SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

The Official EARLY RISERS and NIGHT OWLS Club

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
argh. Been sick and crabby. Finally stayed home today and hope to get some writing done.

Melissa, congrats on the 50-page mark. That always makes it feel like a real book to me.

darshana, what helped me the most with my verse was working through Writing Metrical Poetry by William Baer. I treated it like a writing course and did all the exercises. I loved it and still keep it nearby as a reference book.

That, and reading lots of pbs written in rhyme, which is always enjoyable.

MVP, enjoy your vacation!!
#721 - February 26, 2015, 08:48 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Aw, JFriday, I hope you feel better soon. Staying home and writing sounds like a good plan.

I feel the same way about that 50-page mark. When I make it this far, I almost always feel like it's worth the effort to get to the end of the draft.

Off to write.
#722 - February 27, 2015, 05:30 AM
Twitter: @MelissaKoosmann

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Melissa  - Congratulations on hitting the 50-page mark!!
(piece of inspiration in case you do get blocked, Kathi Appelt drafted Keeper ~50 times but kept getting stuck after a few chapters - she then realized that what she was writing was the ending of the book. so then went back and wrote the story leading up to it.)

JFriday - sorry to hear you have been ill. hope you were able to get some rest today. thanks for the tip, going to go search for it now!

I have been slacking these past two weeks about getting up. Been going to bed late, and finding the motivation to tackle rhyme has been a challenge. But I'm still here writing/revising/studying here and there during the day.
I had an awesome call with my mentor this morning and she told me to go start querying my PBs to my top agents, keep working on PB craft, and start writing a novel. Eeks. All while raising a family and holding down a full-time job in high-tech, this should be interesting. She also told me I should seriously considering getting an MFA from VCFA. (getting an MFA is on my long-term plan, but probably 3-4 years out)

#723 - February 27, 2015, 03:33 PM
How to Wear a Sari (HMH Books/Versify, Spring 2021)
www.darshanakhiani.com - Children's Book Author

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Sounds like you got some awesome feedback from your mentor, Darshana. We're rooting for you, too.

Thanks for the story about Kathi Appelt. I always love to hear about successes with that kind of block because I have a project on the back burner that seems to be on the ten-year plan.

But I'm chugging along, slow and steady, with the current manuscript. That's why I chose to write about this idea. It felt like one I could follow relatively straightforwardly from beginning to end. Hope it keeps going this way.

:typing
#724 - February 28, 2015, 05:37 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
My baby has been an early riser for the last several days, so I haven't been doing my morning writing sessions. I am managing to sneak time here and there in the afternoons. Has anyone been getting up with the dawn or burning the midnight oil this week?
#725 - March 03, 2015, 04:15 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Having trouble getting up early, have been going to bed too late. But I'm here now, forcing my self to work on the rhyming story 30 minutes. And trying to turn the editor off in my head.
 ** go away editor in my head **   :frypan
#726 - March 04, 2015, 09:28 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region epa
I can relate to the songs they are sing it gets easier with practise and time
#727 - March 05, 2015, 02:56 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I'm back, sleepy and grumpy about going back to work after my vacation. Pass the coffee.

Arrgh, and now I hear my 3 year old crying, so not sure any writing is going to get done this morning after all.  :fury
#728 - March 05, 2015, 03:31 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Oy, Miriam, I hope your kiddo goes back to sleep and gives you some time. Getting up early to write and then not getting to write is the worst.

Also, a personal note to Darshana's internal editor: Shoo, shoo!

I wrote s----y first draft of a picture book the other day. I'm not normally a picture book writer, but it was fun. I'll revise it and put it through some critiques down the road, but for now I'm giving it some space and returning to my novel.
#729 - March 05, 2015, 05:00 AM
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 05:04 AM by Melissa K »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Snow day! Looked out the window at 5:30 and there was nothing. By 7:00 it was snowing hard and the roads were bad. No school today so I can write. Yay!

MVP, you went on vacation - I hope it was somewhere warm and stress-free. Darshana, your mentor sounds great. And Melissa, I switch back and forth between novels and picture books. They're so different, it's like using a different brain level for each. I love both.

Well, this doesn't qualify for very early, but - Happy Writing Day to everyone anyway.
#730 - March 05, 2015, 05:27 AM

Books for Young Readers of All Ages :)
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
Everyone's been busy and productive --  :yay It is great to share our early morning journeys, here! JFriday -- hurray! A snow day! Loved Melissa K's "shoo-shoo" to Darshana's internal editor! MVP, I hope your baby nods off to sleep! In about three minutes, I'm Skyping with "Year Twos" on the Isle of Wight -- then, I can write a bit!
Happy writing, all!

Aloha,
Tori :palmtree :pizza
#731 - March 05, 2015, 06:37 AM
CALVIN'S LAST WORD, Tilbury House 2020
LITTLE CALABASH, Island Heritage 2020
SECRETS IN TRANSLATION, Fitzroy, 2018
and 28 more..
@ipapaverison

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
My little guy has become an early riser lately, which has been rough on my productivity. I'm still making time to write most days, but I miss having the regular time first thing in the morning. Today the baby made a surprise decision to go back to sleep, so I'm going to take advantage of it. Happy writing to all of you! 
#732 - March 08, 2015, 07:34 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
First work day after the time change, and I'm here! Whooo-hooo! Who's with me?

Melissa K, hope your little one sleeps in this morning. Maybe the time change will help with that.
Tori, hope your skype session with the "Year Two's" went well. It sounds like fun. Is Year Two like second grade?
JFriday, hope you had a productive snow-day last week and a great weekend.

Happy writing everyone!
#733 - March 09, 2015, 03:18 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I'm with you, Miriam. Barely managed to drag myself in the door, but here I am. Hope you all have a productive morning!
#734 - March 09, 2015, 07:12 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
 Hi, All,

I had to step away from the laptop, but I'm back, though it's late afternoon. How great you were here this morning! Yes, Miriam, they are second-graders, and their little British accents were adorable!

I'll see you all tomorrow morning, with any luck!

Aloha,
#735 - March 09, 2015, 05:21 PM
and 28 more..
@ipapaverison

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
I'm here with :coffee3 and hope to make progress on revisions. :typing Anyone else around?

Aloha,
#736 - March 10, 2015, 06:51 AM
and 28 more..
@ipapaverison

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I was there, but I forgot to check in. Sneaking back to do it on my lunchbreak.
#737 - March 10, 2015, 08:49 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Hi Folks,

Glad to see you are all writing. I have totally fallen off of the 5am bandwagon, and I miss it. Need to get back to that routine. Life is too crazy right now. Had a good time at a writing conference this weekend, but had no time to write. Now I'm trying to catch up.
#738 - March 10, 2015, 08:50 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Yeah I got my BIC at ~5am ish. So happy to be here, even if it is only for 30mins.
Happy Writing to you all!

-Darshana
#739 - March 11, 2015, 05:13 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
All right, Darshana! Welcome back!
:coffee3 needed now, here!
Aloha and happy writing, all!
#740 - March 11, 2015, 06:24 AM
and 28 more..
@ipapaverison

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
My little guy is sleeping later again, but now I have jury duty. Aargh. If it's not one thing, it's another.
#741 - March 11, 2015, 11:59 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Melissa, ugh. Are you actually on a trial, or just waiting around to see if you get called? I haven't been on jury duty for years (I've just tempted fate now, haven't I) but I remember there being a whole lot of dead time that I tried to use for writing. The atmosphere was so uncomfortable, though, that it was hard to focus.

I have been really good about getting up early this week--only missed once--but less good about checking in. I'll try to be better about that next week. And I'm going to try to get some writing in this weekend, too, although that's hard to do. My home children are no more likely than my school children to voluntarily leave me alone at the computer for any decent length of time. And it's harder to get myself out of bed in the morning when I'm giving up the possibility of actually sleeping in.  My kids are not usually early risers, thank goodness.  Glad yours is sleeping a little later, Melissa!
#742 - March 13, 2015, 08:01 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
MVP, awesome job getting up almost every morning this week. And yeah, there was a whole lot of dead time during the jury selection process, but the atmosphere was way too uncomfortable for writing for me. I did manage to read and comment on most of a friend's manuscript I'd agreed to beta read, so that was something. Unfortunately I wasn't sent home like the majority of folks, and I doubt I'll have much downtime from here on out. Will try to write when I can.

#743 - March 14, 2015, 06:43 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
Ooof, MVP and Melissa! I hope you can eke out a little  :writing3 time! We have (fun  :stars3) family here, so I have to step away from the laptop and notebook for a few days!
Happy writing, all!

Aloha,
#744 - March 14, 2015, 07:17 AM
and 28 more..
@ipapaverison

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Checking in.
#745 - March 15, 2015, 06:18 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
I'm here. Just prepping my entries for tomorrow's PB Party. Contest for PB and Early Chapter Books. http://www.michelle4laughs.blogspot.com/2015/03/picture-and-chapter-book-party.html
#746 - March 15, 2015, 09:19 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Good luck in the contest, Darshana! It's so nice for PB writers to finally have a contest to themselves.  A little pre-St. Patrick's Day luck for you:  :clover :goodluck :clover

I wrote 500 words this morning, which is a good total for me. A happy start to my work week.  :stars3
#747 - March 16, 2015, 03:54 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Thanks MVP! Yeah to writing 500 words!

I am here but just barely. Having a hard time getting through a PB revision.
#748 - March 16, 2015, 05:27 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
I finally finished my revision. Not sure what I think of it, hopefully it's a step in the right direction.
#749 - March 16, 2015, 11:44 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
I'm here. Darshana, hope your pb revisions are good ones. It gets so hard to see it right after working on it for a while.

Happy writing, all!
#750 - March 17, 2015, 03:25 AM

Members: