SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Would Deck the Halls reference in PB be off-putting to non-Christian readers?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Working on polishing a PB MS before sending it out and there's one thing that's bugging me....I can't think of any other song references that include "la la la" in the lyrics besides Deck the Halls.  I'm worried that specifically referencing this song might be off-putting to non-Christian readers. 

What do people think?  Would that reference be alienating to a non-Christian audience, even if the song is generally well known? 

Would love to hear thoughts...and any suggestions for an alternate song with "la la la" in the lyrics.

Thanks!

-Kellie
#1 - May 23, 2012, 06:58 PM
You're never too old to become younger. - Mae West

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
I wouldn't think it would be off-putting.  For one, that song isn't really Christian.  lol.

This might make you feel a little better about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deck_the_Halls
#2 - May 23, 2012, 07:02 PM
KISS ME KILL YOU (Entangled Crave, June 12, 2017)
@lchardesty all over the internet

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Ok, fail on my part for not even googling the origin of the song!!  I just totally made an assumption.  Thanks, Larissa!  My bad for not even doing an origin check. 

But I wonder if other people make the same assumption that I do?  So, while it isn't really Christian, do people associate it with the Christmas holiday?

Thank you for pointing that out!!!
#3 - May 23, 2012, 07:07 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
lol--The only reason I even thought of it that way was that I wanted to use it for the Christmas program at my church-based preschool and was asked not to because it's not really Christian.  o.O

I wouldn't think people would be put off by it, but hopefully someone who isn't Christian will speak up. :)
#4 - May 23, 2012, 07:12 PM
KISS ME KILL YOU (Entangled Crave, June 12, 2017)
@lchardesty all over the internet

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
I hear la la la la and I think of Smurfs...but maybe that's just me.  :eh2
#5 - May 23, 2012, 07:16 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
I just googled "songs with lalala" in them and there are a bunch of results with different lists. here's one result:

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/music/top-10-songs-that-go-la-la-la/

Van Morrison's Brown Eyed Girl is good one! Depends on your PB, tho. I'm wondering if a Christmas song would make it seasonal?
#6 - May 23, 2012, 07:21 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Wow, Larissa...that's interesting!  Good to know.

Arty, me too but there's that whole copyright thing I'd have to overcome!   :)  Probably worse than perceptions of Deck the Halls!  The other one I think of is "Sing, sing a song.  Sing out loud. Sing out strong...la, la, la-la la..." Sesame Street, right?
#7 - May 23, 2012, 07:24 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Arty, Good list....but I don't think kids would recognize any of those.  Parents would though!   I'd love an excuse to teach my kids Brown Eyed Girl.  I don't think I've ever played that for them.

It's just a passing reference, so I don't think mentioning Deck the Halls would make it seasonal. 

I know what I'm going to be singing all night....
#8 - May 23, 2012, 07:27 PM

Poster Plus
Kellie,

If it's not seasonal and all you really want is the 'la la la', you might consider making something up that fits with whatever else is going on in your story at that moment. Good news is that you don't have to write the music! If your new lyrics rhyme with the words of Deck the Halls, then the reader will probably 'sing' it that way unconsciously.

Truly horrible example: Watch the bus and dodge the trolley, FA-LA-LA-LA-LA....LA-LA-LA-LA

Not necessarily assuming that you've written a "How to Cross the Street in San Francisco" story...

:)
#9 - May 23, 2012, 08:12 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
TH, you sort of have the gist of what I'm trying to accomplish, but I want to use that song to "illustrate" something.  Pun intended.

I think I'm going to stick with the current reference...it's just an art note and gets the point across.  But if the PB ever sells, it will probably change anyway, right?!? 

Appreciate the thoughts and suggestions!!  That's why I love the Blueboards!!
#10 - May 23, 2012, 08:47 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
I'm not Christian and it wouldn't bother me in the slightest but I'm not of another religion that has its own celebrations so I'm maybe not as concerned with my child singing songs related to religion? I've seen Deck the Halls in Winnie the Pooh, though, and that's the Disney mass-market variety of Pooh so I think you're ok!
#11 - May 24, 2012, 04:41 AM

Poster Plus
The other one I think of is "Sing, sing a song.  Sing out loud. Sing out strong...la, la, la-la la..." Sesame Street, right?

Noooooooo! Poor Karen Carpenter is rolling in her grave.  :dr
#12 - May 24, 2012, 06:23 AM
AROUND AMERICA TO WIN THE VOTE
ANYTHING BUT ORDINARY ADDIE
MESMERIZED
GINGERBREAD FOR LIBERTY!
THE GRUDGE KEEPER
more at mararockliff.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Mara....no disrespect to Karen....but I do think Big Bird sang that song more than once, no??    :)
#13 - May 24, 2012, 08:52 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Ok, according to Wikipedia (grain of salt and all that), it was created for Sesame Street and gained popularity when The Carpenters sang it. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sing_(Joe_Raposo_song)

I also recall a recent deal that said Joe Raposo was doing a PB based on the lyrics. 

#14 - May 24, 2012, 08:55 AM

Yep, I think the song was written by Joe Raposo for Sesame Street.

All the same, if you're going to quote lyrics, I'd take songs that are in the public domain over ones that aren't.

#15 - May 24, 2012, 08:57 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
'Deck the Halls' is one of the less religious Christmas songs. The old Fa-La-la is in many older English musical pieces, but you are right- this is the most well known one, and if you wanted something that will have a ready melodic association you need a well known cultural icon.

If you wanted another not-Christian perspective I'll offer mine. No problem, and no offense and no turn-off whatsoever. But I represent myself, not 'non-Christians.'
#16 - May 24, 2012, 09:35 AM
THE VOICE OF THUNDER, WiDo Publishing
THERE'S A TURKEY AT THE DOOR, Hometown520

www.mirkabreen.com
http://mirkabreen.BlogSpot.com

Poster Plus
Shows what I know! Did Big Bird really sing it, or just Bob McGrath?
#17 - May 24, 2012, 10:14 AM
AROUND AMERICA TO WIN THE VOTE
ANYTHING BUT ORDINARY ADDIE
MESMERIZED
GINGERBREAD FOR LIBERTY!
THE GRUDGE KEEPER
more at mararockliff.com

Members: