SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Re: Whatcha reading?

Discussion started on

Listening to Lauren Oliver's Delirium; reading in print Sara Zarr's The Lucy Variations and Colm Toibin's The Master.

Oooh, I loved the LUCY VARIATIONS. Enjoy!
#511 - June 30, 2013, 07:17 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Oooh, I loved the LUCY VARIATIONS. Enjoy!

I enjoyed it, too, Christine; in fact, I had a hard time putting it down until I'd turned the last page!
#512 - July 01, 2013, 06:17 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I just finished a book I really enjoyed, "Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore" by Robin Sloan.  Added bonus--as I head upstairs to my room late at night--the book's cover glows in the dark!
#513 - July 01, 2013, 06:45 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
  • SCBWI RAE
I just finished the advanced reading copy of the Enchanter Heir by Cinda Williams Chima. Now I has to wait a whole year before the next book! I want to know what happens next now! As usual, Chima's weaves a terrific story and creates wonderful characters.
#514 - July 03, 2013, 08:46 AM

Has anyone read THE ONAHLOSSEE RIDING CAMP FOR GIRLS? It's been getting lots of buzz as a breakout novel for the author. I'm only part way through.
#515 - July 07, 2013, 04:18 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Has anyone read THE ONAHLOSSEE RIDING CAMP FOR GIRLS? It's been getting lots of buzz as a breakout novel for the author. I'm only part way through.

The author spoke at a local bookstore and did a short reading. I have to be honest: based on that I chose not to buy or read the book. The reviews I've read have been mixed. I was floored to discover that the author had gotten a seven figure advance for it---no wonder it's being so heavily promoted. (I think it's YONAHLOSSEE.)
#516 - July 07, 2013, 06:05 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
After a few disappointing reads lately, I have ELEANOR & PARK in my hot little hands.  :love5: I have a feeling this will soothe away the 'meh' feeling from the last few books.
#517 - July 07, 2013, 06:34 PM
http://sarahepsteinbooks.com/
https://twitter.com/SarahLEpstein

"Act as if it were impossible to fail." - Ashanti Proverb

ameyers

I just finished reading 'Jonathan Livingston Seagull' again - so inspirational.
#518 - July 08, 2013, 11:12 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region germanyaustria
FAR FROM THE TREE by Andrew Soloman  <---it's fascinating

a bunch of memoirs <---research

I've been trying to re-read ON THE ROAD but I'm just not getting into it (I even tried keeping it in the car for inspiration and reading it on road trips....nope)
#519 - July 08, 2013, 01:29 PM
The Safest Lie in stores now
The End of the Line - VOYA Top Shelf & YALSA Quick Pick
www.angelacerrito.com
FB/twtr/Tmblr AngelaCerrito

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
  • SCBWI RAE
I just finished Playing With Fire, the first book in the School For S.P.I. E.S. series by Bruce Hale. Terrific book. I can't wait to read the next one!

LindaB
#520 - July 08, 2013, 02:14 PM

The author spoke at a local bookstore and did a short reading. I have to be honest: based on that I chose not to buy or read the book. The reviews I've read have been mixed. I was floored to discover that the author had gotten a seven figure advance for it---no wonder it's being so heavily promoted. (I think it's YONAHLOSSEE.)

Yes, your spelling is correct. I had typed it in correctly and then went back and typed it in all caps, leaving out the Y.

#521 - July 08, 2013, 03:31 PM
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 01:11 PM by pauladiaco »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Finished The Master by Colm Toibin and wish I were just starting it. What a lovely portrait of a writer---Henry James, that is. You don't have to know his work well, or particularly like it to appreciate Toibin's novel.
#522 - July 08, 2013, 06:31 PM

updog

I'm rereading Sense & Sensibility for bookclub, and just started The Lightning Thief, which I've never read before. Only two chapters in but enjoying it so far.
#523 - July 09, 2013, 06:52 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
  • SCBWI PAL
Started reading some of Jules Verne's less well-known works. The Secret of Wilhelm Storitz, The Chase of the Golden Meteor, and The Adventures of Captain Hatteras
#524 - July 10, 2013, 12:21 PM
Jonathan Maberry
New York Times bestselling author, editor, teacher and comic book writer
www.facebook.com/jonathanmaberry
@jonathanmaberry

I'm halfway through THE OCEAN AT THE END OF THE LANE. I love how clearly Neil Gaiman makes you recall the part of childhood in which you could say something perfectly true and no one would believe you simply because you were a child.
#525 - July 10, 2013, 01:17 PM

ameyers

Hi 'Updog' - 'The Lightning Thief' is a great read! Enjoy!
#526 - July 10, 2013, 01:36 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Hi 'Updog' - 'The Lightning Thief' is a great read! Enjoy!

The movie's good, too. Not as good as the book, of course, but doable...and Percy is cute.
#527 - July 10, 2013, 02:57 PM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

ameyers

I didn't get around to seeing the movie - and the second one is out now -maybe I'll take a peek.
#528 - July 10, 2013, 03:44 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Just finished The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han and now reading Skinny by Donna Cooner
#529 - July 10, 2013, 10:13 PM
FROM WHERE I WATCH YOU/Soho Teen
Twitter @Shannywriter

http://shannongrogan.com

Read MIRACLE by Elizabeth Scott in one sitting. It's about a girl returning to her school and family after being the only survivor of a plane crash. Tomorrow I plan to go back through it and pick apart how the author did such a great job of communicating her MC's feelings without slowing the plot.
#530 - July 17, 2013, 11:01 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
I'm reading WE ARE ALL COMPLETELY BESIDES OURSELVES by KarenJoy Fowler. Wonderful and weird. Love the MC's voice. About a girl raised with a chimp. Also reading FAR FROM THE TREE by Andrew Solomon, about "different" children and how families cope with a child they can't completely understand and relate to: deafness, dwarfism, autism, musically gifted kids, Downs, criminality, and others are covered. Didn't realize this book's 1000 pages long (my kindle doesn't have page numbers) so I'll be reading it for awhile. Think it needed more of an edit. But the author's has great insight. All kinds of stars and kudos on Amazon.
#531 - July 17, 2013, 11:59 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
Betsy, I felt the same way about Far from the Tree. I thought it was good, but it should have been edited better.
#532 - July 18, 2013, 02:43 PM
Author of SILVER PONY RANCH and ZEKE MEEKS series

http://www.DebraLGreen.com

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
But a fascinating read, don't you think?
#533 - July 19, 2013, 09:28 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
I really, really enjoyed THE OCEAN AT THE END OF THE LANE (Gaiman), and now am reading George Eliot's DANIEL DERONDA--it's so good! I had forgotten how brilliant George Eliot is!
#534 - July 20, 2013, 01:27 AM
THE CABINET OF EARTHS -- HarperCollins, 2012
A BOX OF GARGOYLES -- HC, 2013
THE WRINKLED CROWN -- HC, 2015
www.annenesbet.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
Yes, Betsy. Memorably uplifting tales of parental love and perseverance and identity. But the.repetition and off-topic parts should have been edited out in my opinion.
#535 - July 20, 2013, 03:58 AM
Author of SILVER PONY RANCH and ZEKE MEEKS series

http://www.DebraLGreen.com

Owl Princess
Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Just finished Blueboarder kabarson's 45 POUNDS (MORE OR LESS), a funny but thought-provoking YA about body image and family. Congrats, Kelly! (She's in my critique group.)

I appreciated the laughs because I needed a break from Joe Hill's horror novel, NOS4A2. Well written, but so dark, I'm not sure I'll finish it.

updog, THE LIGHTNING THIEF is a lot of fun. And my husband, who rarely reads MG besides my own manuscripts, loved the movie!

#536 - July 20, 2013, 07:41 AM
ANTIQUE PIANO & OTHER SOUR NOTES
http://decoowlpress.com

Barb  :owl

Blog: http://owlsquill.blogspot.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
I'm three pages into BOMB and it's already fascinating.
#537 - July 20, 2013, 08:04 AM

I'm reading WE ARE ALL COMPLETELY BESIDES OURSELVES by KarenJoy Fowler. Wonderful and weird.
I read that one recently, and really liked it.

Haven't read much MG this summer; I'm staying busy with grownup novels for a change. Just finished The Three Miss Margarets by Louise Schaffer. Now I'm reading The Cuckoo's Calling.
#538 - July 20, 2013, 10:30 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Finished Benjamin Alire Saenz's ARISTOTLE AND DANTE DISCOVER THE SECRETS OF THE UNIVERSE. Lovely book.
#539 - July 20, 2013, 12:52 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
I'm signed up on Amazon to get Kathi Appelt's new book: THE TRUE BLUE SCOUTS OF SUGAR MAN SWAMP, which is already getting starred reviews. I loved, loved, loved THE UNDERNEATH and KEEPER was good too, although I didn't love it as much.

It's coming out on the 23rd.
#540 - July 20, 2013, 02:22 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Members: