SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Biology in high school

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
I need a topic a h.s. sophomore might study in biology. (This would be early in the year as opposed to the spring.) Any ideas?

Thanks!
#1 - May 22, 2012, 06:26 AM
To the Stars! (Charlesbridge)
Aviation: Cool Women Who Fly (Nomad Press)
Eliza Bing Is (Not) A Big, Fat Quitter (Holiday House)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
DD suggests: Cells, anatomy, genetics.
#2 - May 22, 2012, 06:42 AM
THE VOICE OF THUNDER, WiDo Publishing
THERE'S A TURKEY AT THE DOOR, Hometown520

www.mirkabreen.com
http://mirkabreen.BlogSpot.com

You might try looking at your state's curriculum information online.  It can get pretty detailed.  For example, here's NC's biology standard course of study.  Scroll down for all the details of what students are supposed to learn: http://www.ncpublicschools.org/curriculum/science/scos/2004/23biology
#3 - May 22, 2012, 06:54 AM

I think that's the year we dissected fetal pigs. Ugh.

And yes, I remember doing a good bit of genetic trait study then.
#4 - May 22, 2012, 07:23 AM
SWAY, 2012 from Disney-Hyperion
CIRCA NOW, 2014 from Disney-Hyperion
http://www.ambermcreeturner.com
https://www.facebook.com/SwayByAmberMcReeTurner

Hi: Do sophomores take bio where you live? It's a freshman class around here, but I think those requirements tend to be regional. Early topic this year: class and characteristics - all that vocab long forgotten - genus, phyllum (I probably spelled that wrong) species, etc.

#5 - May 22, 2012, 07:39 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
  • SCBWI PAL
We dissected fetal pigs that year, too. And that's when I became a vegetarian. Also, we studied meiosis and mitosis (which I still don't understand).
 :)
#6 - May 22, 2012, 08:00 AM

GraceRouth

Perhaps Mendel and genetics. Where I live sophomores definitely take biology and I know genetics is part of the curriculum. But you could always check your state standards for ideas too!
#7 - May 22, 2012, 08:13 AM

Poster Plus
Thanks, everyone! These are just what I was looking for.
#8 - May 22, 2012, 08:14 AM
To the Stars! (Charlesbridge)
Aviation: Cool Women Who Fly (Nomad Press)
Eliza Bing Is (Not) A Big, Fat Quitter (Holiday House)

Member.
Poster Plus
Just wanted to add a helpful thought: If you want her to study something different, for plot reasons or whatever, you could put her in honors or AP bio. If that fits her character, of course. There's a lot more leeway with curriculum there.
#9 - May 22, 2012, 12:38 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
  • SCBWI RAE
In Florida they take biology (honors and regular) in ninth grade but they can take Advanced Placement biology in the later grades. If they are going to a private school, then the sequence can be different - for example, public school students take government and economics their senior year but in one of the private schools I cover, they take government their junior year.

LindaB
#10 - May 22, 2012, 07:14 PM

Schmara

My DH is a biology teacher. The 10th graders are in bio here. I'm currently [supposed to be] in the process of editing/proof reading an online biology textbook he's working on.  :pityparty:

His chapters (and sub-sections) in order of study are: Ecology, Microbiology (chem basics, enzymes, macromolecules, cell structures, cell theory, homeostasis, photosynthesis, cellular respiration, dna, protein synthesis, cell growth, mitosis and meiosis, mutation), Physiology (what is physiology, respiratory system, gas exchange in plants, cardiovascular system, vascular system in plants, digestive system, reproductive system, plant reproduction), Evolution (artificial selection, natural selection, evidence for evolution, evolution in the Paleozoic Era, evolution in the mesozoic era, evo. during the cenozoic era, theory of evo., speciation, taxonomy, present classification, animal classification), Genetics (mendelian genetics, variety in reproduction, predicting offspring, non-mendelian inheritance, chromosomes and genetics, sex-linked traits, pedigrees, genetic engineering, inbreeding and cloning, bioehtics)

Probably more than you ever wanted to know, but there you go.
#11 - May 22, 2012, 08:01 PM

Members: