SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Re: Whatcha reading?

Discussion started on

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I'm now on The Girl with Seven Names, by Hyeonseo Lee (another book about a girl who escaped from North Korea, interestingly from the same home town as the last one.) It's really good so far.

Also reading the fifth and final Penderwick book.
#1141 - June 26, 2018, 07:08 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
I just finished reading  THE STAIRCASE OF FIRE by Ben Woodard over the weekend. It's a YA historical novel set in the 1920's about a boy coming of age. It's suspenseful and at times heartbreaking, dealing with the racial tensions of the times. The MC Tom is trying to outrun his demons (at a younger age he had accidentally caused his baby sister's death) and, in the process, makes some poor choices.

I thought it was well-done, although my husband didn't like that at the end, the reader is left to envision what comes next. The book deals with some tough ethical dilemmas, such as what you do when the needs of different people you love call you to different courses of action.

This is the third book in a trilogy, but I thought it stood by itself okay. If you're looking for something for YA boys I would especially recommend it.

Edited to correct my stupid error in the title. Duh!
#1142 - June 26, 2018, 01:15 PM
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 01:31 PM by Ev »

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I received an ARC in the mail (one of the PW specials) that I read yesterday (the day it arrived). It's LIES, by TM Logan, and I thought it was nicely written with good flow and pacing. It was definitely creepy (in the sense that you can feel the noose tightening). It's a thriller about a man who discovers his wife has been lying to him, and at the same time, someone else in their life is trying to frame him. I really wondered a number of times how it would turn out. It comes out in September, I believe (though it's already published in the UK).
#1143 - June 26, 2018, 03:50 PM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
You made me laugh, Jody.  So I decided to follow you on twitter.  Now I see that we have school in common. I worked as a teacher and counselor.  And now writing!   

I, also, see my twitter handle doesn´t appear here. I must change that.  It´s  @Z_RiveraMorales, just in case.

I followed you back, Zoraida! I'm not surprised that so many children and young adult writers are or once were teachers and counselors!

Jody
#1144 - June 26, 2018, 10:09 PM
MOSTLY THE HONEST TRUTH (HarperCollins 3/12/2019)
Twitter: @jodyjlittle
Facebook: @jodyjlittleauthor

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
I am dipping my toes back on the BB after staying away far too long. This post seemed like a happy place to start!

I just finished THE DRY by Jane Harper. I couldn't put it down. The setting--a small town in Australia experiencing a terrible drought--was a character of its own. The story centers around a federal agent returning home after the tragic death of his childhood friend, and the investigation reveals a lot about the town itself. It's very well done and kept me guessing until the end.

Next up is HANNAH COULTER by Wendell Berry.
#1145 - June 29, 2018, 11:31 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Erin, THE DRY sounds really interesting -- I'm going to put it on hold at the library. :)

I just finished Karen Robards' MOSCOW DECEPTION, the second in a trilogy (I'm assuming, since it had a cliff hanger). It was as action-packed as the first, and I like her writing style (romantic suspense is the genre). The MC has a 'normal' life, but she's also a master thief...
#1146 - June 29, 2018, 12:24 PM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

Read Into the Water by Paula Hawkins, but I didn't like much.  There's a stream of water that surrounds the small town that the book refers to all the happenings through the nearby water. 

I, also, am going to have to read the book The Dry other people I've met have enjoyed and suggested it, too.
#1147 - June 29, 2018, 04:44 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I'm reading Some Kind of Happiness by Claire Legrand. It's a potential comp for my MG. So far, I like the interplay between reality and fantasy--it may be an alternate reality, but I'm not convinced.

You're all making me wish I had more time to read.
#1148 - June 29, 2018, 08:23 PM
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 09:15 PM by Debbie Vilardi »
Twitter: @dvilardi1

This summer I've been reading Live From New York: The Complete, Uncensored History of SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE as Told by Its Stars, Writers and Guests, by James Andrew Miller and Tom Shales (originally released in 2002, updated and expanded ahead of the show's 40th anniversary in 2014).

As a longtime SNL fan -- since I started watching in the late '80s-early '90s (I'm about halfway through the book now, up to the 1990-95 period, so most of what I've read about so far was before my time) -- I think it's pretty fascinating and funny stuff. So far I haven't been too shocked or disappointed about who was doing what (or whom), or who wasn't getting along or whatever; I've even found the various moments of conflicting accounts (which are bound to come up in the "oral history" format) more amusing than maddening.   ::-)
#1149 - July 29, 2018, 02:12 PM
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 02:28 PM by G.R. »
"This is your life and you be what you want to be.
Just don't hurt nobody, 'less of course they ask you."

XTC, "Garden of Earthly Delights" (1989)

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I just finished reading She Was the Quiet One by Michele Campbell. I enjoyed its quiet (ha) intensity, and though the story unfolded a little on the slow side, I thought the insights into the various characters was fascinating. It's also a chilling tale because of the narcissism involved -- easy to see from the reader POV, but many of the characters only see one facet and miss it. I think some people don't like that kind of reveal (when the reader knows more than the narrator(s)), but I didn't mind it here.

This is a suspense/mystery which takes place at a boarding school, with the majority of the tension between twin sisters and their adult advisors -- you know from the get-go that one of the twins is murdered, but you don't find out which one until about 2/3 through...then it's waiting to see if the murderer will be caught (it's not really a mystery who it is -- just if the person will be caught before more are killed). I'd say it's more of a psychological suspense than anything else.
#1150 - August 17, 2018, 12:34 PM
Robin

This is a suspense/mystery which takes place at a boarding school, with the majority of the tension between twin sisters and their adult advisors -- you know from the get-go that one of the twins is murdered, but you don't find out which one until about 2/3 through...then it's waiting to see if the murderer will be caught (it's not really a mystery who it is -- just if the person will be caught before more are killed). I'd say it's more of a psychological suspense than anything else.

Wow, this sounds like one of those chilling Japanese or Korean thriller films. I'm intrigued now!
#1151 - August 17, 2018, 08:52 PM
Writing & Illustrating Quietly Bold Kidlit

https://carryusoffbooks.com/
My Clearest Me
Little Orchid's Sea Monster Trouble

Read a PB about Ada Lovelace and her love of math as one of the earlier woman mathematicians, and I'm reading "The Enchantress of Numbers" novel by Jennifer Cheveiliar about the same woman. 
#1152 - August 18, 2018, 03:34 PM

I just started "The Rosie Project" a humorous story about a professor who decided it's time to find a wife.
#1153 - August 30, 2018, 08:44 AM

Members: