SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Acceptance to Yale--letter, email, phone call?

Discussion started on

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
I've been trying to find out how students hear about getting accepted to college, Yale specifically. I've seen different things on the internet, so I'm still not sure.

Does anyone know anyone who got accepted at Yale this year and how he/she found out?

Thanks!
#1 - July 12, 2012, 05:54 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
#2 - July 12, 2012, 06:08 PM
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA series (Disney-Hyperion)
SUNNY'S TOW TRUCK SAVES THE DAY (Abrams)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Wow - not as much fun as waiting for the envelope!
#3 - July 12, 2012, 07:49 PM
Robin

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Thanks! Definitely not as much fun as the envelope. I did read about some students getting phone calls. Maybe those were confirmations or something.

Now to rewrite that getting-accepted scene!  :) :grin
#4 - July 12, 2012, 08:14 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
Go to www.collegeconfidential.com and click on the Yale section.  You will find admitted students threads from last year that should give you tons of info, and you can also post questions.
#5 - July 16, 2012, 03:48 PM
Ann Redisch Stampler

www.annstampler.blogspot.com
www.annstampler.com
@annstampler

I think some highly sought after students may get calls before the reply deadline, giving them advance notice and trying to persuade them to come. At least, Harvard was doing that as of a few years back. I can't confirm it for Yale, but like AnnS said, the College Confidential site is a great source.
#6 - July 16, 2012, 04:24 PM

Most schools have a login on the school site. Students know in advance at what time they can log in and enter their password (login#). A letter addressed to the student would be opened after the student pressed submit. The times varied by school as well. Some were three in the afternoon, while others were later. My daughter's top choice was 9pm!

The college confidential site is a great link(as AnnS and LeslieG suggested)! It will tell you how the school handled this year's applications and the students will answer your questions.

#7 - July 16, 2012, 04:28 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
One of my son's friends was accepted Early Action to Yale and will attend this fall. His mom is a good friend of mine. I'm sure he'd be happy to talk to you if you'd like. PM me if you want me to reach out for you.
#8 - July 17, 2012, 01:55 PM

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Thanks again, everyone! The links I checked showed that regular decisions for freshman applicants are posted online.  :thankyou :hearts :star2
#9 - July 18, 2012, 12:50 PM

Members: