SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Re: Whatcha reading?

Discussion started on

I've lucked into a streak of great books.  The latest: MIDWINTER BLOOD by Marcus Sedgwick. It's written in sections, almost like linked novellas and really crosses genres - mystery, romance, horror, myth. I'll be very surprised if it doesn't get serious discussion when the next Printz rolls around.
#391 - March 31, 2013, 05:01 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
I'm happy to report that I loved ELEANOR AND PARK - and not just because it's set in Omaha where I happen to live. What I really liked about it was that it's a genuine teen love story and it's about teens who don't always appear in books - multi-ethnic kids, kids from broken families who live on the wrong side of town (so to speak). It's a very realistic portrait of growing up in a place where high school graduation isn't an automatic assumption and your mom sends a note saying you were sick for the school field trip because she doesn't have the $3 fee. And yet first love is just as glorious there as it is anywhere else.

Yes! ELEANOR AND PARK was so wonderful! Great story, great writing, too. (And I'm going to add one more thing to your list of things that made it unique in YA romance: how often do you read a YA romance where the heroine is overweight?)
#392 - March 31, 2013, 05:27 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I'm reading a terrific adult novel, Kitchen House.  But just finished reading some fabulous picture books: Michelle Markel's Brave Girl: Clara and the Shirtwaist Makers' Strike of 1909, and  Same, Same But Different by Jenny Sue Kostecki-Shaw.  I wish I wrote them!
#393 - March 31, 2013, 05:59 PM
Carol Gordon Ekster
Hip Hopping Books, 2015
Before I Sleep, January 1 2015
Ruth the Sleuth and the Messy Room, 2011
Where Am I Sleeping Tonight? 2008

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region florida
I just finished Matthew Kirby's Icefall. Wonderful book. Kirby is a terrific writer. He will be leading a workshop at the SCBWI Florida Mid-Year Workshop June 7 & 8 in Disney World.

LindaB
#394 - April 02, 2013, 09:43 AM

Jenn Bertman
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I recently read THE FALSE PRINCE and the sequel THE RUNAWAY KING by Jennifer Nielsen and highly recommend both. Fantasy adventure middle grades.

Now I'm flying through GOING VINTAGE by Lindsey Leavitt. A great YA romantic comedy, perfect for the Sarah Dessen or Stephanie Perkins fans out there.
#395 - April 02, 2013, 02:10 PM
BOOK SCAVENGER, Christy Ottaviano Books/Henry Holt 
THE UNBREAKABLE CODE, April 2017
UNLOCK THE ROCK, 2018
jenniferchamblissbertman.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
I'm reading Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage, and it is amazing. I recommend it.
#396 - April 03, 2013, 04:23 PM

smichel

Recently finished The False Prince and loved it! Now I'm reading Blackbringer, by Laini Taylor.  It took me a while to get into it but I'm now enjoying it. I have so many titles stacked on my night table.

I read Code Name Verity a while back but it didn't strike me as being a YA novel.  More like an adult novel to me.

Stella

Forgot to add that I also read Hattie Ever After, by Kirby Larsen.
#397 - April 03, 2013, 05:39 PM
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 07:46 AM by smichel »

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I also just finished THE FALSE PRINCE and THE RUNAWAY KING. Loved both.

Hattie Ever After by Kirby Larson. Liked, didn't love.
#398 - April 04, 2013, 08:10 AM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region florida
I was blown away by Jonathan Mayberry's Rot and Ruin and found Dust and Decay equally good. What a terrific storyteller!

LindaB
#399 - April 06, 2013, 04:26 PM

updog

I read Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell over the weekend, and you can add me to the list of people who loved it. Like the characters, I grew up in Nebraska in the 80's, and this book brought back a lot of memories for me, both good and bad. The book is honest in a way that left me feeling gutted, but I loved every minute of it. The characters felt like real people, and I won't soon forget them.
#400 - April 15, 2013, 11:57 AM

kategoka

I'm really into the ANNA HIBISCUS series by Atinuke. I'm always happy to find some diversity on the early reader/ chapter book shelves. I want to check out Atinuke's other series, the No. 1 Car Spotter as well.

I also finished ADAPTATION by Malinda Lo and I can't say anything about it to anyone lest I give some of the juicy bits away. Great YA sci-fi thriller!

And I have put Eleanor and Park at the top of my list too. Thanks for the rec.
#401 - April 15, 2013, 01:35 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
I read Dante and Aristotle Discover the Secrets of the Universe, a YA novel that won a bunch of awards. I liked it. The author has a simple yet pretty writing style. It was interesting in that it's very character-driven; most of the conflict is internal.
#402 - April 15, 2013, 02:41 PM
Author of SILVER PONY RANCH and ZEKE MEEKS series

http://www.DebraLGreen.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oklahoma
  • SCBWI PAL
I just finished If I Stay by Gale Forman. Heartbreaking, lovely, subtle and warm ~ I absolutely loved it!

God bless,
Susan
#403 - April 15, 2013, 03:10 PM
susanameyers.com
Susan York Meyers, Children's and YA Author

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region utahsouthidaho
I'm reading two blueboarder books. The Cabinet of Earths and There's an Eyeball in My Garden.

I'm only into the Cabinet of Earths a few chapters, but I'm totally impressed. Anne Nesbet's writing style is fun and I'm enjoying the story as an adult. I'm definitely wowed.

Since it's national poetry month, it was a good time to check out, There's an Eyeball in My Garden--a book of Halloween-type poems, but fun any time of year. My good friend and blueboarder, Jen Judd compiled the book with poems from her writing group (correct me if I'm wrong Jen), which is truly cool.  Love it! The poems were spooky but not scary and my kids enjoyed them...with no nightmares! Happy mom. I was blown away by how clever and well-written the poems were.

There's a lot of talent in these boards and I've only scratched the veneer-- :wow. Can't wait to keep digging.
#404 - April 17, 2013, 09:26 AM
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 12:29 PM by J.Swan »
Seek ye out of the best books...
http://dewdropsofink.blogspot.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
I just finished Marissa Doyle's COURTSHIP & CURSES. It is so well written, and totally entertaining. I loved all of her books, but this one is my favorite.
#405 - April 17, 2013, 09:34 AM
Ten Clever Ninjas (picture book, Clear Fork Publishing, 2019)
Butterfly Girl (middle grade novel, Clear Fork Publishing, 2019)

Twitter: @kidlitSarah

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
QUICKSILVER, by RJ Anderson. Next up are THE CENTER OF EVERYTHING by Linda Urban and CROW by Barbara Wright.
#406 - April 17, 2013, 12:20 PM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
The Bully, the Bullied, and the Bystander, by Barbara Coloroso. SO good. The BEST book I've read on the subject. It's got actual practical solutions to both prevention and how to deal with a situation once it's happened. A full third of the book is about the power of bystanders, which I like, too. Bullying doesn't end once you graduate. Everyone should read this book!
#407 - April 19, 2013, 10:19 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region florida
With all that's happening in Boston, I hope our kids are finding a better world in books. I just finished a fun mystery called Strike Three You're Dead by Josh Berk. It's actually pretty funny. It's a good baseball book set in Philly with good characters.

LindaB
#408 - April 19, 2013, 01:03 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Shadows, by Ilsa Bick -- the sequel to Ashes. Man, can she PLOT! I would love to see the spreadsheet for this book...the whole series. And the detail! I don't even want to know how she knows some of those things {shudders}.
#409 - April 20, 2013, 05:00 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
I'm tickled to be mentioned in this thread! :)
This has been such a surreal week, and my reading has been all over the place as a result, with different types of books for different types of transportation:  William Alexander's GHOULISH SONG, which I really enjoyed and read while walking, and some space opera for a long plane ride (Charles Stross's SINGULARITY SKY), and then as comfort food on the train yesterday so I could avoid thinking about all the extra policemen, C. S. Lewis's HORSE AND HIS BOY....
#410 - April 20, 2013, 07:25 AM
THE CABINET OF EARTHS -- HarperCollins, 2012
A BOX OF GARGOYLES -- HC, 2013
THE WRINKLED CROWN -- HC, 2015
www.annenesbet.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Just finished Nantucket Blue (ARC) by Leila Howland, and Black Helicopters by Blythe Woolston

Now reading Uses for Boys by Erica Lorraine Scheidt
#411 - April 26, 2013, 10:12 PM
FROM WHERE I WATCH YOU/Soho Teen
Twitter @Shannywriter

http://shannongrogan.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
I'm reading Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson. She's got such a great voice! But I've a feeling I'm going to spend alot of this book teary-eyed...
#412 - April 27, 2013, 08:20 AM

Just finished Crewell by Gennifer Albin. Great narrative drive, huge stakes, and a fun read, even though I still have no idea what all those threads are about.

As for the poster above who characterized Code Name Verity as an adult book...go no further than than the foul SS interrogator who wrings secrets from the heroine by...hang on to your panties...making her strip to her underwear. Those Nazis -- had they no limits?

#413 - April 27, 2013, 10:07 AM
In Real Life, Tuttle Publishing, Fall 2014

Owl Princess
Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Finally got around to reading REAL MERMAIDS DON'T WEAR TOE RINGS by Blueboarder Helene Boudreau. Light, frothy, funny, a delight!
#414 - April 27, 2013, 11:04 AM
ANTIQUE PIANO & OTHER SOUR NOTES
http://decoowlpress.com

Barb  :owl

Blog: http://owlsquill.blogspot.com

Owl Princess
Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Other recent great reads:

COSMIC by Frank Cottrell Boyce (MG) - laugh-out-loud funny, with heart

WHO I KISSED (YA contemporary) by Blueboarder Janet Gurtler

ALCATRAZ VERSUS THE EVIL LIBRARIANS by Brandon Sanderson (MG) - clever, witty fantasy

SMELLS LIKE DOG and SMELLS LIKE TREASURE by Suzanne Selfors (MG) - love the characters (especially Dog) and the humour
#415 - April 27, 2013, 11:14 AM
ANTIQUE PIANO & OTHER SOUR NOTES
http://decoowlpress.com

Barb  :owl

Blog: http://owlsquill.blogspot.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I've been catching up on Blueboarders books: Blythe Woolston's Black Helicopters (amazing--could not put it down even though I had a good idea from the beginning how it was going to end) and YAChicka's Blaze, which I also could not put down. Then I went to your website, Linda, and found out that omg, there really WAS a pink car!
#416 - April 27, 2013, 11:18 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
I am thoroughly enjoying John Green's AN ABUNDANCE OF KATHERINES....laughing out loud on numerous occasions.
#417 - April 27, 2013, 12:18 PM
MOSTLY THE HONEST TRUTH (HarperCollins 3/12/2019)
Twitter: @jodyjlittle
Facebook: @jodyjlittleauthor

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region northtexas
Omigosh, Johnell, how did I miss this?  You are totally awesome--thanks for the shout out!  I need to tag Laura--this would make her day!  Or Bill...dang it.  Can you tag on Verla Kay??? ;)  Wolfie, wolffiiieeee...

I'll let her know you had such nice things to say about Eyeball.  And so glad your kids are sleeping!  LOL! :zzz:

As far as what I've been reading...for YA, I JUST finished THE GIRL OF FIRE AND THORNS by Rae Carson.  Was so so so happy...loved the MC!  Really refreshing fantasy. I read COLIN FISCHER in, literally, a day...glued to it.  Highly recommend.

For "market research"...PBs--Just read NUGGET AND FANG by Blueboarder Tammi Sauer--ADORABLE! Totally loved it.    And Lemony Snicket's DARK.  Creepy and clever. 

#418 - April 27, 2013, 02:11 PM
AN EYEBALL IN MY GARDEN--AND OTHER SPINE-TINGLING POEMS (Marshall Cavendish 2010)
CIRCUS TRAIN! (Two Lions, Spring 2015)

Just consumed Jennifer Nielsen's THE FALSE PRINCE  :yeah

Started a sci-fi MG, WHISPER by Emma Clayton, but can't get into it (albeit good writing and interesting premise) so have shelved it for another day :kiss:
My bedtime reading and general pick-me-up-for-a-giggle is WRITE GOOD OR DIE compiled by Scott Nicholson   :lol5
and I just finished a fabulous YA historical fiction ebook, MERELY DEE by Marian Manseau Cheatham  :love5:.

I highly recommend them all.

... and also spent a lot of time in THE HOUSE OF SECRETS by Chris Columbus & Ned Vizzini  :faint. I tried reading the whole thing, I really did. Lots to like about it (the humor is great) but 496 pages?! It just went on and on and on. It's like the authors were having so much fun inventing wild and crazy characters and action that they forgot to move the plot forward. And this novel has huge, huge promo $ behind it (so I had to see what all the buzz was about, right?). I'm left shaking my head, asking why? Anyone else read it?
#419 - May 03, 2013, 10:06 AM
http://pippa_bayliss.livejournal.com/
Facebook: Pippa Bayliss
Twitter @ PippaBayliss

Just finished Seraphina by Rachel Harman and I LOVED it.  :love5: Currently reading The Girl of Fire and Thorns and hoping to snag The Runaway King soon!!
#420 - May 03, 2013, 01:33 PM

Members: