SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Re: Whatcha reading?

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I just finished The Yonahlossee Riding Camp for Girls by Anton DiSclafani (a woman). It's adult literary fiction but it's one of those books that I think could be considered YA or New Adult as the main character is 16. Sexual and suspenseful; I couldn't put it down. . .
#541 - July 21, 2013, 08:48 PM
Lisa
@elisaitw

updog

You all were right about "The Lightning Thief". Now I'm going to have to watch the movie too... and buy the rest of the series.  Next up: "The Graveyard Book" by Neil Gaiman.
#542 - July 22, 2013, 05:43 PM

Jenn Bertman
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I recently finished PARADOX by A. J. Paquette--great, quick-paced futuristic YA. And ELEANOR & PARK which was so wonderful.
#543 - July 22, 2013, 06:34 PM
BOOK SCAVENGER, Christy Ottaviano Books/Henry Holt 
THE UNBREAKABLE CODE, April 2017
UNLOCK THE ROCK, 2018
jenniferchamblissbertman.com

I just finished Stephen King's 11/22/63 - amazing. :) I think I love him.
Just started Ruby Red - I've heard great things!
#544 - July 22, 2013, 06:49 PM
Robin

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
You all were right about "The Lightning Thief". Now I'm going to have to watch the movie too... and buy the rest of the series.  Next up: "The Graveyard Book" by Neil Gaiman.

Another great one, updog. Enjoy!
#545 - July 22, 2013, 07:05 PM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

I just finished The Yonahlossee Riding Camp for Girls by Anton DiSclafani (a woman). It's adult literary fiction but it's one of those books that I think could be considered YA or New Adult as the main character is 16. Sexual and suspenseful; I couldn't put it down. . .

I read that one, too... it's one of those southern gothic-type stories where the characters' lives are forever changed by a traumatizing incident, but you don't find out the scandalous details until the end. It was riveting.
#546 - July 23, 2013, 06:21 AM
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 06:26 AM by RuthD »

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region utahsouthidaho
So...not sure a picture book counts, but I just read one I loved. Snip Snap, What's That by Mara Bergman. It surprised me and more importantly, it really engaged my son, whose a reluctant reader. It's a great read-aloud book and one that would be really fun if you're needing a book to read to a classroom or at a library reading program.

As for adult books I've read lately...ummmm... :eh2
#547 - July 25, 2013, 07:30 AM
Seek ye out of the best books...
http://dewdropsofink.blogspot.com

I'm reading James Dashner's "The Maze Runner" and it is riveting. It's not the type of book I'd generally pick up, but it was assigned reading for an Intensive with Krista Marino at the SCBWI Summer Conference. So enjoying the read! I look at it as sort of a boy m.c. Hunger Games.

I also just read Katherine Paterson's "Jacob Have I Loved" for the first time ever. Whoa did that book make me cry. Beautiful! It just may be my favorite Paterson book that I've read.

#548 - July 26, 2013, 02:40 PM

I finished reading A MONSTER CALLS by Patrick Ness  few weeks ago and it blew me away. I immediately loaned it to a critique partner, who I knew needed to read it. She let it sit on her shelf until a few days ago. Once she started reading it, she couldn't put it down.
The story is of a boy and his unique way of facing the mother's fight with cancer.  Absolutely a must read, even if you or your loved ones have never battled cancer.
#549 - July 26, 2013, 04:29 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
I just finished the Abhorsen series by Garth Nix (Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen) and am starting on Enders Game...I know a movie is coming out but I swear I've wanted to read it even before I knew a movie was even in development :P
#550 - July 26, 2013, 08:15 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
Ok, BETTER NATE THAN EVER by Tim Federle is the most happy-making contemp MG I have read in such a long time. Theater-obsessed kid runs away from home to NYC to audition for broadway's new E.T: The Musical? Yes please!
#551 - July 30, 2013, 05:28 PM

Spending some time with adult lit.  :love5: BIG BROTHER by Lionel Shriver - until the last four pages. Not much more to say without spoilers...

Now I'm enjoying LOTERIA by Zambrano. It's an eleven-year-old narrator reflecting on the death of her sister and the structure is fascinating. The chapters are short, non-consecutive narratives. Each one starts with a picture of a loteria card. Taken together the chapters reveal her family and (I'm assuming) what happened to her sister, but not in linear order.
#552 - July 31, 2013, 03:34 PM

Chronic
Poster Plus
After reading and thoroughly enjoying Over You by Amy Reed I've gone on an Amy Reed binge and moved on to Clean, with Crazy to read straight afterwards.
#553 - July 31, 2013, 03:57 PM
Film school grad. Time traveller. Billy Bragg fan. Canadian/Irish novelist of character-driven fiction from sci-fi to slice of life.

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I am reading 2 books right now: The Rise of Nine by Pittacus Lore (one of the I am Number Four books) and The Help by Kathryn Stockette
#554 - July 31, 2013, 07:15 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Listening to Water Street by Patricia Reilly Giff. Just started Hothouse: The Art of Survival and the Survival of Art at American's Most Celebrated Publishing House, Farrar Straus & Giroux.
#555 - August 01, 2013, 06:59 PM

smichel

Reading The Ocean at the End of the Lane, by Neil Gaiman, and trying to figure out who his target audience is, kids or adults? it isn't very clear, I'm afraid, but I do love his  creepy stories.
#556 - August 01, 2013, 07:25 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
  • SCBWI PAL
Reading BOTWARS by J V Kade. Lots of MG fun!
#557 - August 03, 2013, 08:07 PM
Jonathan Maberry
New York Times bestselling author, editor, teacher and comic book writer
www.facebook.com/jonathanmaberry
@jonathanmaberry

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
I'm reading four books right now, mostly nonfiction, an odd assortment even for me:

NEVER SAY DIE by Susan Jacoby (on tape, I listen in the car) This is about the difference between the reality of old age and the hype.
EATING ON THE WILD SIDE by Jo Robinson -- Everything you wanted to know about fruits and veggies. (O.K., I know what you're thinking. But this is interesting!)
YOUR INNER FISH by Neil Shubin -- How fish invented much of the structure of the human body.

Last but not least I just finished Kathi Appelt's new book:
THE TRUE BLUE SCOUTS OF SUGARMAN SWAMP -- Charming and funny. It doesn't have the depth of THE UNDERNEATH, but more entertaining.
#558 - August 04, 2013, 12:18 AM
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 02:31 PM by Betsy »
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Two books:

Adult fiction: THE SHINING GIRLS by Lauren Beukes -- Time traveling serial killer

YA: BLACK HEART by Holly Black -- part of the curseworkers series
#559 - August 04, 2013, 02:24 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Do you like them? Which is the best? What's Black Heart about? (Just give us a sentence.) Thanks.
#560 - August 04, 2013, 02:33 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

I like both of them. SHINING GIRLS is kind of Hannibal Lector meets the time traveler's wife. It skips around a lot, but it's very well written and easy to follow. It is a bit dark so if you're squeamish this is not the book for you.

BLACK HEART is the last of Holly Black's trilogy set in a world where her main character, a teenage boy, has been sent to private school, in part to hide the fact that he's able to work curses - a talent some people have, the government seeks to regulate and everyone else fears. It's urban fantasy which isn't always my thing, but I've loved all three of these.
#561 - August 04, 2013, 03:23 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
Do you like them? Which is the best? What's Black Heart about? (Just give us a sentence.) Thanks.

I really enjoyed this trilogy too! Think of 1920s prohibition, only substitute "modern day" for "1920s," and substitute magic for alcohol. The mob is involved in the use of magic. The main character is in a crime family. Great fun!
#562 - August 04, 2013, 03:33 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I'm moving and all my books are boxed up on a moving truck that's somewhere in the western US right now. But in the meantime, we've been visiting my SIL--who happens to be a university librarian with a $10K budget to buy children's/YA books for the library. Her house is full of all the kinds of books I love. So I just reread THE STAR OF KAZAN, by Eva Ibbotson. It's pretty much a perfect MG book. I love the attention to quirky yet believable detail, and I love that justice is served. Probably not every book needs it, but as an element of strong MG fiction, I'd say justice is right up there!
#563 - August 04, 2013, 04:36 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Thanks, Olmue. Happy moving! 

I love it when people give a little synopsis along with the title. Thanks. Some people (me) are reading this thread to find books they might like to read.

WOW! I just checked Amazon. Two starred reviews and only $5.00 for the kindle edition.
#564 - August 04, 2013, 05:47 PM
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 05:49 PM by Betsy »
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
It's a FABULOUS book, Betsy. So is her JOURNEY TO THE RIVER SEA (about a British girl who goes to live with relatives on a Brazilian rubber plantation). Also lots of justice served in that one. :)
#565 - August 04, 2013, 06:03 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
I respect your opinion. So I'll give it a try...
#566 - August 04, 2013, 07:59 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I'm honored! And I hope you like it/them. STAR OF KAZAN is lovely--about a foundling girl in Vienna at the turn of the century and the wonderful family of professors and cooks she lives with. And then everything changes when her long lost mother shows up to claim her, and takes her away to dreary northern Germany to live. They are nobles, but things are awfully run down... There's some mystery and there are plucky heroes and heroines and horses and jewels. (But nothing over the top.) Mostly, though, it's a love song to Austria, which Eva Ibbotson left as a child during the Anschluss. It's like she's trying to climb inside Vienna through the book, and it's wonderful.

Journey to the River Sea has a strong naturalist element--some people in the book love the Amazon (the MC, for example), and some do not (the British family she goes to live with). Both books have a lot of heart, and also some nice funny moments. :) With so many NF books about our wonderful planet under your belt, I suspect this one might especially appeal to you, Betsy.
#567 - August 04, 2013, 09:49 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
I ordered THE STAR OF KAZAN, but the other sounds good too. I was in Ecuador many years ago for a vacation and went hiking in the jungle a couple of times. Also saw the Galapagos. So put me down as someone who loves the Amazon. Maybe I should have ordered the second book instead, but I have so many to read...I'm reading five right now and there are a couple of others I have to finish after that.

But I'll get to it.
#568 - August 05, 2013, 12:48 AM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I've just read Katerina's Wish by Jeannie Mobley--a debut middle grade novel that takes place in the Colorado coal mines circa 1900. I also just finished listening to Neil Gaiman's Ocean at the End of the Lane--his reading (& writing) voice is wonderful.
#569 - August 05, 2013, 06:15 AM
ROLLER BOY (Fitzroy Books, 2018)
AMY'S CHOICE (Luminis Books, 2014)
CALL ME AMY (Luminis Books, 2013)
www.marciastrykowski.com
Twitter: @MarciaStry

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Betsy's right. I come here for people's recommendations-So if you can give a little feedback on your read, all the better.

I'm reading Courtney Summer's Fall for Anything. About a girl devastated by her father's apparent suicide. Dark and edgy, just the way I like YA.
Also, Where'd you go, Bernadette. It's adult, which I rarely read, written mostly in letters from Bernadette to her personal assistant who resides in India. Bernadette's daughter has requested they go to Antarctica for a family vacation   :aah   and Bernadette is agoraphobic. I've barely begun but it's fun.
Also, from some recommendation on these boards I'm reading John Truby's, The Anatomy of Story. I got this from the library and am going to buy it for myself. Very good and helpful for plotting and understanding story. It's also got some writing exercises    :check
#570 - August 05, 2013, 07:08 AM

Members: