SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

warts

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region houston
 :frog:

Do you know of a child who has/had warts on his/her hands?

Has the child been teased because of the warts?

Was the child self conscious or feel bad about the warts?

Have other children (or even adults) not wanted to touch the child because of the warts?

Were the child's warts treated? By what methods? Successful?

Was cost a factor in any of the wart removal methods?  Did the child just have to live with it because there wasn't money for meds/freezing/doctor visits, etc.?

Did the child ever try any odd or folklore type wart cures?

Thank you for answers to any of the above questions as well as any 21st century childhood wart stories you are willing to share.

:frog:

#1 - June 14, 2012, 10:27 AM
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

My daughter had hers frozen off in middle school. No one had teased her, but she didn't like them and wanted them off. One of the remedies Dr. recommended before getting more drastic was taking Tagamet. That did shrink some of them, but she still had a lot. The ones in the cuticle beds were extremely painful to have burned off. Our insurance covered the removal, but if you didn't have insurance it would be pricey - probably in the range of 500 dollars by the time you removed them all. We went to the dermatologist three times before they finally stopped coming back.

No folk remedies for us, but tons of people recommended Duct tape.
#2 - June 14, 2012, 10:36 AM

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I had a wart on my hand.  I definitely didn't like it...we had no money, so I just lived with it.  Then (true story, ha), I got a corn on my pinkie toe, and when we went in to have it removed, we discovered a wart beneath it...and they went ahead and froze that (had to be done, so we found the money -- I couldn't wear shoes) -- and the wart on my hand disappeared within a couple of days.

There was a boy in my elementary class who had warts, and no one would touch him.  He was definitely ostracized because of them, and he was pretty poor (poor kid ended up with lice, as well, and that didn't help).

We tried duct tape for my son's wart -- it did minimize it, and eventually, the wart went away on its own. 
#3 - June 14, 2012, 10:39 AM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
Never had a wart... There is this stuff on the market called Toe Juice (not kidding) - It dried up my poison ivy and it is reportedly good for getting rid of warts.  :)
#4 - June 14, 2012, 11:05 AM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
My older daughter got Dellwarzen...some kind of serial wart, I'm not sure what they're called in English--on her arms when she was in preschool. The teacher thought she had chicken pox (it spreads in the same pattern), but the doctor said no, it's just warts. He said he could dig out the centers of them, but they often just come back, so he'd prefer letting the body take care of them on its own so as not to traumatize a little kid. So I did a lot of internet research and read that they can take up to a year to go away, and that if you put duct tape on them, it can suffocate them out or something. So we did it. And they did go away fairly quickly--maybe a month or two. They were kind of unsightly, but the pediatrician said they weren't very contagious--my daughter had apparently very dry/cracky skin, so it was easier to pick them up that way. Luckily it's over and we haven't any any recurrence (going on five years), and the rest of us never got them.

I've had plantars' warts on my feet before--I tried the nasty burn it off yourself acid, and all it did was hurt. Duct tape fell off. So I painted some clear nail polish on every day, and eventually it fell off. But maybe my body was done with it, anyway, I don't know.
#5 - June 14, 2012, 12:11 PM

Dionna

I've heard that if you cover the wart with duct tape for a week or so, the wart disappears!
#6 - June 14, 2012, 12:14 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
My son had one on his toe, and he was very brave when they froze it off. He was quite self-conscious about it, but it didn't really bother him. His sister made all sorts of noises to show him how much she was disgusted by his toe.

I have a wart on my foot that rubs off on a periodic basis. I'm too lazy to get it removed. I should try the duct tape, Dionna.

Vijaya
#7 - June 14, 2012, 12:30 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region houston
Thanks, everybody!! Warts have been an integral part of my wip's plot ... but .. I'm working with a mentor who suggests the story
might work better in a contemporary setting. I agree and am trying it, but the 45 year difference in time period sorta put a kink
into some of the stuff I had going with the warts .. I didn't know what things were like today.

I had a couple of warts on my neck several years ago ... and I had them frozen (more like burned) off at the doctor's but it was something
that had to be done over and over .. meanwhile I had moved out of state .. and I used some over the counter stuff, and then one day
they just up and disappeared.
#8 - June 14, 2012, 12:31 PM
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region northtexas
Blister beetle juice is used sometimes. It is called Cantharidine. It doesn't cause a lot of scaring. When my daughter had a wart and the pedi said the words 'blister beetle' , she immediately became more routine in using the typical wart removal stuff.   Also Aldara cream is prescribed.
#9 - June 14, 2012, 02:06 PM
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 05:31 AM by scribblegirl »

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
There was a boy in 1st grade who had a lot of warts on his hands, and kids didn't want to touch his hand or have him tough them, but I don't think there was a lot of teasing. The warts must have gone away/been removed at one point, because I don't remember him having them when we were older.

I had on on my thumb from about ages 10-12. Hated it! But I don't think anyone else noticed it, or if they did they didn't say anything. It went away on its own. Had another small one in high school, had a doctor burn that off.
#10 - June 14, 2012, 02:16 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I suspect that the truth about warts is that you have them until your immune system overcomes them. And people try all kinds of noxious "cures," but they go away when they go away.

(I still believe in duct tape, though!)
#11 - June 14, 2012, 02:58 PM

One thing about warts "going away". After burning off the last the doctor warned us that they can come back at times when the body is stressed. She mentioned pregnancy, but I'm sure your MG character could have some other kind of stress if you wanted them to reappear!
#12 - June 14, 2012, 03:47 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
I suspect that the truth about warts is that you have them until your immune system overcomes them. And people try all kinds of noxious "cures," but they go away when they go away.

(I still believe in duct tape, though!)

Blimey, such a lot of wart talk! When we were kids people would wear 'verruca socks' to the pool, to prevent them spreading. I don't remember others laughing a lot but it definitely wasn't something to be proud of.

I was told by the doctor that because the wart lives in the layer of skin just beyond where it can get attacked by white blood cells but just beneath the outer layer, they're very good at hanging around. To get rid of them you basically have to trigger the body to recognise the wart as a virus (which it is). So by causing yourself injury there (ice/acid/whatever) you alert the body to what's going on. I remember hacking away at a plantar wart on my foot with a scalpel!! I thought I could cut it out somehow, but apparently that's not possible as it's a virus?

My doctor also recommended duct tape. He said he thought it starved the virus of oxygen.
#13 - June 14, 2012, 06:05 PM

Poster Plus
I've heard that if you cover the wart with duct tape for a week or so, the wart disappears!

Yep. We've tried this with great success with my son and after months of doc appointments and various traditional treatments.
#14 - June 19, 2012, 04:45 PM
To the Stars! (Charlesbridge)
Aviation: Cool Women Who Fly (Nomad Press)
Eliza Bing Is (Not) A Big, Fat Quitter (Holiday House)

Member.
Poster Plus
I think duct tape might be the answer to everything!

I had a crazy wart appear on my neck (didn't know it was a wart). I kept messing with it and it got bigger and bigger. I finally cut it off with nail clippers. Yeah...I don't really recommend the self-surgery option. Lots of blood and the darn thing still came back. The dermatologist cut it off and biopsied it to be sure it wasn't anything bad. They said if it came again they'd freeze it, but so far so good. If it comes back I'm definitely trying duct tape!
#15 - June 19, 2012, 04:50 PM

Veronica

I recently heard that taping a part of a banana peel over the wart can get rid of it even faster than duct tape. Had a friend whose son had a huge wart that wouldn't go away, even after multiple treatments... but a banana peel got rid of it lickety-split :) - Of course, I haven't tried this myself. I'm just repeating what I heard.
#16 - June 23, 2012, 09:44 AM

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
I remember one of the boys in my class had a lot of warts on his hands and being teased for it and no one wanted to touch his hands. But that was 25+ years ago.

When I was around 12/13, I had a plantar's wart on the bottom of my big toe. It hurt to walk on it. So one day I got fed up with it and dug it out with scissors. It went away after that. Thank goodness!

When he was four or five, my youngest got plantar's warts after taking swimming lessons. We treated them with Compound W and eventually they went away. No experience with warts on their hands, however.

I just quizzed my kids and neither of them remember any kids in their classes having warts either.

Hope that helps!

Rue
#17 - June 23, 2012, 06:16 PM
WIP: ETBs 10687/35000 (30.5%)
WIP: IWWP 12045/35000 (34.4%)

All of my four kids have had warts - mostly planta warts (on the soles of their feet) and I took them to the doctor to be burned off until one doc told me they were a virus and struck when the immune system was low. He also said they do go on their own eventually - his timeline was 2 years.

My brave daughter had one on her finger that we treated successfully by putting crushed garlic on it and taping it there, but it must've really hurt. She didn't complain but I feel bad that we tried it, even tho it was successful.

I stopped taking my kids to have them burned out when my youngest got scared on her hand from the doctor putting way too much liquid nitrogen on it (I think that's what she used.)

They're ugly things and I didn't have much success with over the counter remedies.
#18 - July 04, 2012, 11:15 AM
http://pippa_bayliss.livejournal.com/
Facebook: Pippa Bayliss
Twitter @ PippaBayliss

The kid who had warts on his hands was our classroom bully. So, no one made fun of him or he'd beat them up. With his warty hands. *shudder*

I had several plantar warts that kept coming back until i got athlete's foot as a freshman in college... I think the cure was worse than the warts in that case. Maybe. It's a toss up. Plantar warts are extremely painful to have removed, sometimes. I remember limping around for weeks and weeks when a particularly large one was removed layer by layer when i was in 7th grade. I also had a wart on my knee. When the doctor burned that one, a bunch of little tiny ones burst out all around it. :( It took a year, but they eventually all went away on their own.
#19 - July 05, 2012, 08:41 AM

Members: