SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

How does your preschooler "help" you?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
I'm looking for funny ways preschoolers "help," which result in bigger messes/problems for their parents or other adults.  Like when they put doll clothes on the cat because she's cold... :uhuh  :)

Thanks in advance!
#1 - June 25, 2012, 11:01 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Member.
Poster Plus
My preschooler bursts loudly into the baby's room *just* as he's finally, finally, FINALLY falling asleep. He wants to "help" put his baby brother to bed, of course! Aaaaargh!!!
#2 - June 25, 2012, 12:41 PM

Mine used to take off all the baby's clothes and then run around squealing, "Naked baby, naked baby." When I tried to discourage that, I was informed the baby was hot :)
#3 - June 25, 2012, 12:45 PM

CaroleB

My granddaughter made her bedroom pretty with magic markers. No kidding. She also made herself pretty with magic markers.  Guess she thought things weren't pretty enough so wanted to help.
#4 - June 25, 2012, 12:50 PM

My almost two year old "helps" by handing you things you don't want. He also likes to answer the phone.
#5 - June 25, 2012, 12:58 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
When a toddler really wants to sweep, so he brings dirt from the garden into the house, dumps it out on the kitchen floor and begins to sweep. 

Said toddler wants to clean the cheese on the carpet and ends up grounding it into the carpet.

Ah, fun days ... now they talk back.
Vijaya
#6 - June 25, 2012, 01:00 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

My two year old likes to help mix her oatmeal before it goes into the microwave. Half of it splashes onto the counter!  :biggrin:
#7 - June 25, 2012, 01:41 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
um, once when my preschooler was sick and had made a *mess* on the kitchen floor, I turned my back to grab paper towels, and he grabbed one of daddy's clean shirts from the hamper and got to it first.

I've never told dad which shirt it was...
#8 - June 25, 2012, 01:48 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Ha!  These are perfect!  More, more!
#9 - June 25, 2012, 01:49 PM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

GraceRouth

"Washing" freshly cleaned windows with a wet rag, picking up spilled pet food by eating it, watering plants to death, or spraying them down with such force that the stalks break off, throwing clean, folded laundry back into the washing machine, throwing anything and everything in the trash (keys, remotes, phones....), hand washing in the potty (but I used soap, mom!)

This is such a fun research question! I'll post more if I think of them...or as they happen! Never a dull moment at my house!
#10 - June 26, 2012, 09:16 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
HAHA Grace! I also caught my preschooler helping to wash the windows, with spit and a used baby wipe...(um, used to wipe hands, not the other!)
#11 - June 26, 2012, 09:18 AM

@cynmarko

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
I remember my eldest "helping" make his brother breakfast and an entire jug of milk spilling all over the kitchen floor (and under the fridge).

I seem to also recall an incident where he helped "clean" the bathroom. I think liquid hand soap was involved.

My youngest always seemed to want to help me cook. Fortunately, we didn't have too many mishaps there. A broken dish or two. An egg on the floor. But I bet you could come up with some pretty crazy scenarios there.

Hope that helps!

Rue
#12 - June 26, 2012, 10:07 AM
WIP: ETBs 10687/35000 (30.5%)
WIP: IWWP 12045/35000 (34.4%)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region northtexas
My oldest daughter at age three liked to play with stuff from  the cupboards while I washed the  dishes. She was clanging the pots and pans and  taking soup cans out of the rotating pantry.  All seemed well. Since I had a newborn also at the time, I was pretty sleep deprived. Then I realized, "Did I just see her take the chocolate syrup down the hallway?"  Yep.  She had a cooking pot on her new bedspread, and several unopened soup cans lined up.  She was squeezing the syrup and it was squirting everywhere.  She told me, "I making food." 
#13 - June 26, 2012, 11:03 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
Mine liked to close the refrigerator on me. I'd grab something out, put it on the counter, turn back to grab something else and...bam! He did help cure me of that bad habit. I now close the door every time, even if I'm coming right back.  :)
#14 - June 26, 2012, 11:06 AM

Mine likes to help "clean" her toys.  She fills the sink full of water, gets the nearest roll of toilet paper to use as a rag, and goes to town.  Oh, and yep, that's the ENTIRE roll of toilet paper she dunks in the sink.
#15 - June 26, 2012, 12:02 PM

My toddler nephews like to help me take care of my garden by "watering" (read: drowning) my potted plants.
#16 - June 26, 2012, 12:39 PM
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 12:50 PM by ChristineCA »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
 :lol2  These are awesome, everyone.  Thanks for playing!
#17 - June 26, 2012, 03:06 PM
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Veronica

When my son was a toddler, he liked to "help" clean the kitchen. I couldn't figure out why I could never find the dishes I wanted until I caught him one day taking clean dishes out of the cabinets and putting them in the bottom of the trash can!! (Yes, we installed cabinet locks!)
#18 - June 27, 2012, 05:19 PM

xC0000005

Refilling the aquarium when the water got low.  With milk. 
Making a scrap book by cutting up the only wedding pictures. 
Mistaking her grandfather's ashes for volcano ash and taking them to show and tell.
#19 - June 27, 2012, 05:25 PM

My two-year-old used to go off and "change" her own poopy diapers. Not pretty. She's also very enthusiastic about "helping" break eggs into cookie dough or pancake batter, which can be a bit disastrous.
#20 - June 27, 2012, 06:33 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
These are funny!

Mine helps "fold" the laundry -- basically by unfolding everything I've already folded.
#21 - June 27, 2012, 07:31 PM
www.carriefinison.com
DOZENS OF DOUGHNUTS - Putnam (coming in 2020)

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
haha Karen, I've had that happen too!

Anybody else have problems with them using diaper contents for fingerpainting on the walls??  :faint
#22 - June 27, 2012, 07:39 PM

@cynmarko

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
OMG, xC0000005! You just reminded me of another thing the eldest did to help: feed the fish in our fish tank the ENTIRE container of fish food. Needless to say, we had a few casualties.

:slaphead:

Rue
#23 - June 27, 2012, 07:45 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
My toddlers also "helped" with the pets by over filling the water bowls, feeding them strange things, and taking the cat for a walk by dragging it along on a leash. The last one only happened once and not for long. We put the leash out of reach after the "walk".
#24 - June 27, 2012, 07:46 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Rue, we must have been thinking along the same lines at the same time. :)
#25 - June 27, 2012, 07:47 PM

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
Hahaha! Yup!

Oh man, I can just imagine the scene with the poor kitty being dragged along on a leash. :cat

Rue
#26 - June 27, 2012, 07:59 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
My daughter seemed to think it was her daily chore to pull down all the towels off the towel racks in the bathroom.  I'd hang them back up, she'd pull them back down.
#27 - June 27, 2012, 08:10 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
Awful waffles,

Mine did that too! I'd totally forgotten. The kitchen towel was NOT allowed to hang on the oven handle. Hang up. Pull down. Repeat a thousand times a day.
#28 - June 27, 2012, 08:38 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Refilling the aquarium when the water got low.  With milk. 
Making a scrap book by cutting up the only wedding pictures. 
Mistaking her grandfather's ashes for volcano ash and taking them to show and tell.

NOOOOOOO!!!! The only way this toddler can redeem herself is if you write a PB about it.
Vijaya
#29 - June 28, 2012, 06:27 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
These are hysterical!   :flowers2
#30 - June 28, 2012, 09:25 AM
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Members: