SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Things found on the floor

Discussion started on

Penn Bender

I'm wondering what sort of things a six year old boy might be happy to find on the floor of his messy room. Any thoughts?
#1 - June 08, 2012, 11:21 AM

AdamV

I used to really like finding change on the floor. Guess my parents' had holes in their pockets or something because I'd find a penny or a dime on my floor from time to time.
#2 - June 08, 2012, 11:27 AM

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
Money
Game piece
Trading card (Pokemon, for example)
LEGO piece
Video or electronic game
Action figure (or accessory for said action figure)
Hat, shoe, sock

That's all I can think of right now.

Hope that helps!

Rue
#3 - June 08, 2012, 11:30 AM
WIP: ETBs 10687/35000 (30.5%)
WIP: IWWP 12045/35000 (34.4%)

Having just done the beginning of the summer dig out of my 7 and 11 year old son's room I agree with the above comments but just wanted to add that it's not just any leggo piece--it's usually a particular leggo piece they've been looking for, a specific action figure, a lost and loved stuffed animal, a favorite shirt, the lost match to a well-loved pair of socks or shoes, a lost gift card and other found money--even not spendable money like coins from another country. They love to find things they outgrew and loved and to look at how much they've grown, old favorites they don't play with any more but don't want to get rid of, old school work (yes!) and artwork, old pictures of anything--sports teams, vacations, birthday parties--especially since we've moved a lot and they don't see some of those people anymore. We had a great time (ha!) deciding when 11 had to pass something on to 7. There are many too-small favorite shirts in his drawer that he's not ready to see 7 wearing yet! LOL. And then bigger brothers come in and comment--"Hey, wasn't that mine?" Funny. Thus the reason I cried at Toy Story 3.

It's not so much the object as it is the memory that goes with it. Hope that helps.
#4 - June 08, 2012, 12:00 PM

Happy? Let's see...

A coupon for a free ice cream cone.
A four-leaf-clover.
His pet earthworm.
The tooth he lost and never put under his pillow.
A birthday card from Grandma with $5 in it.
His pirate eye patch.
A rock that he's pretty sure is a dinosaur tooth.
His missing walkie-talkie.
The front wheel off his toy motorcycle.

#5 - June 08, 2012, 12:04 PM

Well, he's not six, but my two year old boy loves finding old candy on the floor.   :groan
#6 - June 08, 2012, 12:05 PM
THE THREE RULES OF EVERYDAY MAGIC (Boyds Mills Press, Fall 2018)

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
Haha! Yes, like Jojohn said, it's usually something they've lost and been looking for or lost and forgotten about, but has some sort of sentimental attachment. LEGO is ALWAYS the big one around here. "The hair! I found the hair!"  :hahaha

Some others I thought of:

Markers or crayons
Scissors
Stickers
Stamps

Hope that helps!

Rue

Rue
#7 - June 08, 2012, 12:15 PM
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 12:17 PM by ruecole »

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Definitely old candy from a gift bag from a birthday party months before! (Hopefully not unwrapped or licked yet!)

I agree with the other answers too - sentimental value is huge. Legos and $$ (usually coins) are a pleasant surprise in our house as well.
#8 - June 08, 2012, 05:27 PM

Penn Bender

These are all so great! Thanks for the ideas.

I wonder if I could expand the question to include things that a kid would unhappy to discover.  I don't need to start a different thread for that, do I?

#9 - June 08, 2012, 06:39 PM

Penn Bender

BTW I have spent a chunk of the day digging around under my kids' beds in hopes of finding my kindle.  Please keep your fingers crossed that I find it before the next road trip.
#10 - June 08, 2012, 06:41 PM

Unhappy to discover a flipped-over petrified dead roach.
#11 - June 08, 2012, 07:10 PM
SWAY, 2012 from Disney-Hyperion
CIRCA NOW, 2014 from Disney-Hyperion
http://www.ambermcreeturner.com
https://www.facebook.com/SwayByAmberMcReeTurner

Unhappy to find sister's used Strawberry Shortcake Bandaid?
#12 - June 08, 2012, 07:13 PM
SWAY, 2012 from Disney-Hyperion
CIRCA NOW, 2014 from Disney-Hyperion
http://www.ambermcreeturner.com
https://www.facebook.com/SwayByAmberMcReeTurner

A hairball the cat coughed up.
#13 - June 08, 2012, 07:41 PM

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
Anything they truly cherished now broken.
A dead pet (eg. frog/lizard/snail/fish).
An essay/test/report card with a bad mark that was supposed to be signed and returned to school.
A big stain or something gooey stuck to the carpet.

Hope that helps!

Rue
#14 - June 08, 2012, 10:34 PM

MaryWitzl

A cracked marble, old pack of playing cards, cat's whiskers, missing yo-yo (they roll away from you and the spaces under beds are a favorite escape destination), old Lifesavers or other hard candy, chewed gum still with a little flavor in it, missing toy parts, and YES, the cash-enclosed cards from relatives -- my kids garnered small fortunes going through all the old cards they'd been too lazy to put away.

As for things you're unhappy to find: cans of juice that have spilled, dead hamsters mortally injured by cats, petrified fish or reptiles, escaped & well-dried-out slugs or snails, sandwich remains sealed in plastic bags full of mold, apple cores and banana peels, perfectly good & well-loved socks your mom has just thrown away the long unmatched partner for.
#15 - June 09, 2012, 01:27 AM

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
Things you would be unhappy finding:  something you swore up and down that you had nothing to do with and it would never be in your room, like your sister's Barbie doll - you probably uses it to roll your truck over it or something else equally torturous and forgot to return it to her room.  A dish or glass that wasn't supposed to leave the kitchen.  A cookie with ants crawling on it. Earrings you borrowed from your mother or older sister to play treasure with...   
#16 - June 09, 2012, 05:20 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
My nephew does a lot of weeping over broken toys, and he's often pretty unhappy even when he finds the missing broken piece from a toy he already knew he broke.

But he definitely gets excited about finding lego pieces. And he likes finding anything from nature, like if a feather or a cool fall leaf blew in.

A dead spider could go either way, depending on mood. (Good mood: "Whoa, cool!" Bad mood: "Aaargh!")

#17 - June 11, 2012, 08:47 PM
Twitter: @MelissaKoosmann

Penn Bender

These are great! Thanks so much!
#18 - June 13, 2012, 06:46 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Happy about: Legos, Pokemon cards, old artwork -- anything he's specifically been wanting or looking for.

Unhappy about; pages that have come detached from a book (he knows I'll be unhappy about books that have been mistreated); artwork of his that his 3-year-old sister embellished; anything broken
#19 - June 13, 2012, 07:29 PM
www.carriefinison.com
DOZENS OF DOUGHNUTS - Putnam (July, 2020)
DON'T HUG DOUG (Spring, 2021)

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
Happy: Anything that was once "missing" (Lego pieces, parts to games, cds that belong in their cases, DS cartridges)
Lost tooth the the tooth fairy couldn't find while trying to plant a coin under the pillow and accidentally knocked it to the floor
Leftover Halloween or Holiday candy.
Coolest dead insect ever found in my son's room was a house centipede. They are icky to me but my kids are growing up with them and better able to see the coolness in finding a dead bug that they can examine with their magnifying glasses or microscopes.

Unhappy to find: Things intentionally hidden -shirts that are itchy, "good for you" bedtime stories, annoying CDs or tapes that sibling likes to listen to, things borrowed or taken from sibling out of jealously.
#20 - June 13, 2012, 07:32 PM

Members: