SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Unsung Authors and Books

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • Admins and Mods Emeriti
  • SCBWI Member
Hi Blue Boarders,  I'm wondering if you will share.

Do you know of any authors whose books were slow to gain popularity? Perhaps they never gained popularity in their lifetime. Perhaps there is author you think it is a crying shame that there are no shiny stickers on his or her book.

Do you know of any book that was just huge to you as a child,  but you've never seen it on list of the best of the best and no one seems to ever talk about it? 

Do you know a book that many felt like it was lame when it first came out, it was panned by reviewer, but lo and behold found an audience?  Offer your best thoughts -- Picture book, easy reader, middle grade, non-fiction, and young adult -- all genres welcome.  Thanks!
#1 - May 25, 2012, 07:52 PM
Plumb Crazy (Swoon Romance, 2014)
Big Fuzzy Coat (MeeGenius!)
Rembrandt and the Boy Who Drew Dogs (Barron's)

www.mollyblaisdell.blogspot.com

Danyelle

None of the bookstores I've ever lived near have ever really carried many of Diana Wynne Jones's books. Which is a shame, because she is one of the best and most versatile fantasy authors I've ever read. (In my humble opinion.  :grin)

Even after the movie came out, the bookstores (mine, anyway) pretty much just stock Howl's Moving Castle (which is my absolute favorite), if that. Her Dalemark quartet was awesome!

Patricia C. Wrede and Vivian Vande Velde are also made of awesome, and it's hit or miss when it comes to trying to find them on the shelves.
#2 - May 25, 2012, 09:59 PM
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 10:01 PM by Danyelle »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
The Babapapa picture books by Annette Tison and Talus Taylor (not to be confused with Babar the elephant). They're not in publication in English anymore but are in French, German and Japanese. They were way ahead of their time, dealing with environmental issues in the 70s... but all in a wonderful fun way. And I love the fact that despite basically being shape-changing blobs the family is clearly multicultural too, with Babamama being black while Babapapa is pink and the babies being all sorts of colours.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbapapa

I'm sure there are others... will keep thinking!
#3 - May 26, 2012, 12:23 PM

Poster Plus
The Secret Horse by Marion Holland

I loved this book and don't know how popular a writer she was, but this book was my absolute favorite when I was in junior high and crazy about horses.
#4 - May 26, 2012, 01:47 PM
Beyond Suspicion, YA Mystery, Poisoned Pen Press
http://www.catherineawinnbooks.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Danyelle, I think that DWJ's books are going back into print after being out for quite a while (some of them, anyway). I'm always happy when I find them in a bookstore, though! It's like unexpectedly meeting friends. :)

I love Patricia C. Wrede, too, especially the ones about Mairleon the Magician. Those are hard to find.
#5 - May 26, 2012, 01:56 PM

Danyelle

Danyelle, I think that DWJ's books are going back into print after being out for quite a while (some of them, anyway). I'm always happy when I find them in a bookstore, though! It's like unexpectedly meeting friends. :)

I love Patricia C. Wrede, too, especially the ones about Mairleon the Magician. Those are hard to find.

Yay! That's awesome news. :) I love how you put that. Running into one of her books *is* like meeting up with a friend.

Yes, to Patricia C. Wrede! The MtM books seemed to go in then out than back into print. Their current incarnation (and the most lovely of all, in my opinion) is A Matter of Magic--has both MtM and MW. (http://www.amazon.com/A-Matter-Magic-Patricia-Wrede/dp/0765326329/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1338072580&sr=8-8)
#6 - May 26, 2012, 03:56 PM

One of my favorite books as a kid was called "The Year of the Raccoon" by Lee Kingman. It has gone out of print and nobody read it but me, but I loved it.
#7 - May 26, 2012, 04:45 PM
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 04:50 PM by Kurtis »

I just googled it and found that even in 1966 this book was considered "quiet." In a starred review. Says something about my incompatibility with this industry, maybe.
#8 - May 26, 2012, 04:49 PM

Also learned by googling is that Lee Kingman is a woman! Always assumed it was a man. Heh. I found out her daughter illustrates children's books. Might shoot her an email and just tell her to pass on to her Ma that her book found one very grateful reader.
#9 - May 26, 2012, 04:54 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
Harvey the Child Mime by Loryn Brantz came out a couple of years ago. It's different and very wonderful, and wa-a-ay out of the main thoroughfare.  :bow:
A little older- Waiting for Hannah by Marisabina Russo was a quiet book DD couldn't get enough of. It’s also one I’ve kept because I always want to have it.
 :bow:
#10 - May 26, 2012, 07:05 PM
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 09:31 AM by 217mom »
THE VOICE OF THUNDER, WiDo Publishing
THERE'S A TURKEY AT THE DOOR, Hometown520

www.mirkabreen.com
http://mirkabreen.BlogSpot.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Do you know of any book that was just huge to you as a child,  but you've never seen it on list of the best of the best and no one seems to ever talk about it? 

The Unchosen, by Nan Gilbert - loved this book growing up; still love it. I think Nan Gilbert was well-known in the 1970s, but doesn't seem to be read much today

The Room, by Ruth Holland - loved this too, but could never find any other books by the author, or any info about the author

And the books of K.M. Peyton, especially The Team. She wrote at least two sets of books: one about a horse-loving girl named Ruth (those books were Fly-by-Night and The Team), the other about a moody musician who'd been in trouble with the law (the Pennington books; I think one was called The Beethoven Medal). Ruth and Pennington ended up getting married as both series intersected. The Pennington books always got more attention (on recommended book lists, etc.), but it was the Ruth books that I loved.
#11 - May 27, 2012, 05:48 PM
Jennifer R. Hubbard
www.jenniferhubbard.com

Loner in the Garret: A Writer's Companion
Until It Hurts to Stop
Try Not to Breathe
The Secret Year

Poster Plus
  • Admins and Mods Emeriti
  • SCBWI Member
So many cool books.  I love Patricia Wrede too. I will see if I can find a few of these books. I really appreciate your thoughts. 
#12 - May 29, 2012, 07:29 AM
Plumb Crazy (Swoon Romance, 2014)
Big Fuzzy Coat (MeeGenius!)
Rembrandt and the Boy Who Drew Dogs (Barron's)

www.mollyblaisdell.blogspot.com

Danyelle

I also love Vivian Vande Velde's fantasy novels--especially A Well-Timed Enchantment and Three Good Deeds. Goose Chase by Patrice Kindl is also made of awesome if you like "serious" fairy tales that poke fun at the genre a little. :)
#13 - May 29, 2012, 08:29 AM

jeffman

TOM LOVES ANNA LOVES TOM by Bruce Clements is a real sweet love story told from a teenage boy's POV. I still take it down and read it every few years.
#14 - May 29, 2012, 08:47 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Great thread ...
Although Rosemary Wells is definitely not unsung, her book Wingwalker is beyond amazing. Historical fiction.
Vijaya
#15 - May 29, 2012, 10:09 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Members: