SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

General question on acquisition terminology

Discussion started on

JuliePgh

What do you call it when your manuscript makes it past the first review of a publisher?  Is there a concise or industry term to describe this?  I'm writing a letter to a magazine editor and need to reference that I have 2 pbs which have made it past that initial submission stage.  To say I have manuscripts under consideration sounds like my ms is sitting in slush.  One made it past the editor to his "readers" as he put it, the other is a manuscript that I sent in as a revision request.

And for those of you who are wondering, no, I'm not trying to use these two pbs as pseudo credits. I writing a "how to" article and need to reference something in each of these instances which helps substantiate my article.   Thank you!
#1 - July 13, 2005, 07:03 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Personally, I don't know of any specific terminology of the sort you're looking for.  If it were me, I'd steer clear of any comment like this as it could give the wrong impression.  Editors become very cyncial about these kinds of things because amateur writers find all kinds of ways to inflate their accomplishments.  Even if you're not doing this, you might come off as if you are.  Can you reference your facts and your research without referring to the manuscripts?   
#2 - July 13, 2005, 08:32 AM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

JuliePgh

Thank you, Ellen, point taken.  Back to the drawing board.
#3 - July 13, 2005, 08:40 AM

Members: