SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Re: Whatcha reading?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region northtexas
My Year with Eleanor…a memoir by Noelle Hancock

The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz (A Sherlock Holmes tale from the viewpoint of Watson.   Horowitz wrote the scripts for the Foyle's War series.)
#481 - June 12, 2013, 03:59 AM

Creator of Mootastic Art and Children's Books
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
I've been reading a lot lately, even though you wouldn't know it from looking at my, "To Read," stack!

YA: Fox Forever by Mary Pearson - a great end to an excellent trilogy! I wasn't expecting the ending, which made it even better. Love this book and the whole series.

MG: Beswitched by Kate Saunders - a wonderful middle grade novel with time travel, well drawn characters, and a really great story.

MG: My Very UnFairy Tale Life by Anna Staniszewski - a middle grade full of adventure, original and wacky fairy tale characters, an imaginative fairy tale world, and a fun story.

MG: Doll Bones by Holly Black - a wonderful story about imagination, growing up and friendship. Loved the story! Loved art by Eliza Wheeler too! I'm already telling people to read this book, and it's one I might have to read again to see how she made it so amazing. I'm not a re-reader, but this book, and the next one make me think I could start to be one!

YA: Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell - a story about two teens just trying to survive school, bullies, growing up, the 80s, and their families. It's a love story and a friendship and so much more. It's got a truth and beauty to it that's slaying me as I read. I can see why everyone has been going gaga over it. I'm going to have to re-read this one to see how she did it too! But first I have to finish reading it ... but I don't want it to end!

#482 - June 12, 2013, 12:49 PM
Site - http://sruble.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/StephanieRuble

picture book: EWE AND AYE (now available as an ebook!)

Life After Life by Kate Atkinson -- adult lit with a highly unique premise.

It's the story of an English woman who is born in 1910 and lives through war time, but each time she dies, she's reborn at exactly the same time. As in, deja vu isn't a queer feeling, it's because you've lived this exact life before - several times.

Kudos to the author for having the chops to pull that off. I'm not done, but the book's covered the story of Ursula's birth numerous times. Each time, it's recognizable as the same event, but not a word is the same - events are described in a different way or from a different POV or starting at a slightly different point.
#483 - June 12, 2013, 03:16 PM
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 12:00 PM by christine »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I loved, loved, loved Eleanor & Park!!!
#484 - June 13, 2013, 10:17 AM
THE SECRET OF FERRELL SAVAGE
Atheneum (Simon & Schuster) February, 2014

Jenn Bertman
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Just finished THE MOON AND MORE by Sarah Dessen. I love her books and this one did not disappoint, although I don't think it tops my favorites.
#485 - June 13, 2013, 11:44 AM
BOOK SCAVENGER, Christy Ottaviano Books/Henry Holt 
THE UNBREAKABLE CODE, April 2017
UNLOCK THE ROCK, 2018
jenniferchamblissbertman.com

Ooh, I haven't gotten the new Sarah Dessen yet, but I always love her work.

Am currently reading ESCAPE THEORY by pub-sister Margaux Froley.  Not that far along and I'm already sucked in!
#486 - June 13, 2013, 02:36 PM
GREY'S ANATOMY writer
SHUFFLE, REPEAT (2016, Random House)
JILLIAN CADE: (FAKE) PARANORMAL INVESTIGATOR (2015, Soho Teen)

kategoka

J-Bert, just curious, what would you consider her best works? I want to dive into her books, but not sure where to start.

And everyone here who recommended ELEANOR AND PARK, you were not kidding about how crazy good it is. I think it's the best book I've read in a long while. And reading it has helped me with my own writing immensely.

One last book to recommend is SHIFTY by Lynn Hazen. Wonderful writing that is deceptively simple, but packs a lot of emotional punch.

Happy reading everyone!

#487 - June 17, 2013, 03:29 PM

Just finished ESCAPE THEORY (Margaux Froley) and really loved it.  Sort-of a slow build, haunting, sweet but aching.  She's a pub-sister so I'm thrilled to be in her company!

Next up: THE SWEET DEAD LIFE by Joy Preble (also Soho Teen!). 
#488 - June 17, 2013, 03:41 PM
GREY'S ANATOMY writer

Jenn Bertman
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
J-Bert, just curious, what would you consider her best works? I want to dive into her books, but not sure where to start.

My favorite two are THE TRUTH ABOUT FOREVER and ALONG FOR THE RIDE, but honestly I don't think you can go wrong. (My least favorite was her first one KEEPING THE MOON, I think it was called. It wasn't bad at all, just more ho-hum. I didn't sink into it the way I do with pretty much all her others. But then I also still can remember bits of it and it's been at least five years since I read it so that says something too.) Her books are reliably good and consistent in feel, I think. So if you like one you will probably enjoy all.

Actually, now that I think about it, she includes cameos in her later books of characters from the earlier ones, so it could be fun to start with earlier titles for that reason. But you won't miss out on anything or be confused in the later titles if you don't know a character appeared in an earlier novel.

Ending my Sarah Dessen dissertation now. . . ;)
#489 - June 17, 2013, 05:33 PM
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 05:40 AM by J-Bert »
BOOK SCAVENGER, Christy Ottaviano Books/Henry Holt 
THE UNBREAKABLE CODE, April 2017
UNLOCK THE ROCK, 2018
jenniferchamblissbertman.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Getting Over Garrett Delaney by Abby McDonald
#490 - June 17, 2013, 08:31 PM
FROM WHERE I WATCH YOU/Soho Teen
Twitter @Shannywriter

http://shannongrogan.com

Actually I'm reading "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn" one of my favorites.
#491 - June 17, 2013, 08:43 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
I've been on a book binge lately.   :library

Dinner With the Smileys (adult  nonfiction) by Sarah Smiley. Funny, touching true story.

Pi in the Sky (MG) by Wendy Mass. Loved her characters and world-building; am still in awe of her plotting skills. 

Currently reading and enjoying The Astronaut Wives Club (adult nonfic) by Lily Koppel (continuing the space theme).

And...just bought a new YA, How (Not) to Find a Boyfriend by Allyson Valentine.
#492 - June 17, 2013, 09:43 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I also loved Along for the Ride--Not crazy about Lock and Key. (Dessen books)
#493 - June 17, 2013, 11:05 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
BEHOLDING BEE by Kimberly Newton Fusco. A brilliant, beautifully written MG. You want to understand voice? Read this book.
#494 - June 18, 2013, 09:17 AM
www.andriawarmflashrosenbaum.com
Twitter: @andriawrose
Trains Don't Sleep, HMH 2017
Big Sister, Little Monster, Scholastic Press, 2017

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Yarnspinner, I'm reading The Astronaut Wives Club, too.

Fun fact: Sarah Dessen's dad was my Shakespeare professor.
#495 - June 18, 2013, 06:23 PM

kategoka

Thanks J-Bert!  ;D
#496 - June 18, 2013, 06:45 PM

We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler - adult novel told from the POV of a child protagonist who was raised in *ahem* an unusual way (not to throw out any spoilers).

Also The Autistic Brain by Temple Grandin
#497 - June 18, 2013, 07:15 PM
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 07:18 PM by RuthD »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
I want to read Temple's book, too, after I whittle my TBR pile down a bit.   :inbox:

rab, that's cool!  I met Sarah at a booksigning for Along for the Ride, and she was really nice and encouraging.   
#498 - June 18, 2013, 10:12 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region austin
Just finished Ruth Padel's 'Where the Serpent Lives', three-quarters of the way through Rainbow Rowell's 'Eleanor and Park'.  Whee!
#499 - June 20, 2013, 12:52 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
I'm reading Speaking from Among the Bones by Alan Bradley. It's the fifth in the Flavia de Luce series and is amazing. His voice is pitch perfect and I find myself re-reading sections just for the pure pleasure of the experience.
#500 - June 20, 2013, 10:06 AM

Onestepp: if I had to choose just one book as my favorite, it would probably be A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN.  Love love love.
#501 - June 20, 2013, 04:03 PM
GREY'S ANATOMY writer

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
  • SCBWI PAL
I just read A.S. King's forthcoming REALITY BOY for a cover quote. And...wow. I'm always knocked out by Amy's writing, and her fearlessness when tackling tough issues. This book is really superb.
#502 - June 21, 2013, 07:57 AM
Jonathan Maberry
New York Times bestselling author, editor, teacher and comic book writer
www.facebook.com/jonathanmaberry
@jonathanmaberry

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Just started Sterling Lord's Lord of Publishing: A Memoir.
#503 - June 21, 2013, 06:37 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Oh, I just downloaded The Astronauts' Wives' Club.  Looking forward to it.
#504 - June 21, 2013, 06:40 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I just read Mary and Lou and Rhoda and Ted by Jennifer Keishin Armstrong (for you young'uns, it's about a TV show that was big a long, long time ago in a galaxy that now seems very far away).

A lot of it is about the writers, and it's an instant cure for the revision blues because you see how very much collaboration goes into the writing of a hit. Well, maybe not a cure, but it alleviates the pain somewhat.

#505 - June 21, 2013, 07:09 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
  • SCBWI PAL
Just picked up a copy of DIVERGENT. Looking forward to diving in. Heard great things.
#506 - June 28, 2013, 01:45 PM
Jonathan Maberry
New York Times bestselling author, editor, teacher and comic book writer
www.facebook.com/jonathanmaberry
@jonathanmaberry

I just picked up Sisterland.

AnneB, I'm so glad you posted about Mary and Lou and Rhoda and Ted. Sounds
like something I would love. Loved that show!
#507 - June 29, 2013, 12:03 PM

ameyers

Just finished reading 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' by Khaled Hosseini. And his new book is out now too!!!
#508 - June 30, 2013, 01:19 AM

Admin Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
I'm enjoying The Rithmatist right now. AnneB, I'm also glad you posted about Mary and Lou and Rhoda and Ted. That does sound like an interesting read!
#509 - June 30, 2013, 05:17 AM
http://www.vonnacarter.com
twitter @VonnaCarter

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Listening to Lauren Oliver's Delirium; reading in print Sara Zarr's The Lucy Variations and Colm Toibin's The Master.
#510 - June 30, 2013, 07:14 PM

Members: