that today, and later, when it warms up nicely outside for probably the last time until next May, I'm supposed to go kayaking. Yay!

Tori, hope that pb idea works. And darshana, don't stress. Sometimes life gets in the way for a bit. That's okay. Hope you enjoy whatever you can get done.
#1067 - October 21, 2015, 05:19 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
Good morning, all!
Hi ho, hi ho....:writing3

Aloha,

PS: JFriday -- KAYAKING????  Wow!! :pompons Have fun -- you are a stronger and braver woman than I!  :hiding
#1068 - October 21, 2015, 06:16 AM
and 28 more..
@ipapaverison

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Good morning! Wow, this thread is hoppin'. :star2 :star2

Darshana, I'm sorry life stuff is piling on at home. It's great you're finding time to write. We're cheering for you. :pompoms

Tori, best of luck with PiBoIdMo.

Cali, awesome job doing the hard work of rewriting. Best of luck with your queries.

JFriday, good luck with the queries, and with the CETE pieces, too. Have fun kayaking!

I had another productive day yesterday. I'm going to have about two hours free to devote to my novel during my usual paid work hours today, so I went ahead and slept through my normal morning writing time. Pretty sure it was a good choice--I'm well rested and itching to get started.
#1069 - October 21, 2015, 08:17 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Checking in.
#1070 - October 22, 2015, 07:02 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
I managed to finish my revision and send it off for a first-round of critiques. I'm happy with the work, but mentally/emotionally drained from the home stuff. Do you guys have trouble writing when other parts of your life get a bit bumpy?

I'm kind of yearning to write something new. Good thing PiBoIdMo is coming up in November. I could use an energy boost. Now I just have to send the editor in my head on an early vacation. :-)

JFriday - kayaking cool! good luck with the queries.
Tori - so cool you are doing PiBoIdMo too!
Melissa K - How for along are you in your novel? What's your next goal?

#1071 - October 22, 2015, 10:32 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Forgot to check in but I was working this morning! Finished and sent off a piece to a magazine, snail mail. Why do they still want that??

Kayaking was great yesterday! My friend and I went upriver on the Schuylkill and we were the only ones on the water. The water was cold but the air was warm and the trees were turning. It was lovely. Tori, you'd love it!
#1072 - October 22, 2015, 01:51 PM

Read to your kids
Poster Plus
Spent most of the day thinking about November and all the writing opportunities.  :star2 :star2 :star2 Is anyone else preparing for the big writing month? I'm gathering charts, lists, and story ideas. :goldstar
#1073 - October 22, 2015, 04:44 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
G'morning and Happy Friday!

Cali, I'm always tempted by NaNoWriMo, but I write novels and seem to have my own pace - which hasn't been 50K in a month at this point. Plus I never seem to be at the beginning point when November rolls around. But go for it!! I think it would be loads of fun!
#1074 - October 23, 2015, 06:53 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
Good Morning, Everyone!

JFriday, your kayaking sounds peaceful! Cali, yes, I'm in for PiBoIdMo. You're right -- there are many writing extravaganzas going on in November.

Happy writing, all! :writing3

Aloha,
#1075 - October 23, 2015, 07:00 AM
and 28 more..
@ipapaverison

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Darshana, I'm sorry your home stuff is dragging your writing down. That definitely happens to me--probably to everybody who does creative work. I hope things start looking up for you soon. In the meantime, we're cheering for you.

JFriday, good luck with that snail mail submission. I agree that snail mail in these times is weird.

Cali, best of luck with November. I'm not any of the November events this year because I'm in a slow and steady phase, but I am cheering for you and everyone else who jumps in for a big push. :pompoms

I'm about halfway through the beginning sequence for my YA speculative fiction novel (part one of a book that will be five or six parts). It's going to be a long book, so this "beginning" section will be about 10,000 words, maybe more. It's in an epistolary format, and I'm about to start on the fourth letter. It'll be pretty long, so my goal for the day is to bang out a couple of pages.
#1076 - October 23, 2015, 07:07 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Ah, Cali, it was PiBoIdMo. Sorry to confuse, of course it's that one. Haven't done that either, although again, it's tempting. Good luck to you and Tori!

Melissa, hope you get those pages done today. There's something that solidifies a story when you reach 10K.

darshana, sorry you're going over bumps. Yes, it makes writing harder. Hang in there.
#1077 - October 23, 2015, 08:22 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Thanks JFriday and Melissa.  :grouphug2
Cali & Tori - I'll be there doing PiBoIdMo next month.

Since I have a week before the critiques start coming back, going to use the time to catch up on class reading and a bunch of webinars. Then I'm thinking I should start brainstorming on the story arc for the 2nd book in a possible character series.

Melissa - cool. glad to hear you are cranking along. I've read books which are three parts. How does a 5-6 part book fit with the three act structure? I'm just intrigued.  :studia

Happy Friday!
#1078 - October 23, 2015, 08:34 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Darshana, I'm not following the prescription of any particular writing book, but I'm thinking roughly in terms of an old-school five-act structure, with the first act being (gulp) exposition. Sort of. I show my character going through action, wrestling with a problem, but my real task in the first part is to acquaint the reader with the world and characters. The inciting incident will happen in the last letter of the section.

This is scary for me because I've always been coached to launch straight into the plot, no dilly dallying. But this story is set in a totally different world that takes some serious getting used to, and I feel like I have to give the reader time to understand the main character's unfamiliar (to us) status quo before she leaves it behind. The CPs who have seen the first five pages thought I was on track. We'll see what they say after I give them more.

My rough outline is divided into sections based on natural breaks in the action; like I said, I'm not following the prescription of any particular writing book. But if I think about the outline in terms of bare plot bones, it looks something like this:

1. Exposition & inciting incident
2. Rising action
3. Stakes increase, more rising action
4. Stakes increase, climax
5. Falling action & denouement (or the denouement may fall into a very short sixth part)

Sorry if this was way too much information.
#1079 - October 23, 2015, 10:06 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Thanks Melissa! Since I'm still a newbie to the novel writing craft. I love to hear about other people's processes. Thanks for sharing!
#1080 - October 23, 2015, 10:35 AM

Members: