SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

pb with alternate ending

Discussion started on

CaroleB

Ever hear of subbing a pb with an alternate ending?
Curious if you ever considered that or heard of someone doing it.

Carole
#1 - June 13, 2012, 11:53 AM

Poster Plus
I've done this with my crit group, but not with an actual publisher.
#2 - June 13, 2012, 12:03 PM

Do you mean as in letting the publisher choose which they like better, or a sort of choose your own story where the reader chooses the ending?
#3 - June 13, 2012, 12:31 PM
THE THREE RULES OF EVERYDAY MAGIC (Boyds Mills Press, Fall 2018)

CaroleB

I meant subbing two different endings, not writing two for the reader.
I'm sure this is a strange question.  :grin
#4 - June 13, 2012, 12:39 PM

pretty pink princess poster
Poster Plus
Yeah, I've only done this for a crit group. I chose what I liked best. If you get a revision suggestion, you may get to sub the alternate ending.

But I have a friend who writes in rhyme and she subs alternate "verses" all the time, so you might chance it. The only trouble you may find is that you're not sure about your story. I'd sub alternate endings to my agent but probably not to a publisher unless I knew the editor well. Once we're in revisions, I'd do that. Just my insignificant two cents... :press2:
#5 - June 13, 2012, 01:07 PM
PBU
http://wwwpamcalvert.blogspot.com/p/picture-book-university.html

Brianna Bright Ballerina Knight series

Princess Peepers
Multiplying Menace

www.tammisauer.com
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oklahoma
I included two possible endings on a ms I sent my agent...it was just for the final scene of the book. My agent included both endings when she passed the ms along to editors. My situation is different, though, in that I already had a working relationship with these editors for previous books. Personly, I would have never subbed two possible endings to people I had never worked with before.

I ended up selling the ms and the editor chose the ending she felt was the stronger of the two.

#6 - June 13, 2012, 01:38 PM
COMING SOON: Making a Friend*Wordy Birdy Meets Mr. Cougarpants*A Little Chicken*Nugget & Fang, the SEAquel*The Farm that Mac Built & MORE

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
I probably wouldn't sub 2 endings. It shows a bit of indecisiveness.

It sounds like the real problem here is that you're having trouble killing off one of your babies. This is the kind of work needs to be done beforehand. No one said writing was easy!! And these kinds of decisions are, at least for me, the hardest part of writing. Gut wrenching!

If you haven't already, I would get opinions from as many people as possible, (critique groups, friends, strangers on the street, etc) and if one is a clear winner then you have an answer.

Then after all that, trust your gut. You probably have a preference, you're just thinking about it too much! Hopefully it matches with the consensus. If not, ignore the consensus!!!!

More practical advice:: if you sub and get feedback about the ending not working you can always "revise" to the alt. and resubmit. You've already done the revision!

:yoda   "Less thoughts equals better thinking, Jedi."
#7 - June 14, 2012, 12:36 PM
BOB AND JOSS GET LOST! (HarperCollins Feb. 2017)
BOB AND JOSS TAKE A HIKE! (HArperCollins 2018)

www.petermccleery.com
https://twitter.com/pmccleery

Members: