• SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
The Doerr book just won an ALEX Award.
#901 - February 04, 2015, 01:43 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
I also read these recently: FIRST BOY, Gary Schmidt--loved the setting, the characters, the plot--and THE WITCH OF BLACKBIRD POND, Elizabeth George Speare--great historical piece, loved the diverse characters, the three romances, the oddballs who congregate at the witch's house. Now reading LIZZIE BRIGHT AND THE BUCKMINSTER BOY, also Gary Schmidt.
#902 - February 09, 2015, 06:37 PM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

I'm reading The Minaturist a book set in Amsterdam about a women who filled her minature dollhouse from her husband with items to make it look like the home she lived in.
#903 - February 09, 2015, 07:39 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
The War that Saved My Life, by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley. It's middle grade, and really good. My 10YO and I each picked it up just to look at, and ended up reading it straight through. It's about some kids who go away to the country during the London blitz, only the MC, Ada, has to actually run away to do it because she has a club foot and her mother is very abusive and doesn't want to even send her. A lady who doesn't know anything about children and is a bit of a misfit herself gets Ada and her brother Jamie assigned to her, and it's a lovely story of how she peels back the damage and helps these kids have a normal life. I thought the author was particularly gifted at giving us Ada's very ignorant-of-life POV, while at the same time showing the reader what's really going on.

The Paper Magician, Charlie N. Holmberg. It reads like YA, although the characters are slightly older, but it's in that fantasy setting where there's quite a sliding scale of ages it appeals to. It's England around the early 20th century, plus magic. A girl graduates and wants to be a metal magician, but there's a shortage of Folders (paper magicians), so she gets apprenticed to one of those, instead. And once you bond to your material, there's no going back--you can't change. There's mystery and chases with villains, and it's a series.

Crown Duel, Sherwood Smith. Which I have totally read before, but sometimes you need a book "friend." It's another "civilization of the feral child" story, set in a fantasy world.
#904 - February 21, 2015, 07:10 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Rose, those books sound great and so many others here. Just not enough hours in the day. Sigh.
#905 - February 26, 2015, 08:52 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I'm plowing s-l-o-w-l-y through John Crowley's Little, Big, which is a huge, sprawling (600 pages) fantasy written with the care of a miniature painter.  Gorgeous gorgeous prose, winner of multiple awards, but it is a slow read.  Anyone else tackled it?

And for a break I dashed through The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks which blew me away for different reasons.  I see now why it was so acclaimed.
#906 - February 26, 2015, 09:14 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region utahsouthidaho
I'm reading A DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC by V.E. Schwab (the pen name that Victoria Schwab uses when she writes for adults). It's fantastic and addictive.
#907 - February 26, 2015, 12:23 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I was out of town and had a chance to browse a bookstore last weekend, Kate, and I saw that one. It immediately went on my TBR list. :)
#908 - February 26, 2015, 01:40 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Have you guys read the picture book KID SHERIFF AND THE TERRIBLE TOADS by Bob Shea? Hysterical! Western + dinosaurs. Super fun.
#909 - February 27, 2015, 09:40 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Reading Beautiful Creatures. Signed copy by Kami Garcia at the NY15 conference :yay
#910 - February 28, 2015, 08:32 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
And for a break I dashed through The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks which blew me away for different reasons.  I see now why it was so acclaimed.

This is an amazing story. While reading it, I kept wondering How did I never know this before, and how many million other things in life have I taken for granted?

I bought the The Ghosts of Tupelo Landing months ago, but my grown daughter and her friends use my house as a library, so I just got it back and can hardly wait to start it.
#911 - March 03, 2015, 10:48 AM

Read "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" and really enjoyed this non-fiction book.  Also, about a year ago the author was in Pgh and gave a nice presentation about her work and self.
#912 - March 05, 2015, 07:50 PM

I'm currently reading Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech, and I'm loving it. It's both familiar and like nothing I've ever read, though I can't pinpoint why.
#913 - March 06, 2015, 07:04 PM
"Happy endings are still endings." -Gregory Maguire

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I'm reading THE SHADOW THRONE by Jennifer A. Nielsen (last book in the Ascendance Trilogy) (well, more accurately, I'm listening to the audiobook), and I just started Gail Carson Levine's craft book WRITING MAGIC. Both are very enjoyable so far!
#914 - March 06, 2015, 07:23 PM
@kstinek

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
I just finished Jonathan Stroud's THE WHISPERING SKULL, which I thoroughly enjoyed; am finishing Erika Johansen's THE QUEEN OF THE TEARLING (epic-scale fantasy), and have just started C. J. Omololu's THE THIRD TWIN, which scared my own twins so much they had to quit reading it at night.
:)
#915 - March 07, 2015, 09:41 AM
THE CABINET OF EARTHS -- HarperCollins, 2012
A BOX OF GARGOYLES -- HC, 2013
THE WRINKLED CROWN -- HC, 2015
www.annenesbet.com

See everyone's reading some good books.  I just picked a book about Madame Tussaud's life - the wax sculpter, and the name of all those wax museums they've opened in the US and abroad.
#916 - March 07, 2015, 08:20 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I just read PAINLESS, by SA Hazarin (our very own Shirley, who's been a  part of this board since it started!) When I got done, I just sat there and let it linger a moment, it was that good. About a boy who's got the rare condition of CIPA (he doesn't sense pain and temperature, which can be very, very dangerous). His parents dumped him on his grandparents and disappeared years ago, and now it's just his grandmother left. But she has Alzheimer's and is almost gone. And despite the people telling him he needs someone watching him every minute, he's alive--and now he's got to go out and live.
#917 - March 08, 2015, 08:43 AM

I've since moved on to The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau. You know, finally getting around to a book recommended to me seven or so years ago...
#918 - March 09, 2015, 02:09 PM
"Happy endings are still endings." -Gregory Maguire

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
My most recent library trip yielded in some good ones! Shannon Hale's latest Princess Academy book (The Forgotten Sisters) was really enjoyable. Also, I can't think of any other books set in a fantasy world based on Lake Titicaca.

I also just read Gordon Korman's latest, Masterminds. In other hands I might not have liked this one as much, but Korman is just very attuned to the kid mind. It doesn't read like a generic TV version of an adult's idea of a kid. It hits straight to the things kids want and think about. Great fun, except that it's the first of a series.
#919 - March 12, 2015, 04:43 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I'm on the last legs of Robin McKinley's THE HERO AND THE CROWN, and I think it's safe to say that I'll be reading her other books. Love it!
#920 - March 12, 2015, 05:19 PM
@kstinek

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
I just finished Shannon Hale's THE FORGOTTEN SISTERS, and enjoyed it very much! I've begun BONE GAP by Laura Ruby and am about to dive into Rachel Hartman's SHADOW SCALE (the SERAPHINA sequel).
#921 - March 12, 2015, 05:29 PM
THE CABINET OF EARTHS -- HarperCollins, 2012
A BOX OF GARGOYLES -- HC, 2013
THE WRINKLED CROWN -- HC, 2015
www.annenesbet.com

Mike Jung

Hey, I'm about to start reading Bone Gap too! STOP COPYING ME, ANNE
#922 - March 12, 2015, 08:10 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
I just finished The Ghosts of Tupelo Landing and loved it. I also read Three Times Lucky and loved that, too. I am so in awe of Sheila Turnage. I'm adding her to my favorite MG authors list - right next to Richard Peck and Louis Sachar.
#923 - March 13, 2015, 08:50 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
I really liked Better Nate Than Ever by Tim Federle, about a young teen who takes a bus to NYC to audition for a Broadway play. It's so funny and fast-paced!
#924 - March 19, 2015, 10:00 AM
Author of SILVER PONY RANCH and ZEKE MEEKS series

http://www.DebraLGreen.com

Admin Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
I recently finished MASTERMINDS, too, and really enjoyed it. I read BETTER NATE THAN EVER as an ARC before it came out and loved it, but I haven't read the sequel. I hope to get started on PAINLESS in the next day or two. Lately I've been on a very odd (for me) run of reading adult nonfiction.
#925 - March 19, 2015, 03:00 PM
http://www.vonnacarter.com
twitter @VonnaCarter

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
The Three-Body Solution, adult SF by Cixin Liu, set during and after the Cultural Revolution. Definitely hard SF but very approachable even for a physics-phobe :hiding like me.
#926 - March 19, 2015, 04:18 PM
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 05:25 PM by AnneB »

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Masterminds is just the kind of book that my husband and sons will pick up and then I have to go hunt it down. (In fact, my 6YO swiped it. He won't finish before it's due, but maybe we'll check it out again and read it aloud.)

I'm reading Gail Carson Levine's Writing Magic. I've never read it before, but this library has it via Overdrive. Oh! It's just what I need. Not a hard hat area construction book, but one that reminds me of the whole reason to love writing in the first place.
#927 - March 21, 2015, 05:38 PM

Rebecca G. Aguilar | Writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
Rose,

Offspring has absconded with MASTERMINDS and re-read it twice. Renewing online to avoid overdue library fines... as we speak.
#928 - April 01, 2015, 07:22 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
I read the sequel to Better Nate Than Ever, called Five, Six, Seven, Nate. Liked it just as much. Such a fun read!
#929 - April 01, 2015, 09:34 AM
Author of SILVER PONY RANCH and ZEKE MEEKS series

http://www.DebraLGreen.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I finished the newest Penderwick book last night. There are a LOT of characters in that book! Batty had a nice arc in this one (it's "her" book), although I found myself rather ticked at another character. Well, there are supposed to be five books in all, I think, so we'll see what happens when the final one rolls around. :)

Currently reading: The Winner's Crime, by Marie Rutkoski. Ahhh. I have liked her other books (I read the Czech series and then the Shades one), but this series is really good. It's packed with intrigue and interpersonal tension, and has all the feels, definitely.
#930 - April 11, 2015, 04:41 PM

Members: