SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

"do" for hair

Discussion started on

CaroleB

So what do you think of using "do" instead of hairdo in a pb?

Any thoughts? Would it sound corny?

Just wondering, as usual, what ya'll think.
Caorle :hair
#1 - June 05, 2012, 12:44 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region houston
I think it's fine -- I don't know how common the term is anymore --- man, I'm out of touch -- living in a cave.
#2 - June 07, 2012, 10:08 AM
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

CaroleB

I think it's fine -- I don't know how common the term is anymore --- man, I'm out of touch -- living in a cave.

LOL, thanks Lill. Talk about living in a cave, I forgot I even asked this question. I think I'll stop asking these kind of questions and just go with it from now on. I've got to stop questioning myself all the time and worrying about usage etc.
#3 - June 07, 2012, 10:59 AM

Veronica

My younger elementary-school-age daughter & her friends say things like "Check out my hairstyle" - I've never heard them use the term hairdo, let alone just "do" - it seems kind of out-of-date to me, but maybe the term is just out of fashion in this area?
#4 - June 23, 2012, 09:35 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Maybe there are regional differences that would allow for "do", but it sounds really dated to me and I'm no spring chicken. It sounds like something out of a 40's or 50's movie. That being said, it still might work in your PB, depending on how you want to use it.

Laurel
#5 - June 23, 2012, 10:09 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I'm with Pons and Veronica - "do" seems dated to me too - I haven't heard that term for ages and I doubt my sons would know what a "do" is. But then again, in the right PB it might be a fun word and picture!
#6 - June 24, 2012, 06:26 PM
Freaky Funky Fish ( Running Press Kids Spring 2021)

Members: