SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Re: Whatcha reading?

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region mddewv
I'm reading Rae Carson's Bitter Kingdom, and I'm re-reading Kristin Cashore's Graceling.
#631 - September 22, 2013, 06:36 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
I just finished CROCKETT JOHNSON AND RUTH KRAUSS: HOW AN UNLIKELY COUPLE FOUND LOVE, DODGED THE FBI, AND TRANSFORMED CHILDREN'S LITERATURE. It's a great insight into some of the most crucially formative years and personalities in kidlit, especially for picture books.

Wow, Leslie, thanks for posting this. I hadn't heard of this one, but I love this kind of book so it's on my list.
#632 - September 22, 2013, 08:07 PM

rab and RaeE, you're most welcome! Hope you enjoy it :--)
#633 - September 23, 2013, 02:35 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
I'm reading THE DREAM THIEVES by Maggie Stiefvater, the unbelievably good sequel to THE RAVEN BOYS. It really is amazingly good. Beautifully written, thrilling, funny, scary....and I'm only halfway through!
#634 - September 24, 2013, 10:25 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I just read Doll Bones by Holly Black. Very creepy (in a MG sort of way)! And a really excellent example of stakes that don't have to do with life or death headlopping situations. (Read a sequel to a different book the other day that went way, WAY overboard with that sort of thing!) Doll Bones reminded me a bit of Anne Ursu's Breadcrumbs--not that they're the same story in any way, but something about the internal feel of it.
#635 - September 25, 2013, 05:44 AM

I recently read Rose Under Fire, the sort of sequel to Code Name Verity. Another absolutely wow book. With tears.

I just finished The Yonahlossee Riding Camp For Girls, and didn't like it nearly as much as I hoped I would. Oh well. Now I'm indulging in some Edward Eager books I never read. I'd only ever read Half Magic as a kid (many, many times) so I have lots to look forward to.
#636 - September 25, 2013, 08:17 AM
Blog: http://lauralsullivan.blogspot.com/
YA: LOVE BY THE MORNING STAR (soon!)
LADIES IN WAITING
MG: Under the Green Hill
Guardian of the Green Hill

I picked up Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein from the library. It caught my eye because my current ms has a girl with the last name of Verity. A good read about a young lady captured by Nazis and forced to provide secrets in written form. The novel is what she writes.
#637 - September 25, 2013, 08:22 AM
Bazooka Joe says, I have the ability to become outstanding in literature.
http://samhranac.blogspot.com/

Just read THE LONGINGS of WAYWARD GIRLS, by Karen Brown.

Adult fiction. Great themes. An absorbing, terrific read.

Loved it!

And this cover rocked... http://www.amazon.com/Longings-Wayward-Girls-Novel/dp/1476724911/ref=la_B009435K7C_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1380306317&sr=1-1
#638 - September 27, 2013, 11:46 AM
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 11:49 AM by CC »
OPEN COURT, Knopf

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight, by Jennifer E. Smith. A great example of a quiet book, plotwise, being engaging to read, with tension in the narrative. Not sure how to explain it, but it was really well done.
#639 - September 27, 2013, 03:59 PM

updog

I just finished "Fangirl" by Rainbow Rowell, and it was really good. I thought it started a lot slower than Eleanor and Park, but once it got going she really sucked me in.

I have so many great novels on my TBR shelf I'm having a hard time deciding what to read next. But that's a problem I don't mind having.  ::-)
#640 - September 27, 2013, 07:50 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
My copy of Crockett Johnson and Ruth Krauss: How an Unlikely Couple Found Lover, Dodged the FBI, and Transformed Children's Literature just came in at the library---my bedtime reading, with thanks to Leslie (and this thread) for suggesting it. And I really want to read Fangirl, too, and The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight (love that title!). Also on my bedside table that I've read the first interview in is Leonard Marcus's Show Me A Story! Why Picture Books Matter.
#641 - September 27, 2013, 07:54 PM

I'm reading Billy Moon (Christopher Robins from Winne the Pooh) biography.  It is quite interesting set in 1968 and in France.    ::-)
#642 - September 27, 2013, 08:15 PM

I'm reading September Girls by Bennett Madison. I picked it up because I saw in on a list of 5 star reviews that were getting some Printz chatter and I can see why. It's about a boy who visits a beach town filled with mysterious girls who all seem to share some unique traits.
#643 - September 28, 2013, 05:15 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
I just got notice that Rose Under Fire (Elizabeth Wein's latest) is waiting for me at the library, AND our library opens an hour early today for a Library Love celebration. It's going to be a good day.
#644 - September 28, 2013, 05:39 AM

Just finished Yann Martel's Life of Pi -- I'd seen the film version several months ago on DVD and enjoyed it very much, but the book is simply awesome. :yup

#645 - September 30, 2013, 02:56 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

updog

Just finished Yann Martel's Life of Pi -- I'd seen the film version several months ago on DVD and enjoyed it very much, but the book is simply awesome. :yup

Yup, yup. Definitely agree with this.
#646 - September 30, 2013, 05:26 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
A PLAIN DEATH

A PLAIN SCANDAL

A PLAIN DISAPPEARANCE

all mysteries and all by Amanda Flower.  :coffee3:
#647 - October 01, 2013, 02:36 PM
Word-Painting.webs.com
jjmoore4.wixsite.com/thegroup

Went to the library and got the last book in the Giver series by Lois Lowry - "Son"
Now I'll find out how it does end.    ::-)
#648 - October 02, 2013, 10:40 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I just finished Kate DiCamillo's Flora and Ulysses. Kids will really like this fun, wonderfully illustrated book but, for me, the silliness of the story overshadowed the *special something* that I always find in DiCamillo books. I did like it though.

Next up: Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman.
#649 - October 05, 2013, 12:51 PM
THE SECRET OF FERRELL SAVAGE
Atheneum (Simon & Schuster) February, 2014

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Just finished WINGER by Andrew Smith. By far the funniest of his books so far, but ultimately devastating. It's a great example of a smart boy book and has some fun mixed media (cartoons).
#650 - October 05, 2013, 01:21 PM
Ilene Wong (AKA: I. W. Gregorio)
NONE OF THE ABOVE (Balzer & Bray, Fall 2015)
rep'd by Jessica Regel Foundry Literary + Media
www.iwgregorio.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
What????? There's a sequel to House of the Scorpion???????? How did I miss that????

Hi, Rose!

Rereading THE HOUSE OF THE SCORPION, by Nancy Farmer. What a fine book! I'm dying to read the sequel, but I haven't decided if I should ask for it for Christmas, or pick it up right now...
#651 - October 05, 2013, 01:24 PM
Ilene Wong (AKA: I. W. Gregorio)
NONE OF THE ABOVE (Balzer & Bray, Fall 2015)
rep'd by Jessica Regel Foundry Literary + Media
www.iwgregorio.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Hi Ilene!

The sequel to House of the Scorpion (The Lord of Opium) just came out. I saw it on the new shelf at the library and gave in and read it. Really enjoyed it!
#652 - October 05, 2013, 01:30 PM

I'm working my way through Heather Vogel Frederick's Mother-Daughter Book Club series.  I just finished the second-to-last one today, Home for the Holidays.  I'm so sad to be almost done, but I can't keep myself from devouring them!
#653 - October 05, 2013, 03:36 PM
- Victoria -

Writing Coaching: vlawinning.ca
Blog: victorialynnfry.blogspot.ca
Twitter: twitter.com/victorialfry

This week I've finally gotten around to reading Kazuo Ishiguro's The Remains of the Day. I saw and I liked the 1993 film version when it first came out on video, but I'd argue that the book is at least as much of a satisfying experience, if not more so; the story is told from Stevens' point of view as he reflects on his career in service (in England from the 1920s to the mid-'50s), considers what makes a "great butler," and expounds upon the key qualities of "dignity" and "loyalty."
#654 - October 05, 2013, 03:55 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
My book group is reading The Writing Class, by Jincy Willett ... a mystery involving the members of a university extension class. The author has a wicked eye for writer foibles--positively Austen-like.
#655 - October 05, 2013, 05:58 PM

updog

Next up: Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman.

I just read "Fortunately, the Milk" to my grandson. He laughed in all the right places, so I think he liked it.

I'm in the middle of Rowling's "The Casual Vacancy". I know a lot of people hated this depressing book, and I can see why. There's really nobody you can root for here. But I think she's closer to the truth of how things really are than some people would like to admit. The characters could easily be members of my own community.  I do sense that Rowling was trying a little too hard to lose the "children's author" label though. Some of the adult content feels unnecessary.
#656 - October 06, 2013, 09:55 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
Getting back to MG after a run of nonfiction and YA novels.

Frosting and Friendship by Lisa Schroeder.   :cupcake

On deck: The 14 Fibs of Gregory K. by Greg Pincus.
#657 - October 07, 2013, 10:01 PM

bookworm452

Starting House of Hades by Rick Riordan tonight! Can't wait.
#658 - October 09, 2013, 12:00 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Ooh, enjoy, bookworm! I think my copy should show up tomorrow. Can't wait!
#659 - October 09, 2013, 12:52 PM

Glimmer by Phoebe Kitanidis.
#660 - October 09, 2013, 01:04 PM
Bazooka Joe says, I have the ability to become outstanding in literature.
http://samhranac.blogspot.com/

Members: