SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Does anyone remember this book??

Discussion started on

When I was a kid in the 70s there was a book that I read several times but cannot remember the title or author.

I remember a castle and people stuck in the shadows. That's about all I remember besides the cover.

Anyone else remember a book with features like that? I had older siblings so the book could have been older than that. I will ask my sister, too, but she usually doesn't remember things like that. The book nerd gene manifested itself later in life for her.  :
#1 - June 14, 2012, 02:00 PM

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
I don't know it, but I like the idea of people stuck in the shadows!
#2 - June 14, 2012, 03:09 PM
I've Got a Tail! - Amicus Ink 2020

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
When I first read your post I thought of the Edgar Eager books which I love, but none of their descriptions quite match yours of shadow people.  Although their is a castle and magic in a couple of the books. 

Then when looking it referred to an E. Nesbit book I have never read where cardboard people turned real.  Perhaps these books will help jog your memory.

#3 - June 14, 2012, 03:50 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

I've never read it, but Amazon has something called Shadow Castle that looks to be about the right era. 

http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Castle-Expanded-Marian-Cockrell/dp/0595092969/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Maybe that's it???
#4 - June 14, 2012, 08:18 PM

Sacha! That's it!!! It never dawned on me that Amazon would have it and that it would have been called Shadow Castle. Duh!! I have to re-read it. Thanks a million.
#5 - June 14, 2012, 08:23 PM

Yay! I thought it sounded right. Happy to help. Might check it out myself if my library has it.
#6 - June 14, 2012, 08:25 PM

So funny to read the comments that are so similar to my experience with the book growing up. It is a really old book (1945!) but it seems that Scholastic must have had a book club version that came out because many of the posters were in my age group and my mother was a faithful book club patron. That was one splurge she seldom said "no" to. Thanks again. The new version has contemporary wording. It will be interesting to read and compare to my memories of the book.

And Liz--I have recently been re-reading Half Magic so maybe that's what got me thinking about Shadow Castle.
#7 - June 14, 2012, 08:36 PM

We have that book in my parent's basement!
#8 - June 15, 2012, 06:19 AM

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
hehehe, books in parent's basement.  My mother always asks me what I am taking home this time when I come up from the basement - most of the books were mine, others belonged to my parents, but were not ones I thought they would miss or were worth much to most people.  Maybe a couple of book sellers, but not the rest of the family and they were definitely not my dad's Little Big Books, which there are some worth a small fortune!  There is also a large sign that says "Do Not Touch!" taped to the shelves they are on.  Mostly for the grandkids and great-grandkids since we kids grew up knowing not to touch them.  Since many of them look like comic books they are very enticing! Unfortunately I think I have "snuck" all of the best books out.  LOL
#9 - June 16, 2012, 03:22 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Sully you didn't know you had a treasure! I probably won't like it from my current perspective but I read that book so many times as a girl. There were just some books that had to be read many times--Little House, Nancy Drew, Shadow Castle . . . of course we didn't have a library until I was older unless we drove and we only had one car for a long time so summer time was a huge time of re-reading for me.

I also read the Medical Encyclopedia (and many others), a huge book on Child Development (which started me on my path), Reader's digest, any Harlequin romance I could steal from my sister or mom and just about anything I could get my hands on. I want to re-read Shadow Castle. Going to put my librarian friends on the search until I can justify spending money on books. This is my first summer off since high school. 
#10 - June 16, 2012, 06:00 PM

Shadow Castle sounds like a great book. I may have to ask my library about it. I think I would enjoy it even now and I'm no kid
#11 - June 17, 2012, 11:44 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Please do not speak of books left in parents' basement. A year or so ago, my father donated a couple of bins (BINS!!!) of MGs I was saving. I told my mom about them, but he apparently did not check in with her during his "Everything Must Go to Goodwill" period.  *sniff* I'm still mourning......
#12 - June 17, 2012, 02:27 PM

Just saw this post... I still have my dog-eared copy of Shadow Castle from the late sixties, which I've read countless times.
It was one of those books that made me want to be a writer. I got so lost in the magical world the author created and wanted to be able to do that myself. It's funny because I'm not a fan of epic fantasy now--and never liked The Hobbit or anything like that--but Shadow Castle had the perfect mix of dragons and goblins and princesses and princes and fairies, plus a main character and her dog, that I fell in love with. Growing up it was definitely among my top five favorite books.
#13 - June 17, 2012, 06:44 PM

Members: