SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

bumps, pimples or flesh?

Discussion started on

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
If it makes you feel better, I read your post last night and it didn't hit me till this morning. "Hey, wait a minute! Eskimos and penguins?"  :eh2

I blame those Coke commercials from years back that featured polar bears romping with penguins (thankfully, someone has since clued in Coca Cola!) for propogating the misinformation. Oh, and whoever makes those blowup christmas decorations with all the penguins. :sigh

Rue
#31 - May 28, 2012, 11:17 AM
WIP: ETBs 10687/35000 (30.5%)
WIP: IWWP 12045/35000 (34.4%)

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
there are puffins in the north, tho...they sort of look like penguins.  :eh2
#32 - May 28, 2012, 12:46 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
Hmmm... Yeah, maybe that's where the confusion started. Puffins do look a bit like penguins.

So then it would be "puffin pili?" Works for me! ;)

Rue
#33 - May 28, 2012, 01:00 PM

jeffman

No penguins in the north? Riiiight. Next you'll be telling me there are no elves in the north either. Also -- a lot of people don't know this -- ETs don't come from space anymore. They have a secret base near the top of Greenland. That's why they're so pale. That, and their primary diet is penguins and elves.
#34 - May 28, 2012, 01:03 PM

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
Nope. No elves. The polar bears ate them all. ;)

Rue
#35 - May 28, 2012, 01:09 PM

jeffman

Like polar bears are real! :lol2
#36 - May 28, 2012, 01:26 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Heck, some days I'm not totally convinced that I'm not a product of my own imagination...so I'll totally not judge elves, penguins and polar bears for thinking they're real... :eh2
#37 - May 28, 2012, 01:32 PM

@cynmarko

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region northtexas
One of my favorite posters above my desk has a tug boat in a sea of orange Fanta....the message: "Is this real life, or is this just Fanta Sea?" Get it....hahahahaha
(I used to imagine that I was an elf...after all I have red hair and my ears a a wee bit pointed....ooops...too much info.)
DO ELVES GET GOOSEBUMPS??????
#38 - May 28, 2012, 01:59 PM

jeffman

Anyone from Chicagoland of a "certain age" must surely remember the old jingle that went, "Who and/or what are Artesians?" Anyone? Anyone?
#39 - May 28, 2012, 03:02 PM

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
thanks Liz, lol, but it's a humorous picture book with fowl in it, who don't have arms or hair  :ha, so I wanted to have the bird reference with goose to make a play on!  :chickendance

thanks for the info everyone!!

It makes my pinfeathers stand up!
#40 - May 28, 2012, 04:07 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I like 'pinfeathers stand up.' 
#41 - May 28, 2012, 04:19 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
One of my favorite posters above my desk has a tug boat in a sea of orange Fanta....the message: "Is this real life, or is this just Fanta Sea?" Get it....hahahahaha
(I used to imagine that I was an elf...after all I have red hair and my ears a a wee bit pointed....ooops...too much info.)

Mae govannen! (That's hello in Elvish. I also have pointy ears. No red hair, though. Who told you Elves have red hair?! That's just an urban myth. Or should that be a fantasy-world myth? Tautology, anyone?)
#42 - May 28, 2012, 05:10 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I have red hair because I used a magic potion from the Well of L'Oreal.   It's nice to meet someone else with pointy ears.  According to an elf name generator, my name is Fainil.
#43 - May 29, 2012, 07:49 PM
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 07:51 PM by scribblegirl »

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
An old college boyfriend of mine decided that I was an elf and that my ears had been amputated at birth. (I have ridiculously small ears, I'm not even kidding, I have seen babies with bigger ears)

and, I've used that magic potion before!!
#44 - May 29, 2012, 08:01 PM

@cynmarko

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
The Well of L'oreal is the water source for the Fountain of Youth. However, it only works on hair. Drat!  This elf has a few wrinkles, and I get goose pimples when the North Wind blows.  (See....we're keeping on topic with this thread.)
#45 - May 30, 2012, 03:43 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
(See....we're keeping on topic with this thread.)

um, totally! cuz it's all actually relevant to the story I have going...(frantically adds elves and grey hair to PB)...
#46 - May 30, 2012, 08:31 AM

@cynmarko

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
We're supposed to keep threads on-topic?  :eh2

I'm in trouble!  :hahaha

Rue
#47 - May 30, 2012, 09:56 AM

jeffman

If Arty hijacks her own topic, I think anything becomes fair game.
#48 - May 30, 2012, 10:10 AM

Corrigans totally have red hair, Franzilla, though they are not elves per se. Fae, though.
And I want one of those posters, Scribblegirl, that's hilarious.
#49 - May 30, 2012, 11:14 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
If Arty hijacks her own topic, I think anything becomes fair game.

Arty has diplomatic immunity, being a mod...I just give myself a stern talking to each and every time I go off topic in a thread!!

Bad Arty!!

(and yes, we do prefer threads stay on topic, but really, it's more about another helpful discussion splintering in a thread...it makes it hard to find those if people are looking for the info later)

I think threads digressing into a little fun is probably ok...but I could be doing this  :footmouth
#50 - May 30, 2012, 12:20 PM

@cynmarko

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I copied an image off the internet and blew it up to make the big poster, but if you like the Bohemian Rhapsody and puppets, you might enjoy this video courtesy of the Scottish Falsetto Sock Puppet Theatre:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj9QCoBl9Xk        :frog:
#51 - May 30, 2012, 12:45 PM
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 12:53 PM by scribblegirl »

CaroleB

Good grief. I read this entire thread backwards and had no clue what you all were talking about until I got to the original poster. Hah!
I saw the word pimple and was going to offer zit, but goose bumps is what we call it when you get cold.
I. have. to. stop. procrastinating. now. and. get. to. work.  :exactly:
#52 - May 30, 2012, 01:06 PM

I copied an image off the internet and blew it up to make the big poster, but if you like the Bohemian Rhapsody and puppets, you might enjoy this video courtesy of the Scottish Falsetto Sock Puppet Theatre:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj9QCoBl9Xk        :frog:

Great link!
Also, IMO, in a thread entitled "bumps, pimples, or flesh", the normal rules don't apply.

#53 - May 30, 2012, 01:44 PM

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana

Love the poster!  As for the pointed ears - Vulcan, forget elves, unless you are a little person, and what does hair color have to do with elves, they all have different hair colors!

Of course elves get goose bumps if they go outside without their coats or if they are southern elves that get transported north... where is your Fanta sea?
#54 - May 30, 2012, 07:24 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Members: