• SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Title: Oh No, George!
Author & Illustrator: Chris Haughton
Publisher: Candlewick Press, 2012
Book Type: Fiction
Ages: 2-5
Themes: Self-Control, Behavior, Decision Making

This book at first appears to be a simple story of a dog being left at home, but it is so much more than that as the reader gets pulled into George’s emotions of excitement, deliberation, naughtiness, and remorse. A great way to teach kids about temptation but also forgiveness. Harry forgives George when he makes a mess at home, which I thought was very sweet; a lesson I need to be reminded of from time to time.

There are three temptations in the book a cake, cat, and flowers which each appear twice in the book. In the first half of the book when a temptation is shown the reader is asked “What will George do?” followed by a full-page illustration of George making a bad choice and the words “Oh no, George!” He then feels remorse for making a mess and upsetting Harry, this is the turning point as you see George’s character grow. Once again George is presented with the same three temptations but this time he makes good choices. My favorite is the ending of George next to a trashcan, leaving the decision up to the reader of what George will do next.

This is also a wonderful, Read Together book. There is a lot of repetition and predictability in the book. The short, simple repetitive sentences a young child can “read”, while the parent/teacher reads the rest. A teacher can blend in the good choice/bad choice teaching method that is used in used in a preschool classroom. Have kids give a thumbs up or down for each of George’s decisions. The  illustrations are simple with clean lines and bold colors, they are eye-catching.

Thanks,
Darshana
#1 - May 18, 2012, 10:31 AM
How to Wear a Sari (HMH Books/Versify, Spring 2021)
www.darshanakhiani.com - Children's Book Author

Members: