SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

journalism college

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
One of my characters wants to be a journalist. Where would be a kid's "dream college" to do that? Let's assume location (as long as it's in the states) doesn't matter.

Thanks! 
#1 - June 19, 2012, 01:37 PM
To the Stars! (Charlesbridge)
Aviation: Cool Women Who Fly (Nomad Press)
Eliza Bing Is (Not) A Big, Fat Quitter (Holiday House)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
I was going to pursue journalism at Columbia.  Turns out it is listed as #1. http://education-portal.com/top_10_journalism_schools.html
#2 - June 19, 2012, 01:42 PM
You're never too old to become younger. - Mae West

University of Missouri at Columbia Missouri.  It has been a very respected J school for a LONG time and still is.    They have special programs for J school students. 
#3 - June 19, 2012, 01:54 PM
Stephanie Theban aka Leeth

http://storiesreademwritem.blogspot.com

Mike Jung

UC Berkeley's J School is also very well regarded (#2 on that list KDuBay linked to).
#4 - June 19, 2012, 02:02 PM

Ah.  And Mizzou is #3. 
#5 - June 19, 2012, 02:45 PM

Also Northwestern.
#6 - June 19, 2012, 03:12 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
I've always heard the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse was one of the top journalism schools.
#7 - June 19, 2012, 04:15 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
UNC, Berkeley, Florida, Maryland are really good. Really depends on the region!
#8 - June 19, 2012, 04:22 PM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I was going to say Columbia too! Maybe NYU?
#9 - June 19, 2012, 05:59 PM

Poster Plus
My son just got his MS from Columbia School of Journalism in May. It is considered the top graduate school for journalism (arguably, of course)...but it sounds like you want an undergrad program.

#10 - June 19, 2012, 06:51 PM

I'm a former journalist... I think the big three are generally considered Columbia, Northwestern and Missouri.
#11 - June 19, 2012, 09:40 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region easternny
It definitely depends on what kind of journalism. Print or broadcast. I've been a broadcast journalist for 20 years and can tell you on the broadcast side Missouri and Newhouse at Syracuse are two of the best. They've kept up with the changes in journalism when it comes to social media better than many other j schools.  When we have job openings we can pretty much count on quality candidates coming out of those programs.
#12 - June 19, 2012, 11:42 PM

stephg, that's good to hear.  My niece is at Mizzou, and wrote (and did photo journalism) for Her Campus, one of their online outlets through her freshman year.
#13 - June 20, 2012, 04:18 AM

Books for Young Readers of All Ages :)
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
All of the schools mentioned are excellent.  Our daughter wanted to be a broadcast journalist (and is one) but also wanted to attend a university that didn't have a journalism major, so she majored in English and interned at networks during semesters and summers and did the university radio show.  There are other options, depending on what happens to your character and what he/she decides to do or can/cannot do. :)
Aloha,
Tori :palmtree
#14 - June 20, 2012, 12:37 PM
CALVIN'S LAST WORD, Tilbury House 2021
LITTLE CALABASH, Island Heritage 2020
SECRETS IN TRANSLATION, Fitzroy, 2018
and 28 more..
@ipapaverison

AdamV

Midwesterners would automatically think of Mizzou (though you mentioned location doesn't matter). I couldn't have even named another J-school until recently.
#15 - June 20, 2012, 12:53 PM
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 06:28 AM by AdamV »

Veronica

I've heard the journalism school at Northwestern is really good.
#16 - June 23, 2012, 09:31 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
Definitely think about whether the character wants to be a journalism major and check to make sure the dream college has that major for undergrads.  This is the link the the Columbia undergrad majors, and it doesn't look as if it's listed unless it's somehow embedded in one of these (many, many) other majors. http://www.studentaffairs.columbia.edu/admissions/college/areas.php
#17 - July 16, 2012, 04:01 PM
Ann Redisch Stampler

www.annstampler.blogspot.com
www.annstampler.com
@annstampler

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
You may also may want to consider your character's preferred learning style, aspirations. Of the top three, Columbia is a grad-school experience. Northwestern, I understand, is more theory-based. University of Missouri uses more hand's-on, real world experience (dubbed the Missouri Method). Syracuse and USC are especially noted for broadcast journalism.

If you have any specific questions about Mizzou, feel free to ask. I'm a J-School grad and still have ties to the school.
#18 - July 16, 2012, 08:07 PM
Jody Feldman
The Seventh Level
The Gollywhopper Games series
HarperCollins/Greenwillow
www.jodyfeldman.com
Twitter @jodyfeldman

Members: