SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

The Official EARLY RISERS and NIGHT OWLS Club

Discussion started on

Books for Young Readers of All Ages :)
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
Good morning, all, and I know it's late! This morning was a Skype session with upper Manitoba 2nd graders; it was -21 there. I've been working on pbs, still. Darshana, how are the peacocks coming along?
Melissa K, it sounds like you're having fun writing out of the box!
Happy writing and a happy weekend, all! We're going to pick up the Adorables for a Great Desert (where we live!) Sleepover,  :yay, so I won't be checking in for a while!
Aloha,
Tori :palmtree :pizza
#691 - February 13, 2015, 09:30 AM
CALVIN'S LAST WORD, Tilbury House 2020
LITTLE CALABASH, Island Heritage 2020
SECRETS IN TRANSLATION, Fitzroy, 2018
and 28 more..
@ipapaverison

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
It is going to be in the mid-70's for the next week or so. Crazy weather here in Northern CA. I just need a cold snap to come through since we already booked to take the kids skiing in Tahoe in early March.

Yeah, Melissa on the sci-fi novel. I loved reading Douglas Adams, Carl Sagan, Isaac Asimov years ago.
Tori - have fun with the Adorables. (grandkids? nieces? puppy dogs?) :-)

I am rotating through revisions on some PBs as I'm in a PB mentorship, which sadly comes to an end in another six weeks.    :bluesad

Peacocks research is done. Almost done with the latest changes for a story and then off to my mentor.

Hope you all have a relaxing weekend!
#692 - February 13, 2015, 01:53 PM
How to Wear a Sari (HMH Books/Versify, Spring 2021)
www.darshanakhiani.com - Children's Book Author

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
It's been a mild winter here in Seattle too. It's even been sunny a good deal. Did you know shadows still work in winter?

Tori, have fun with the Adorables. (I've been assuming they're grandkids, no?) And Darshana, I hope you end that mentorship with a bang.

:typing

#693 - February 14, 2015, 05:36 AM
Twitter: @MelissaKoosmann

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
Puppies, Darshana!!!! Seriously, I am LOL! That was so cute! Yes, I can confirm they are grandkids, as Melissa surmised. :)
Best wishes for the conclusion of your mentorship! :)

Happy writing, all!

Aloha,
#694 - February 14, 2015, 06:58 AM
and 28 more..
@ipapaverison

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Okay, I have to jump back in this thread even though it isn't early morning. I've been AWOL for ages - ill dad, he passed right after Christmas, sad times. I've been unable to concentrate on revising a novel I'm working on, so I've decided to focus on the joy of picture books and poetry. Just now I submitted a poem to Chicken Soup for their Christmas edition. I've got a couple of pb mss out with editors from conferences and I'm working on a new ending for another from some input on a rejection. It's wonderful to have direction again. I hate not having writing goals.

Tori, I hope you have loads of fun with the adorables! And Darshana, wishing cold for you! You can have some of ours - it's going down into single digits and negatives here at night!  :cold
#695 - February 14, 2015, 10:57 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Hi JFriday, so sorry for your loss. Glad to hear you are able to write, I'm sure in time you will find the energy and desire to work on the novel. Don't rush it will happen. Do stay warm. I haven't experienced single digits since I was in college in Michigan. Snow I miss but not wind-chill or single digit temps. Stay warm. Sending you some  :coffee3 and  :sun

Tori - Glad I could make you laugh. :-) Hope you are having a wonderful time with the grandkids.
Melissa - Glad to hear you are getting more sun of there. I visited once years ago and absolutely loved Seattle. I got lucky it was a sunny weekend.
#696 - February 14, 2015, 06:11 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Hi everybody, and especially JFriday. So sorry to hear about the hard things you've been through. I'm glad you're here.  :hug

It's fun to hear what you're all working on. Darshana, I love the idea of a peacock PB. Melissa, keep having fun with that YA sci-fi. Good for you, stretching yourself to try something different. Tori, have fun with the Adorables. A sleepover over Valentine's Day weekend sounds fun--and I'll bet the Adorables' parents are appreciative!

I'm about half-way through revising a MG contemporary. Lots of work left to be done. I'm here as a night owl tonight and hoping to get a lot accomplished this week.

Happy Valentine's Day to all!  :love5 :hearts :love5
#697 - February 14, 2015, 08:46 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
JFriday, I'm so sorry to hear about your father, but I'm glad you're here. Re-assembling your writing habit can be a huge challenge after life throws it off-track, but it's a huge relief too. We're rooting for you. :hug

Everyone else, thanks for the kind words, and congrats on your progress, big and small. Hope you're having a fun or productive (or fun and productive) holiday weekend!

:hearts

#698 - February 15, 2015, 04:38 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Good morning everyone! Thanks for your condolences. They're appreciated.

I hope everyone has a great day. Off to figure out my work for the day!
#699 - February 15, 2015, 05:49 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Wrapping things up at midnight. I finished the chapter I was working on, so time for bed. Good luck to everyone who will check in tomorrow morning!
#700 - February 15, 2015, 09:05 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Good morning! Hope you slept well, MVP. I'm getting a spot of writing in before leaving for the day.

Happy writing!
#701 - February 16, 2015, 04:22 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Good morning and happy writing, everyone! Checking in.

:typing
#702 - February 16, 2015, 06:20 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Didn't sleep well last night, so woke up late. Hoping to do some revisions and rhyming exploration during lunch today and tonight.

Melissa, JFriday - Hope you had a good writing session.
MVP - Yeah, on getting a chapter done!  :flame

Back to tech work for me.  :typing
#703 - February 16, 2015, 10:54 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I missed this morning. The usual story--I didn't sleep well, and then the baby woke up early. He was on a mission to fill the morning hours with fuss and adorableness in equal measures. He's teething again, huzzah.

Hope you all have great, productive writing days.

#704 - February 17, 2015, 09:40 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Sorry for the rough night, Melissa K. Hope you get more sleep tonight and get some writing time tomorrow!

We had a snow day here... well, an ice day, technically.  I was off of work anyway, but thanks to the weather my kids were home with me. It was fun, but it cut into my writing time dramatically. I got a little writing done this morning but spent my nighttime writing block doing research. I don't know what possessed me to give my main character an interest in physics. I never even took a high school physics class.

#705 - February 17, 2015, 09:11 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Good luck with the physics research, MVP, and happy writing to all of you!

Checking in. :typing
#706 - February 18, 2015, 06:40 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Ugh, another morning. Okay. Digging in. Best wishes to my fellow early risers & night owls.
#707 - February 20, 2015, 05:42 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
Good morning all, and JFriday, it's good to see you here, and please accept my sympathy along with everyone else's.  :grouphug2
Definitely need :coffee3 here. The Adorables are gone  :cry2 but we did have such fun!
When I've not written for a while and then get to sit down at the keyboard, it is like coming home again! :typing
Happy writing, everyone, and stay warm in  :winter!
Aloha,
#708 - February 20, 2015, 06:54 AM
and 28 more..
@ipapaverison

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Glad you had fun with the Adorables, Tori. Hooray for involved grandparents! The world would be so much worse off without you.

When I've not written for a while and then get to sit down at the keyboard, it is like coming home again

That is cool. When I haven't written in a while, it breaks up my momentum, and I take a few days getting back into the groove. It's why I always try to write on weekends. Otherwise I'd spend Monday-Wednesday spinning my wheels, and I'd only make actual forward progress two days a week.

#709 - February 21, 2015, 05:12 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Tori - glad to hear you had a good time with the Adorables. glad to hear you are able to jump back into it.
Melissa - BIC. I am cheering for you.

My brain is putting up mental roadblocks. Trying to explore rhyme for a PB story and the editor keeps getting in the way such that I can barely get started. It sucks. Here is my internal mental conflict.
- Mentor and CPs suggest trying rhyme for one of my stories.
- I have never written rhyme. Have an ear for it but don't have the wordplay skills.
- Every blog post, advice on writing in rhyme, says you have to live and breath it in order to get good at it.
- I have no desire whatsoever to be a rhymer, however I will concede that I can envision the PB story in rhyme and it could very well work.

Just don't know how to get past this mental block and really start exploring.

Thanks!
#710 - February 21, 2015, 09:13 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Thank you, Tori, for your sympathy. I'm so glad you had fun with the Adorables. I recently found out I have one of those on the way!

Getting ready for a crit group meeting later today, if the weather allows. Snow and ice already canceled early church service, so we'll see. Love getting together with my writing friends!

Off to tweak some pages. Happy writing!
#711 - February 22, 2015, 05:16 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Just did some before-I-go-to-work writing work. Happy day, everyone!
#712 - February 23, 2015, 04:48 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Darshana, I don't know if this'll help, but why not approach the task by telling yourself you'll just try writing a few rhyming lines? It's probably impossible to rewrite a whole book while you're thinking, "I don't know if this is what I want to do" and "Everybody says you have to be totally committed to rhyme in order to do it well." But if you tell yourself you're just playing with the idea of rhyme, it might not feel so daunting, and if you enjoy the play time, the work might roll on naturally from there.

Checking in. Happy writing, everyone!
#713 - February 23, 2015, 05:22 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
Good morning!
I love Melissa's advice for Darshana!  Also, why not take a look at some of Prelutsky's work; he rhymes, but on such silly stuff that it makes rhyming seem like real word play, not word work.  Here's hoping the block dissolves! JFriday, congratulations on the coming Adorable!
Happy writing, everyone!
Aloha,
#714 - February 23, 2015, 06:34 AM
and 28 more..
@ipapaverison

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Congratulations JFriday on the soon-to-be Adorable!
Thanks Melissa that sounds like good advice. I had hoped that I could get that MS ready (the one I am now trying to rhyme) in the next 3-4 months so I would have 5 polished PBs and ready to query. But I think I will have to let that idea go of having 5 stories ready, at least to take the pressure off and let me play.
Thanks for reminding me about Prelutsky's work Tori.

I did revise another PB in the mean time.
Hope you all are doing well with your writing.
#715 - February 23, 2015, 08:09 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
Checking in with :coffee3!
Aloha,
#716 - February 24, 2015, 06:00 AM
and 28 more..
@ipapaverison

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I missed the early morning hours today, but I have a little free time now. :typing 

Happy writing, everyone!
#717 - February 24, 2015, 10:15 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Here as planned this morning. Hope you're all doing well!
#718 - February 25, 2015, 05:47 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Dropping in to cheer you all on! I am on vacation this week but I'll be back at it on Monday.
#719 - February 25, 2015, 04:51 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Checking in. I just passed the 50-page mark with my manuscript and haven't hit a major block yet. Keepin' on.

Happy writing, everyone!

#720 - February 26, 2015, 06:16 AM

Members: