SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Need expert editorial sources for “publishing in classroom magazines” article

Discussion started on

kswarts

I am on freelance assignment to The Writer’s Bookstore (http://www.writersbookstore.com/), to create a piece on “classroom magazines” for their 2013 Magazine Markets for Children’s Writers. The piece will need comment (to be gathered by e-interview) from about half a dozen editors with experience in that topic area.

Whom can you recommend I contact? I have already asked most of my direct network, and what “classroom magazines” I could find editorial addresses for, to very little response. And I really need to collect an article’s worth of material within the next couple of weeks.

Thank you,
Katherine Swarts

E-INTERVIEW
1.   What sorts of magazines are most popular in classrooms these days? What percentage of material used is fiction? What percentage is puzzles and other fillers?
2.   What differentiates a “classroom magazine” from a “trade magazine”? Are there any crossovers?
3.   What topics are most popular in classroom magazines? What topics would editors like to see more of?
4.   How do you think the e-publishing revolution has affected/will affect the use of magazines in the classroom? How has the economy affected it?
5.   What is your best piece of advice for the author wanting to write for a classroom magazine?
#1 - June 26, 2012, 06:33 AM

Members: