SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

When did your son start shaving?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
Just looking for a reasonable age range here so I know if it is something my character (13) can do. Thanks!
#1 - June 07, 2012, 07:41 AM
FIVE SHORT SECONDS
SAYA AT SPEED
RULES OF THE GAME
TEST CASES
TWISTER RESISTERS
CRASH COURSE
Heinemann, Fall 2013

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
my son is 13 and has nothing but peach fuzz, but he is very fair. my nephew started shaving at 14.
#2 - June 07, 2012, 07:51 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
My nephew was shaving by then. He was one of those mustachioed children.

So was my niece until she was about nine and her mom brought out the wax. You don't want to make a young girl overfocused on her appearance, but she was long award of her unibrow before that happened.
#3 - June 07, 2012, 07:53 AM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oregon
  • SCBWI PAL
I have two sons and they both started shaving around 14. Although at that age, it's like once a week, not every day, and just above the lip.
#4 - June 07, 2012, 07:54 AM
The Bridge From Me to You, Scholastic
plus five other YA novels
It's Raining Cupcakes trilogy
Charmed Life series
http://www.lisaschroederbooks.com

AdamV

I think I first started shaving when I was 13. I basically had about five whiskers that would grow ridiculously long without shaving. It wasn't even the cool peach fuzz mustache that most people get; they were uselessly scattered around my face and neck. I think most boys are reluctant to shave at that age because any hair is a sign of manliness, but on the other hand shaving feels very adult, too, when you gotta do it. I learned Dad's shaving routine with a shaving cream beard and Old Spice aftershave and eventually realized my whiskers were so wimpy that I just had to get them wet and swipe them off.
#5 - June 07, 2012, 07:58 AM

AdamV

* Results may not be typical. I turned out to be a hairy monster.  :bear2
#6 - June 07, 2012, 08:11 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
I don't have anything useful to add to this thread (sorry, Elizabeth!) but I just wanted to drop in to say how fascinating I find all this! I'd never considered the fact that a boy might actually like the two whiskers on his chin because he thinks they're manly. Because to me, as a young teen, a boy with a couple of whiskers sticking out at odd angles from his cheeks was definitely less attractive than a boy without any, shaven or otherwise! (NB I'm not anti facial hair, I actually like beards, but the sprinkled hair effect just reminds me of old women and witches.)
#7 - June 07, 2012, 08:16 AM

I would add that another common reaction is more of embarrassment than pride. After all, wouldn't Freud say that common myths such as the werewolf or even vampire transformations are just sublimated fears of the trauma of puberty? My boys approached their facial grooming as a private and perhaps almost shameful exercise -- but keep in mind they were being raised, at least in part, by a neurotic creative writer. They were late bloomers, with peach fuzz issues emerging at 14 and 15.
#8 - June 07, 2012, 09:00 AM
In Real Life, Tuttle Publishing, Fall 2014

My son started shaving the fuzz on his lip at 13. Just once in a while. He would do it in the shower whenever it started to get a little dark. He is 15 now, and still moving at the same pace, though he might do it a little more often. No real chin hair yet, though!  :old
#9 - June 07, 2012, 09:02 AM
"If you don't get it right the first time, just get it written." ~J. Thurber
http://thebrokentree.blogspot.com
http://gglightandshadow.blogspot.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
My second son started ragging on his older brother about his "mustache" (which was mostly invisible) when said older son was about 13. But now he's 14 and we urge him to shave every now and then. He not only has a mustache, he has the peach fuzz on his chin. He's sort of self conscious about it.
#10 - June 07, 2012, 09:16 AM

I started shaving at 17 but I hit puberty late.
#11 - June 07, 2012, 09:33 AM

Poster Plus
My 16 year old is growing hair on his chin. The 13 year old has a visible mustache. Just the other day he pointed out a shaving kit
and said, "I'd like one of those. But not right now."
#12 - June 07, 2012, 10:07 AM
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

My son was 13 when he got peach fuzz on his top lip and 14 when a fine growth of hair appeared on his chin. He didn't get underarm hair until this year, 15.  But honest, trying to get him to shave is a battle. He loves his facial hair. Treasures it as much as his X-Box or his Wii.
#13 - June 07, 2012, 10:18 AM
http://www.samposey.com/
The Last Station Master, Feb. 2013

Jo Knowles

My poor son started at 12! Just once a week or so. One of the girls at school told him he needed to and that was that. He hates it. His voice also changed already. It actually changed instantly, which I didn't think was possible but it was like a switch. So... he may hate the shaving but at least he didn't have to go through the squeaking and squawking that many of his friends are experiencing now.

Good luck with your WIP!

Jo
#14 - June 07, 2012, 10:32 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
My sons both began shaving at about age 13-14; again, as needed rather than every day. My SIL said he was 12; he was an early bloomer. But of the 3, my older son now has by far the heaviest beard. When they start doesn't determine how whiskered they'll become.

FWIW, my sons also had the instant voice change. And one of my son's friends had a really deep voice by age 12, also a pretty instantaneous change. When he called my son up one day and I answered, I had to ask later, "Who WAS that?"

So I think you've got a lot of leeway.  BTW, I have seen a full, dark, "real" mustache on an 8th grader.
#15 - June 07, 2012, 10:48 AM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

jeffman

I've always been fair and light bearded. First chin whiskers started appearing before upper-lip whiskers. This was around 15. Yes, I cherished them. They were very curly and sort of puddled on the bottom of my chin, but I could stretch them out 2-3 inches. In a year I came to hate the fact that schoolmates had so much more whiskerage than I did. It was very typical to see full sideburns squared off near the earlobe. I squared mine off a bit higher than that so I didn't look like I was trying and failing to grow more.

I didn't shave regularly till college, and even then I'd wait a few days between shavings because any whiskers than hadn't fully emerged would cause the skin to tear and my neck would be very raw and red. I have the beard today pretty much for the same reason.

OTOH, my hairiest friends all started balding in college, and I knew a few guys in HS who were the same way.
#16 - June 07, 2012, 10:49 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
I'm so glad I asked this question because the answers are so fun! A boy's first facial hair seems full of narrative possibility! Thank you so much!  :thankyou
#17 - June 07, 2012, 11:13 AM
FIVE SHORT SECONDS
SAYA AT SPEED
RULES OF THE GAME
TEST CASES
TWISTER RESISTERS
CRASH COURSE
Heinemann, Fall 2013

AdamV

Just remembered an embarrassing episode where a kid literally plucked a hair from my Adam's apple in science class my freshman year. That dampened my enthusiasm a little bit.
#18 - June 07, 2012, 11:28 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Just remembered an embarrassing episode where a kid literally plucked a hair from my Adam's apple in science class my freshman year. That dampened my enthusiasm a little bit.

That is so hilarious and awful and wonderful. Was the plucker a boy or a girl?
#19 - June 07, 2012, 12:01 PM
Twitter: @MelissaKoosmann

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
My eldest just started about two months ago (right around the time he turned 14), but he's only shaved maybe 3 or 4 times in since then. And it's just his upper lip. It had been getting noticeable for a few months before that, but it didn't start to get really dark until just recently. He has a bit of peach fuzz on his cheeks, but no real hair there yet.

My dad can shave twice a day, but my hubby only has to shave every other day. I'm hoping both my boys take after their dad and not mine, but I'm not holding my breath. :sigh

Hope that helps!

Rue
#20 - June 07, 2012, 12:14 PM
WIP: ETBs 10687/35000 (30.5%)
WIP: IWWP 12045/35000 (34.4%)

AdamV

That is so hilarious and awful and wonderful. Was the plucker a boy or a girl?

Plucker was a boy. I noticed him staring at me funny while I was trying to pay attention in class, and suddenly the poor little hair was gone.
#21 - June 07, 2012, 12:51 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
Oh my goodness, I have a son and I have never even considered the possibility that someday he is going to have to shave.  Mmmm, I have a feeling there are probably a lot of things I don't know about raising a teenage boy.  Luckily that's still many years away.
#22 - June 07, 2012, 01:11 PM

Penn Bender

My 13 year old son isn't even close to needing to shave. Then again, he may be closer than I think. Sigh.
#23 - June 08, 2012, 11:24 AM

Owl Princess
Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
My brother started at 14.
#24 - June 08, 2012, 12:14 PM
ANTIQUE PIANO & OTHER SOUR NOTES
http://decoowlpress.com

Barb  :owl

Blog: http://owlsquill.blogspot.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
I had a manuscript in which a 15-year-old boy was shaving, and my editors didn't think it was realistic, so I did some research into this question. Also, I thought back to my own adolescence, and the boys I knew then. I remember one boy having a mustache at the age of 13-14, and two high-school seniors who had beards, and a friend of mine with a mustache when we were around 15.
Anyway, what I turned up during research was that most boys seem to start regular shaving later than I would have guessed: 15-17. But there are always exceptions, of course: some who don't shave regularly until college, some who need to start around 13.
I do wonder if it's changed over time. I think there are studies showing that girls physically mature earlier than they used to; I wonder if that's true of boys also.
#25 - June 08, 2012, 01:18 PM
Jennifer R. Hubbard
www.jenniferhubbard.com

Loner in the Garret: A Writer's Companion
Until It Hurts to Stop
Try Not to Breathe
The Secret Year

Veronica

My son will be 14 in a little over a week. He could be shaving if he wanted to (I think he should), but he's happy with his little moustache and wants to let it grow, so he doesn't.
#26 - June 23, 2012, 09:26 AM

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
My brother didn't need to shave until he was 16-17 (somewhere in there), but then, he also didn't start growing (height-wise) until then, either.  Now, he's around 5'10" (which is average, I believe), but he's never had a full beard...however, his beard is thicker than my husband's (but then, he's half-Japanese).

So it'll be interesting to see what happens with my son (who's only 10 -- thank goodness we will have a few years, at least).
#27 - June 23, 2012, 10:23 AM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

Members: