SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Re: Whatcha reading?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
Almost done reading a great historical YA novel: Diary of a Waitress, The Not-So-Glamorous Life of a Harvey Girl by Carolyn Meyer. Interesting subject and time period (1926).
#931 - April 11, 2015, 10:12 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I have Masterminds on my TBR pile, but I just finished both The Three-Body Problem and Grasshopper Jungle this weekend, and feel the need for a nice quiet book that is NOT about The End of Life as We Know It.
#932 - April 12, 2015, 02:13 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region illinois
I'm reading Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi. I went to the library and it had ALL OF THE BOOKS in the series available for checkout. How often does that happen? So I'm going to plow through the series before the due date on Monday (unless I can renew them).
#933 - April 15, 2015, 11:47 AM
- ronni
WHEN THE STARS LEAD TO YOU | 11.12.19 LBYR
http://ronnidavis.com
http://twitter.com/lilrongal

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Niiiice, LilRonGal. Yes, grab the whole series while you can! :)

Currently reading Shadow Scale (sequel to Rachel Hartman's Seraphina). It's good, although a bit different from the first one (Kiggs is in it almost not at all so far, and I'm halfway through).
#934 - April 15, 2015, 12:06 PM

Owl Princess
Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Almost finished GIRLS LIKE US by Sheila Webber, adult NF, a triple biography of Carole King, Joni Mitchell, and Carly Simon. I'm enjoying the 60s nostalgia and am mentally hearing a lot of good songs.

I'm simultaneously reading Nathan Bransford's first in his MG trilogy, JACOB WONDERBAR AND THE COSMIC SPACE KAPOW. It's a lot of fun.
#935 - April 15, 2015, 12:21 PM
ANTIQUE PIANO & OTHER SOUR NOTES
http://decoowlpress.com

Barb  :owl

Blog: http://owlsquill.blogspot.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
There are TWO books with Girls Like Us as a title? May the tide lift both boats. I just read the one by Gail Giles a couple of months ago. It's post-HS fiction about two girls different disabilities living on their own (uneasy roommates) for the first time.
#936 - April 15, 2015, 06:58 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Loved Jandy Nelson's I'LL GIVE YOU THE SUN. Fascinating structure with two narrators, boy and girl twins. The boy narrates from age 13, the girl from age 16, the chapters interspersed with each other. The voices are so compelling and individual. Some of the situations should have felt contrived, but they didn't because the writing was so convincing.
#937 - April 17, 2015, 06:53 PM

I'm almost finished with a re-read of Les Liaisons Dangereuses. Great stuff, but Merteuil is such a horrible, horrible character...  :cheesy
#938 - April 18, 2015, 08:54 AM
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region illinois
I just started ALL THE BRIGHT PLACES by Jennifer Niven and I'm enjoying it very much. I'm also currently reading UNRAVEL ME by Tahereh Mafi. I'm having a harder time with that because it's such an intense book--Juliette is an intense character.

Rab: I liked I'LL GIVE YOU THE SUN. Noah's voice was so enjoyable to read. He truly was an artist. 

Ahh, reading is my favorite.

:studia
#939 - April 18, 2015, 04:00 PM
- ronni

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Oooh, I need to get Shadow Scale. I meant to request it but I forgot!
#940 - April 18, 2015, 04:30 PM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
ALL THE LIGHT WE CANNOT SEE, which some of us discussed in this thread, just won a Pulitzer for fiction.
#941 - April 20, 2015, 02:22 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region illinois
Finished ALL THE BRIGHT PLACES and had my heart thoroughly broken. Sometimes I feel like an idiot for not seeing certain things coming, OR seeing them and being in denial about it, so when it happens, I get blindsided by ALL THE FEELS.  :cry2 :bluesad

Now I'm reading the other book about bright stuff with post-its on the cover. THE QUEEN OF BRIGHT AND SHINY THINGS by Ann Agguire.

And still working on UNRAVEL ME.

Oh and I'll be reading a play this week: TRIBUTE by Bernard Shaw. I have a monologue to work on for my acting class.  :shocked
#942 - April 20, 2015, 03:10 PM
- ronni

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
I just reserved ALL THE LIGHT WE CANNOT SEE, Ellen. Can't wait.

Until then I'm reading and enjoying MILA 2.0, debut novel by Debra Driza. Really fun so far.
#943 - April 20, 2015, 04:38 PM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
I'll take a look at MILA. ALL THE LIGHT WE CANNOT SEE is pretty heavy going in places. Short chapters help, but one comment I've seen in several places is that it's too slow moving. For me, the beautiful writing made up for that.

Hope you like it, but you may not.
#944 - April 20, 2015, 05:32 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
FYI, MILA 2.0 is on one of our state awards list, so others must have enjoyed it, too.
#945 - April 20, 2015, 07:14 PM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Recently read Katherine Paterson's memoir, STORIES OF MY LIFE. Wow, I loved it and was so inspired by it!

Now I'm reading THE YEARLING because I've never read it and an author I follow listed it as one of his/her favorite books. (I say his/her because I can't even remember who is was...I think maybe Kate Di Camillo...)
#946 - April 22, 2015, 02:32 PM

ALL THE LIGHT WE CANNOT SEE, which some of us discussed in this thread, just won a Pulitzer for fiction.

I'm ecstatic that it won. There are great books out there but you don't come across one like this often (at least for me).

I'm reading Harriet The Spy.
#947 - April 23, 2015, 08:16 PM
Writing & Illustrating Quietly Bold Kidlit

https://carryusoffbooks.com/
My Clearest Me
Little Orchid's Sea Monster Trouble

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
A Ring of Endless Light --- the dolphin scenes are truly amazing and helping to serve as a mentor text to my own MG :)

Next up--- WISH GIRL by our very on Nikki Loftin  :goldstar
#948 - April 23, 2015, 08:56 PM
Vehicle Dreams Series-RPKids '16 -'18
(Fire Truck, Bulldozer, Race Car)
Rainy Day Picnic-Read Your Story '18
The Sparrow and The Trees- Arbordale '15

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
A Ring of Endless Light --- the dolphin scenes are truly amazing and helping to serve as a mentor text to my own MG

Schriscoe, my copy of that novel is in tatters from being read so often---I love those dolphin scenes, especially. For an equally evocative dolphin book for slightly younger readers, Karen Hesse's THE MUSIC OF DOLPHINS, about a girl raised by dolphins, is worth a read if you don't know it.
#949 - April 24, 2015, 06:32 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Schriscoe, my copy of that novel is in tatters from being read so often---I love those dolphin scenes, especially. For an equally evocative dolphin book for slightly younger readers, Karen Hesse's THE MUSIC OF DOLPHINS, about a girl raised by dolphins, is worth a read if you don't know it.

Fantastic! Thanks! I just added it to my TBR list :)

I know! Those scenes are so SO wonderful, I hope I can do half as great of a job in my own dolphin book. I have sticky notes all inside it marking them :)
#950 - April 24, 2015, 08:10 PM
Vehicle Dreams Series-RPKids '16 -'18
(Fire Truck, Bulldozer, Race Car)
Rainy Day Picnic-Read Your Story '18
The Sparrow and The Trees- Arbordale '15

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Just downloaded THE BLACK PEARL by Scott O'Dell. (Have to catch up on some classics.) Recently finished MORTAL HEART, book 3 of the HIS FAIR ASSASSIN trilogy by Robin LaFevers. Loved that series!
#951 - April 25, 2015, 07:25 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region caribbeannorth
I'm reading The Wizard of Earthsea. It's the first one of a trilogy. Ursula LeGuin is a great fantasy writer. I also read Gifts and Voices. I hope some of her wisdow rubs on me. At least !%! How she can write short and so intense and profound! If you write fantasy, I suggest you don't forget her.    :love5
#952 - April 26, 2015, 10:36 AM

I'm currently trying to get through Alice In Wonderland, then I'm going to move onto Nobody's Boy. Work my way through the classics, and then read current stuff.

Also checked out Doll Bones and Wondala.

I'm on the hunt mainly for darker classics, particularly ones relatively obscure yet excellent.
#953 - May 21, 2015, 09:35 PM
You can find my stuff at: uggc://plorephyg.bet/~fnenu/oybt.ugzy

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region northtexas
Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy....so lovely.  And A Writer's Guide to Persistence. :dogwalk
#954 - May 22, 2015, 05:09 AM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
  • SCBWI PAL
I'm reading The Wizard of Earthsea. It's the first one of a trilogy. Ursula LeGuin is a great fantasy writer.

Yes, LeGuin is awesome. I've gone back and read some old chapter books that I somehow missed growing up. Just finished Judy Bloom's Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing and I plan on checking out a few more by her. Not sure how I missed them growing up.  I have Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird waiting in the wings...
#955 - May 22, 2015, 10:53 AM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Just finished THE THIEF by Megan Whalen Turner. It's a Newbery Honor Book from 1997 and was reissued in 2009. I LOVED! this book. It's narrated by Gen who claims he can steal anything--yet, he's in prison for doing exactly that. An outsider looking in might think he's a loser, but Gen is the narrator and through his wry sense of humor you just know there's more to him than meets the eye. I won't ruin the story for anyone who hasn't read it, but loved Gen and everything he was up to. Best of all, it had a great ending. Truly satisfying. :-)
#956 - May 25, 2015, 07:12 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Just finished THE THIEF by Megan Whalen Turner. It's a Newbery Honor Book from 1997 and was reissued in 2009. I LOVED! this book. It's narrated by Gen who claims he can steal anything--yet, he's in prison for doing exactly that. An outsider looking in might think he's a loser, but Gen is the narrator and through his wry sense of humor you just know there's more to him than meets the eye. I won't ruin the story for anyone who hasn't read it, but loved Gen and everything he was up to. Best of all, it had a great ending. Truly satisfying. :-)

Venus Brown, you are so lucky! You still have The Queen of Attolia and The King of Attolia, both starring Gen, and another book starring Sophos still ahead of you. I wish I could read them again for the first (or even tenth!) time.
#957 - May 26, 2015, 05:04 PM

I'm now reading a middle-grade novel-in-verse, RED BUTTERFLY by A. L. Sonnichsen.
#958 - May 26, 2015, 09:43 PM
Writing & Illustrating Quietly Bold Kidlit

https://carryusoffbooks.com/
My Clearest Me
Little Orchid's Sea Monster Trouble

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
ROOK, by Sharon Cameron. It's a retro-futuristic (it's the future that now looks like the past??) of The Scarlet Pimpernel. I've read books in this genre that try too hard, but this one makes you feel. I'm enjoying it!
#959 - May 30, 2015, 07:07 PM

Spymistress by Jennifer Chev.  I thought it was an interesting and nice easy to read book of creative non-fiction about a women spy during the Civil War who lived in Virginia, and helped the Union soldiers.
#960 - May 31, 2015, 12:37 PM

Members: