SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

prose with rhyme in pbs

Discussion started on

CaroleB

Can anyone think of a pb written in prose that has substantial sections that rhyme?

I'm changing a pb from rhyme to prose, but want to include stanza sections, not just a rhyme here and there, but sort of an interchange, if that makes sense, but keep it heavier on the prose side.

Any clue what I'm asking? And, if so, any similar pbs come to mind?

Carole (who may just try something new)
#1 - May 24, 2012, 06:44 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
I wrote one like that Carole, but I'm having trouble thinking of one that's actually published, lol. I know there are some...

but I think it can work! Give it a try! Keep saved copies of your old versions in case you aren't happy with the new one, but for gosh sake, go for it, girl!
#2 - May 24, 2012, 06:52 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

CaroleB

How did yours turn out, Arty? Were you satisfied with it? (just because it's not pubbed doesn't mean it's not awesome, right?)

I'm going for it because I love many of the stanzas and I'm excited to see what I can do with a mix.

But still if anyone knows of similar books I'd appreciate some titles.
Carole :flower
#3 - May 24, 2012, 07:37 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Actually, I really like the way mine turned out, and it was one of the mss my agent requested before she offered, and she said she adored it. I'd still love to dummy it up (it's in line behind a couple others, sigh). I've just got character sketches right now.

I don't mind having a look when you're done if you want some eyes on it. PM me if you want.
#4 - May 24, 2012, 07:45 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

CaroleB

Pm'd you for fun  :) , but it'll be awhile before that particular pb is ready for  :eyeballs:
Thanks for the offer though! I'll give you the first peek.  :grin
#5 - May 24, 2012, 08:00 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I know there are others, but one that jumped to mind is Sudipta Bardhan-Quallen's THE MINOSAUR. If memory serves, it goes back and forth between prose and rhyme. Masterfully. I just tried to find our copy, but, alas, the kids cleaned in that room and I can't find anything where it should be.... :)
#6 - May 24, 2012, 02:51 PM

Schmara

I'm feeling like there are a couple of the longer Dr Seuss books that might do that, but can't put my brain on one in particular - maybe one (or more) of the Bartholomew Cubbins ones - Oobleck or 500 Hats?
#7 - May 24, 2012, 08:19 PM

Schmara

Nope. Guess I'm wrong - the only rhyme I see in Oobleck comes from the magicians' chanting.
#8 - May 24, 2012, 08:22 PM

Members: