SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

The Official EARLY RISERS and NIGHT OWLS Club

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Hello ERNO's! (OK to use the acronym?)  :whistle

I love the idea of this group. I am an early rising writer - with little ones it is the only way I can get the writing time I need. My schedule is a little out of whack as I now have a four-day-old daughter...How am I even typing this now?!  :typing
I would like to participate when I am back on a regular schedule, but I'll check in when I can. Anyone else on Pacific Standard Time?

Thanks, and write on!

Mike
#511 - March 26, 2014, 09:25 AM

Books for Young Readers of All Ages :)
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
Welcome to the ERNO's, and congratulations on a four-day-old daughter! :)  Yes, some of us are Pacific time, yours truly included!
Happy early writing!
Aloha,
Tori :palmtree :pizza
#512 - March 26, 2014, 11:52 AM
CALVIN'S LAST WORD, Tilbury House 2021
LITTLE CALABASH, Island Heritage 2020
SECRETS IN TRANSLATION, Fitzroy, 2018
and 28 more..
@ipapaverison

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region northtexas
Congrats, Mike, on the new baby...4 days old? Grab some zzzz's when you can!  Checking in at an odd time....go figure...I had a few extra mins...
#513 - March 26, 2014, 06:08 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Oooh, I like ERNOs! Great idea, Michael! And congratulations on a lovely daughter!

Ok, it's not very early, but it IS Sunday so it counts. I've already done crit group work this morning and now on to my stuff. Happy writing, all!
#514 - March 30, 2014, 06:24 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Happy Monday! I hope everyone has a productive week!  :star2
#515 - March 31, 2014, 03:41 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
4-day old daughter??? (sigh) Congratulations, Mike.
So here I am, bright and early, procrastinating already . :duh

But only because yesterday I finished the 2nd round revisions on my novel and feeling pretty darn smug right now.
Maybe I'll do something totally out of character and celebratory today ... like pay bills.  :yeah

Have a great week everyone!
Jean
#516 - March 31, 2014, 05:44 AM
Jean Reidy
Coming soon: Pup 681, Truman, When the Snow is Deeper Than My Boots Are Tall, Group Hug , Specs and Specs II.
Others at www.jeanreidy.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
morning, everyone. Hope you got your bills paid, Jean. I'm trying to put my brain in gear and get something done...more  :coffee3: needed.

Happy writing!
#517 - April 01, 2014, 03:54 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Good morning! Anyone else working? I just sat down with my second cup of  :coffee3:. Happy writing, everyone!
#518 - April 03, 2014, 03:38 AM

I got up early, and finished a small middle grade poem.

I might go back to my poetry roots.
#519 - April 06, 2014, 06:05 AM
You can find my stuff at: uggc://plorephyg.bet/~fnenu/oybt.ugzy

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
I am with East Coast Adorables ( :yay ), but I will scribble in my notebook on the plane tomorrow. Happy writing, all!
Aloha,
#520 - April 06, 2014, 06:15 AM
and 28 more..
@ipapaverison

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Tori, I love hearing you're with the Adorables! Hope you have a smashing time!

Sarah, congrats on the poem.

I'm putting some writing work in before church. Happy writing to everyone!
#521 - April 06, 2014, 06:53 AM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Hi there,

Glad you like ERNOs, JFriday! That's the way my mind works sometimes - acronyms, spoonerisms, etc. I can't help it.
Anyway, as you can tell by the time I am posting, I am not on any regular schedule at this point (daughter is two weeks and two days old), but I'm trying to get back in the swing of things. I like seeing what you are all working on.
Me: looking at an old draft of a MG short story to see if it still has legs. Also in beginning stages of outlining a new YA novel.

Attending my first SCBWI regional conference this coming weekend. Very excited and hopeful!

Cheers,
Mike
#522 - April 06, 2014, 04:42 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Well, it's nowhere near early morning or late at night but I'm checking in anyway. I seem to be forgetting in the mornings. On spring break and my goal is to add 10K to my newest YA. Started writing Monday morning; I'm up to 7K and 2 days to go!

Michael, I hope you enjoyed the conference - how did it go? And give a kiss to that sweet new daughter of yours! And to your wife - I remember those days. And nights... :newbaby:
#523 - April 18, 2014, 01:47 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Congratulations, Jean! I recently finished my 2nd round of revisions on my novel, too. Feels like an enormous weight has been lifted from me. Have even written a query letter that works (I think). Are you ready to start querying now? Or maybe you already have an agent. I'm not sure.

Stella
#524 - April 18, 2014, 05:26 PM

Back to writing every day again. 7,000 words into my next novella, writing from 11:30.
#525 - April 26, 2014, 05:37 PM
You can find my stuff at: uggc://plorephyg.bet/~fnenu/oybt.ugzy

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Good morning, ERNOs! Getting some writing done quickly before I'm off to work.

Have a great Monday, everyone!
#526 - April 28, 2014, 04:44 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Just finished some writing before leaving for work. Anybody else writing earlier?
#527 - May 01, 2014, 04:37 AM

Just chiming in to congratulate you, Mike.
JFriday: I can join you.
Spent the night at my mother's last night and woke early so I packed my bag and headed home. I couldn't stand hearing her and her husband snore in unison through the bedroom wall.
Why am I surrounded by such snoring beasties? Parents, friends, cats and John, the champion.

Anyway, I hopped on the bus and took out my refill pad and got a few scribbles before disembarking. More written this afternoon.
 :beam If my boys (characters, not male cohabitants) discovered, they would be ecstatic.
Two chapters revised and another written.
Making truffles to relax tomorrow and surrendering my laptop to a better cause for the evening. John has an exam in the morning. Then I shall repossess it for the foreseeable future.
Happy working, guys. I will shut up now and make dinner.
#528 - May 01, 2014, 09:52 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Anyone waking up Early? I am trying to set a new habit for 2015 of waking up an hour before the family to work on my writing.
#529 - December 30, 2014, 06:40 AM
How to Wear a Sari (HMH Books/Versify, Spring 2021)
www.darshanakhiani.com - Children's Book Author

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
Good morning, Darshana, and any other fellow-toilers! Yes, I am always up and happy to join you. What a great resolution; I may have to channel your resolve!

Aloha,
#530 - December 30, 2014, 07:58 AM
and 28 more..
@ipapaverison

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Bad Darshana! :uhuh I cannot begin to tell you how dismayed I was to see this old thread pop up again!

OK, I'm in for tomorrow.  One morning at a time, I always say.
#531 - December 30, 2014, 11:38 AM
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 11:41 AM by AnneB »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
 Oh, AnneB,  :yup !  Now I am :lmao !
We're in it again, up to our eyeballs!

Hauo'li Makahiki Hou!
#532 - December 30, 2014, 12:23 PM
and 28 more..
@ipapaverison

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I'm being a night owl over Christmas vacation, but once school starts up again I'll be an early riser. Being a night owl comes more naturally, but I can't manage coherent sentences after a full day of teaching. So next week it'll be insanely early mornings, and I'll be glad to check in with my fellow sufferers writers. Do we have a sleepy smilie? I see this guy  :zzzz but I'm hoping to be a little more alert than that!
#533 - December 30, 2014, 08:54 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I'm here, ms file open. Our household is still in vacation mode for the next few days; next week I'll probably be earlier. Happy writing, everybody.
#534 - December 31, 2014, 05:59 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
Good morning, all, and, yes, I am late! It's 40 here in CA (I know, having lived in MN for 10 years that this is shorts weather!) and it was more fun to doze under thelwarm covers than to sit at the laptop and begin revising, but....I couldn't let this party continue without me, too! Happy writing and Happy New Year, everyone!
Aloha,
#535 - December 31, 2014, 08:12 AM
and 28 more..
@ipapaverison

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Yeah!! Happy to see you guys back. There is no way I can do the 5am thing starting next week with out you fine folks to hold me accountable.
Sorry I missed yesterday. Will be back tomorrow morning at 6am!

AnneB - LOL!
Tori - I agree it is freakishly cold in CA. Brrr!
MVP - I am sure to be like  :zzzz  most mornings.
#536 - January 01, 2015, 10:51 AM
How to Wear a Sari (HMH Books/Versify, Spring 2021)
www.darshanakhiani.com - Children's Book Author

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I forgot to sign in this morning, but I was up around 7 AM my time! Writing...none yet. As far as I'm concerned, the new year starts on Monday, when everybody else's schedule goes back to normal.
#537 - January 01, 2015, 01:08 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
Okay, okay, okay, I checked this morning, but, seeing no one here, felt a little like the Lone Ranger, so I took down and put away all the Christmas decorations, instead, while DH was watching football. :xmascheer
Does that sound like an excuse for not writing?  :yup
It makes me smile to see you two here! :) Yes, I'll be here tomorrow AM, I promise, and first will be writing letters to the Adorables on the east and west coasts. Also, the bunnies who live in our yard write the Adorables letters, along with us. They sign their letters with a green paw print stamp.
Then, I'll get to *aaaaaargh* revising mss! Keeping the lists of "musts" for guidelines close by helps, but, oh, goodness...how to revise so the ms will stand repeated readings, enlarging horizons each time, is quite daunting.
Happy New Year, fellow-toilers!
Aloha and Hau'oli Makahiki Hou,
#538 - January 01, 2015, 06:13 PM
and 28 more..
@ipapaverison

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Aw, sorry you didn't find some company Tori, but if you've got your Christmas decorations put away, you're ahead of me!

Being a night owl tonight, and hoping for some productive work before midnight.   Tea steeping and revisions commencing.  :tea  :writing3
#539 - January 01, 2015, 07:02 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Good morning! TGIF and all that. I've really been up for 45 minutes and online but had to do a few mod things first. Happy writing, people.
#540 - January 02, 2015, 05:28 AM

Members: