SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

The Official EARLY RISERS and NIGHT OWLS Club

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
Alright, I've been working since a little after 10. Outlining a new idea and some character development for a new PB. Trying to capture a voice for each character. Done a little dialogue. I like to end at a spot I've left blank for instance, Who brings the news of what has happened that sets off the next spot of writing. So then as I'm laying down awaiting sleep I can be noodling around ideas of who this character will be, how they were involved, their voice, characteristics, etc. so I'm off to hopefully flesh out this bearer of bad news and hope everyone else has a good night or early morning of writing.
 :giddyup
#331 - August 26, 2013, 12:51 AM

Admin Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
Good morning! It's the first day of school and tomorrow my critique group reconvenes for fall. I've fallen behind in my writing schedule, so today I've got to work like mad to get my outline ready for tomorrow. Work, work work!  :tornado
#332 - August 26, 2013, 03:23 AM
http://www.vonnacarter.com
twitter @VonnaCarter

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
I'm here too. Finished an absolutely horrible first draft over the weekend that's full of holes and has a major plot element that, by the end, totally doesn't work. sigh. I'm taking a break from that one and working on something else while, hopefully, I can figure out how to rescue the mess. :2brickwall
#333 - August 26, 2013, 04:22 AM

Luv2eatreadwrite

Good Morning all:

I am sitting on an ms with no where to go.  I have to clean it up quickly....very quickly.  Hope you all have a great writing day.
#334 - August 26, 2013, 05:13 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Good Morning, re-writing the beginning to my PB again.
#335 - August 26, 2013, 06:15 AM
How to Wear a Sari (HMH Books/Versify, Spring 2021)
www.darshanakhiani.com - Children's Book Author

Member.
Poster Plus
Worked until 4:30 this morning.  it was awful early when the alarm went off at 6:30 but felt like i made a real start on this new idea. Settling in to work for tonight now. I aim for that 10 pm-2am slot. Did come up with the idea of who the victim was and how news traveled back to the main charcter. Tentative idea for ending.
Darshana Good luck on your rewrite. I'm sure something will click into place when it is just right.
Vonna, hope you made good progress on your outline. Looks like we are all falling back into our Fall routine.
Good writing everyone. :snoopy
#336 - August 26, 2013, 09:34 PM

Luv2eatreadwrite

Good Morning All:

Checking in with coffee, water, and new idea.  Happy writing all.
#337 - August 27, 2013, 04:05 AM

Admin Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
Oh, JFriday, I've been there!  :(  I've got a few of those one-draft novel hiding in my computer. But I hope you don't have to abandon this one. Maybe getting back into the fall routine will help you straighten it out.

Luv2eatreadwrite, I hope you made progress cleaning up your ms! :sweeping:

darshana, good luck with your rewrite! :pompons:

majanecka, you worked until 4:30 then got up at 6:30? YIKES!  :medusa
#338 - August 27, 2013, 04:13 AM
twitter @VonnaCarter

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Good morning everyone!
Thanks Vonna.
Have fun with the new idea luv2eatreadwrite
majanecka - i don't know how you do that. I'd be like  :crazy
hang in there JFriday.
#339 - August 27, 2013, 06:19 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm setting it aside for a bit. It'll gel at some point. Today I'm focusing on querying agents. Again.
#340 - August 27, 2013, 06:32 AM

Luv2eatreadwrite

Hi all

Thanks for the encouragement Vonna.  Good luck all!
#341 - August 27, 2013, 04:08 PM

Luv2eatreadwrite

Good Morning All:

I hope all is well with each of you.  Today's writing goal is 1000.  1000 words to add to my manuscript.  Wish me luck, I need it. :)
#342 - August 28, 2013, 04:40 AM

Admin Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
Good luck, Luv2eatreadwrite!  :goodluck
I had a good critique session yesterday and can't wait to revise my outline today. I might even get started on a chapter!  :writing3
#343 - August 28, 2013, 05:01 AM
twitter @VonnaCarter

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Here's wishing 1000 word days and/or 5 queries for everybody! Me: working on a new scene for a chapter.
#344 - August 28, 2013, 06:52 AM

Luv2eatreadwrite

Thanks all! 

Anne, good luck with your five queries.  I am still researching how to write query letters.  I am not good by a long shot.  When I did the WriteonCon, I got great feedback on my picture book.  I had a few offer to reserve a copy because they wanted to add it to their collection when it gets published.  However, they all said the query that I had up did not represent the manuscript that was posted.  Reading the query, it did not sound anything like the book.  So I put the book and the query on the back burner.  I have to learn how to sell that book.  I'll look at it again over the weekend. 
#345 - August 28, 2013, 07:52 AM

Luv2eatreadwrite

Good morning,

I am here.  Good luck, writing friends.
#346 - August 29, 2013, 02:33 AM

Admin Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
I'm here, too. :coffee
#347 - August 29, 2013, 03:06 AM
twitter @VonnaCarter

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Checking in. Have to drink more  :coffee3: :coffee3:.
#348 - August 29, 2013, 03:51 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I'm here, too. Moving slowly but steadily.
#349 - August 29, 2013, 07:10 AM

Luv2eatreadwrite

Good Morning All:

I am not feeling my best this morning.  However, time to look at some ms and remodel them. Drinking Pepper tea w/lemon and  mint.  Hope to send the nausea away.  This heat is making me feel less than my normal being.  Good luck with the writing.
#350 - August 30, 2013, 04:59 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Sorry you're under the weather, Luv2. Great that you're plugging away in spite of it all!
#351 - August 30, 2013, 05:52 AM

Luv2eatreadwrite

Thanks, Anne. 

I am trying. 
#352 - August 30, 2013, 06:57 AM

Admin Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
Good morning, all. I hope you are feeling better today, Luv2eatreadwrite.
#353 - August 31, 2013, 06:16 AM
twitter @VonnaCarter

Luv2eatreadwrite

Good Morning All:

Well Vonna, I am feeling a little better this morning.  I woke up to the roar of thunder, the flash of lightning and the splatting of rain drops on my  window pain.  I love the rain, I hate the thunder.  But maybe I can get some writing done.  The rain can bring out some shady behaviors.  Let's see if I can it on paper. :)  :lol4

#354 - August 31, 2013, 06:26 AM

Admin Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
I love thunder! (But have a deep respect for  :lightning:) I hope you captured some of that rain-inspire misdoings, Luv2eatreadwrite.  :grin

I broke the ice with my MC in my new WIP yesterday, so now that I kinda know the girl, maybe we can get this party going.  :bangbreak
#355 - September 01, 2013, 05:48 AM
twitter @VonnaCarter

Luv2eatreadwrite

Good Morning All:

Slept in this morning.  Waiting on my coffee to finish brewing.  Vonna, how was the WIP yesterday?  Did you get much accomplished?
#356 - September 01, 2013, 06:47 AM

Luv2eatreadwrite

Good Morning,

I am checking in this morning.  I hope to get at least 1000 words written today.  I hope everyone enjoy his/her Labor Day. Happy Writing, all!
#357 - September 02, 2013, 05:54 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Good Morning Luv2eatreadwrite. Have a great writing day.
I working on a PB revision .. again. :-)
#358 - September 02, 2013, 07:42 AM

Luv2eatreadwrite

Good Luck with that...Worked on a couple PB's last week.  Put them down will go back to them in a few days. Working on MG now.  Happy writing.
#359 - September 02, 2013, 11:14 AM

Admin Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
Good morning all!
Luv2eatreadwrite and darshana, I hope you met your goals for the weekend.

I didn't get as many words into the new WIP as I wanted but I got enough to be happy about it. I really want this book to be in third person, but I was having a rocky start, so I wrote the first chapter in first person, then revised it to be in third. That worked out well, so then I was able to move on and write chapter two in third without that feeling that I didn't know my MC. There is a writing workshop I've wanted to apply for, but wasn't sure I'd be far enough into my WIP (I have to send 15 pages by 9-22 but I hope to be much farther along than that), but after yesterday morning's writing session, I felt good enough about it to apply. Now I just have sit and wait to hear if I was accepted.  :waiting
#360 - September 03, 2013, 04:16 AM
twitter @VonnaCarter

Members: