SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Ms. or Ms, which is correct

Discussion started on

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
I had an (online) editor tell me that the correct "spelling" for the title is Ms rather than Ms. because Ms is not an abbreviation for anything (as Mr. is). But is Mrs. and abbreviation? For "missus," I guess, but I thought that's just how people pronounce it, essentially.

I've googled and the only thing I've found is that in the UK they use Ms with no period.  (Maybe the editor is from the UK??)

Anyway, does anyone have any source that says which to use?

:thankyou
#1 - June 01, 2012, 12:48 PM

AdamV

Wikipedia says Ms. in the U.S. and Canada and Ms in the UK. I also found a source that says it is Ms. in Chicago style, so that sounds accurate.
#2 - June 01, 2012, 01:19 PM

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon

frogs

Ms. is the abbreviation for a woman that is not married.  Some people get mad if you write Mrs. and they are not married. 

I guess you could write manuscript.

I hope this helps.

:frog: :frog: :frog:
#4 - June 01, 2012, 08:06 PM
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 08:08 PM by frogs »

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
They are both derived from the honorific Mistress. AP uses a period for both Ms. and Mrs.
#5 - June 01, 2012, 08:10 PM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
I thought Ms. was proper to use with any adult woman. Isn't the point to have some sort of title that doesn't refer to a woman's marriage status as in Miss or Mrs.?

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't want to stumble over this.

Laurel
#6 - June 01, 2012, 08:24 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I've always heard that you can safely use "Ms." with any woman, married or not.  And yes, it does require a period.

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/abbreviations.htm
#7 - June 01, 2012, 09:36 PM
AN EYEBALL IN MY GARDEN, Marshall Cavendish Children's Books
www.LauraWynkoop.com

Just FYI, in the UK, you don't use a period with any title, Mr, Ms, Mrs, even, I believe, Dr.
#8 - June 02, 2012, 01:05 AM
critically-yours.blogspot.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiawest
I thought Ms. was proper to use with any adult woman. Isn't the point to have some sort of title that doesn't refer to a woman's marriage status as in Miss or Mrs.?

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't want to stumble over this.

That's my understanding of contemporary usage as well, and of the underlying rationale. I would only ever use Ms, and find it odd when people 'Mrs' me, in part because I kept my surname when I married, so it just sounds strange.

Just FYI, in the UK, you don't use a period with any title, Mr, Ms, Mrs, even, I believe, Dr.

Also true in Australia, including Dr. I've just gone over the copyedit for a book I have coming out in the US soon and noticed all my Mrs/Mr instances have had the full point added. It looks so odd to me.

#9 - June 02, 2012, 07:03 AM

Members: