SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Re: Whatcha reading?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Now reading The Sweet Dead LIfe by Joy Preble.
Almost out of books. Then I need to stop reading so much and get this WIP done!
#721 - January 24, 2014, 07:13 PM
FROM WHERE I WATCH YOU/Soho Teen
Twitter @Shannywriter

http://shannongrogan.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Stayed up late to read RJ Anderson's newest, NOMAD (it follows Ivy from SWIFT). Worth staying up for!
#722 - January 25, 2014, 07:19 AM

Reading some YA's I missed the first time around, LIPS TOUCH: THREE TIMES by Laini Taylor and BOOK OF A THOUSAND DAYS by Shannon Hale. Both super well-written and unique in format. LIPS TOUCH is three fantasy novellas with gorgeous illustrations to open and close each one. THOUSAND DAYS is the diary of a servant who's been walled into a tower for seven years with her mistress after the mistress refuses the marry the man chosen for her.
#723 - January 25, 2014, 09:53 AM

updog

I've read some fantastic YA books this January. THE KNIFE OF NEVER LETTING GO by Patrick Ness hooked me from the first page. I was disappointed with the way it ended in the middle of the action, but up till then my eyeballs were glued to the pages. John Green's THE FAULT IN OUR STARS hit a little too close to home for me, but I enjoyed it as much as it's possible to enjoy a book about cancer. THE SCORPIO RACES by Maggie Stiefvater absolutely blew me away. I'm a horse person, so I know that's part of the reason I liked this book so much, but it's not the only reason. The writing was lovely, and the fairy horses were scary but cool, and I really, really liked the two narrators, and I liked that the story wasn't entirely focused on the romance. When I finished, I almost wanted to go back and read it again right away. It was that good.
#724 - January 30, 2014, 03:09 PM
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 03:11 PM by updog »

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
I recently finished THE FAULT IN OUR STARS by John Green, and today I started ONE CAME HOME by Amy Timberlake. Had to force myself to close the book tonight so I could work on my own writing!
#725 - January 30, 2014, 05:02 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Recently read Doll Bones, Sorrow's Knot, Not a Drop to Drink and The Golem and the Jinni. Right now I'm reading Leigh Bardugo's Shadow and Bone, which I love. Fantasy is always high on my list! I found Sorrow's Knot somewhat hard to get through. It was well-written with great world building but it felt repetitive in spots and I think kids might have some trouble following it.

Stella
#726 - February 01, 2014, 06:50 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region florida
I recently finished Escape From Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein. Christ co-writes middle grade novels with James Patterson and he writes on his own as well. I loved it! It is one of my favorite books this year! It's a terrific middle grade read and it features so many great books in the story. It was such a fun read. It's been one of the few books in a while that made me drop everything so I could finish it. And the timing wasn't good for me to drop everything because I finished it just before my regional conference and I had a lot of last minute details to finish! I highly recommend this book.
#727 - February 01, 2014, 08:15 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
I really enjoyed Escape From Mr. Lemoncello's Library too! It wasn't perfect (the puzzle aspect felt a little messy/disorganized once in a while) but it's my favorite recent MG read by a mile and tons of fun!
#728 - February 02, 2014, 02:47 PM

Not kid lit, but just finished Brain on Fire by Susanah Cahalan about her slip into madness because of a rare brain disease, and her amazing recovery - so good I read it in 24 hours! :)
#729 - February 02, 2014, 06:03 PM
Robin

Member.
Poster Plus
I'm reading SEVEN STORIES UP and Jennifer Senior's ALL JOY AND NO FUN. She interviewed my "ECFE" (Early Childhood Family Education) while researching, and the book is very interesting,though depressing. I'm hoping I'll get to a more joyful section soon... :)
#730 - February 03, 2014, 05:57 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
John Connolly's THE GATES. It's quite funny. About quantum physics and the gates of [Satan's home] and a small boy caught in the middle. It reads a bit like Terry Pratchett, actually, and now I'm glad I checked out the two sequels as well.
#731 - February 03, 2014, 03:24 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
Half a Chance by Cynthia Lord.   :love4:  Love being able to read it almost a month early, thanks to a Scholastic book fair.

I also enjoyed I (Heart) Band #2--Friends, Fugues, and Fortune Cookies by Michelle Schusterman. Cute MG series.
#732 - February 03, 2014, 10:57 PM

I'm almost finished with George Orwell's Keep the Aspidistra Flying, which I've been wanting to get my hands on since I saw the film adaptation A Merry War in the late '90s. Kind of a minor work compared with 1984 and Animal Farm, but funny and touching in its own right; set in 1930s London, it tells the story of a poet disgusted with society's emphases on money and status.

#733 - February 15, 2014, 02:51 PM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
I recently read DOLL BONES, COUNTING BY 7S, FLORA AND ULYSSES, MIDWINTER BLOOD, and I'm starting ELEANOR AND PARK. I still like COUNTING BY 7S best of all the above. Beautiful writing in MIDWINTERBLOOD, but the characters were too much like archetypes for me.

I thought FLORA AND ULYSSES was funny and unique, but not layered. In fact, I never did understand what the theme was. Can anyone tell me?

I usually read two or three adult books at a time. Right now I'm reading OUR MATHEMATICAL UNIVERSE by Max Tegmark, a book by Ann Patchett, and THE SMARTEST KIDS IN THE WORLD AND HOW THEY GOT THAT WAY by Amanda Ripley comparing educational systems in the U.S. and Poland, Finland, and Korea. Sounds dull, but it isn't. If you're a teacher or interested in the Core Curriculum standards, I highly recommend this book.

THE GATES sounds like my kind of Sci Fi, Olmue. Maybe I'll get that too. (Luckily I'm an insomniac, with lots of time to read in the middle of the night.)

Rae--I just finished ALL JOY AND NO FUN. It gets better as it goes along--a very thoughtful book.
#734 - February 15, 2014, 03:35 PM
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 04:35 PM by Betsy »
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Now reading Vengeance by Megan Miranda and its real hard to put down!
#735 - February 17, 2014, 09:42 AM
FROM WHERE I WATCH YOU/Soho Teen
Twitter @Shannywriter

http://shannongrogan.com

BIGGER THAN A BREADBOX and SEVEN STORIES UP by Laurel Snyder.
So good.
#736 - February 17, 2014, 09:55 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Just started DOLL BONES last night. I really like it so far.
#737 - February 17, 2014, 09:58 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Just finished Criminal by Terra Elan McVoy. So good! Now, Deeper (NA) and Ten.
#738 - February 17, 2014, 10:36 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Reading Hannah and the Spindle Whorl. Love it!
#739 - February 18, 2014, 06:40 AM
ICE DOGS, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
FALCON WILD, 2017, Charlesbridge
SLED DOG SCHOOL, 2017, HMH
SURVIVOR DIARIES, 2017, HMH

www.terrylynnjohnson.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
My 12YO brought Cress home from the middle school library for me last night, but she needed to bring it back today, so I stayed up to finish it. What a fun series! I like scifi and action, but I never have cared much for dystopian, so I particularly like the Lunar Chronicles. I think it's because a) there are problems, but there's still a world worth saving (as opposed to escaping and/or completely overthrowing every single element of it--plus, it's not all "wrecked"). b) It's not against the ENTIRE government--just against a bad one (Queen Levana). I love how the different books are all part of a much larger story (even if they also happen to be fairy tale retellings). I also appreciated the much more realistic approach to instalove in this book. (I am the first man you have met and trust me, you don't know anything about love.)
#740 - February 18, 2014, 10:30 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Thanks, Olmue! I really like it when posters explain WHY they like or dislike something. That way, I can tell if it's something I might like too.
#741 - February 18, 2014, 10:49 AM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Sorry Betsy-You're right. I use this thread for a lot of my reading ideas. I'm terrible at summarizing books (not to mention queries and synopsis') so I never feel comfortable giving my two cents. But here it is:
Criminal is about a girl who comes from a pretty horrific childhood and has an additive type love for her boyfriend, who never is completely abusive, but is, if you know what I mean. He puts her in a he puts her in a position where she later gets arrested and realizes through this experience how unhealthy her love is. I like dark and edgy-so this was satisfying, and the writing is pretty remarkable.
She's nominated for an Edgar in YA.
Hope that helps      :fireworks

#742 - February 18, 2014, 10:58 AM

Reading " The last dragonslayer" by Jasper Fforde.
#743 - February 18, 2014, 11:18 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
You're so right, Betsy. I get so many reading ideas from here, so it's silly of me not to expand on why I like something.

I said above I was reading DOLL BONES. I'm only 4 chapters in or so, but it makes me feel like I'm 12 again. The characters are on the cusp of being too old to play pretend, and one of the characters is really struggling with it. It brings back memories for me of that time in life. I'm enjoying the pacing and relationships between the characters. Plus, there's that edge of mystery with the off-limits antique doll. I think it's really well done so far and can't wait to see what the rest of the book has to offer.
#744 - February 18, 2014, 11:54 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I just finished reading The Paperboy by Vince Vawter and I liked it a lot. It has some mature themes and at times I felt like it might be a bit much for some elementary school aged kids. The tone of the story reminded me a little bit of A Corner of the Universe by Ann M. Martin which has always been a favorite of mine.
#745 - February 23, 2014, 06:45 PM
THE SECRET OF FERRELL SAVAGE
Atheneum (Simon & Schuster) February, 2014

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I really enjoyed DOLL BONES. And I can't wait to read Ferrell Savage!

Right now I'm reading BEDKNOB AND BROOMSTICK to my younger kids (5 and 9). The 5YO is really caught by it--it's probably the most interest he's ever shown in a novel. I love it way more than the film version, and I love the wonderful line illustrations by Erik Blegvad (who just died). Mostly I read recent books to my kids, but there are a few oldies that just have that magical sticking power.
#746 - February 27, 2014, 07:46 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Re-reading a Diana Wynne Jones--DEEP SECRET. And her last book--one that was partially written at her death and was finished by her sister Ursula--will be out in April!
#747 - February 27, 2014, 08:07 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I'm just starting two good ones. The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd (audio). I'm only on disc two, but the readers are wonderful and the language, beautiful. I also brought Cynthia Lord's Half a Chance home today--lovely opening chapter!
#748 - February 28, 2014, 02:21 PM
ROLLER BOY (Fitzroy Books, 2018)
AMY'S CHOICE (Luminis Books, 2014)
CALL ME AMY (Luminis Books, 2013)
www.marciastrykowski.com
Twitter: @MarciaStry

Just finished Adam Sternbergh's SHOVEL READY - an adult noir thriller about a garbage man turned assassin in post-nuclear New York City. It has a really unique style - short phrases, no quotations or dialogue tags, but it works for the story. A great example of breaking the writing "rules" successfully.

Also loved THE INVENTION OF WINGS - now my teen has it for social studies extra credit. So nice when subject area teachers find a way to include novels.

Just starting CRUEL BEAUTY, Rosamund Hodge's YA retelling of Beauty and the Beast set in a fantasy kingdom. Really like the beginning.
#749 - March 02, 2014, 11:56 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Just finished BOMB by Steve Sheinkin. Fascinating. I learned a lot.
#750 - March 06, 2014, 10:11 PM

Members: