SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Ed Hardy? Other fashions . . .

Discussion started on

jeffman

So I live out in the sticks. My 15-yr-old D has an eclectic clothing style that's sort of weird for around here. My wife teaches high school and I teach community college, so we have a good idea what's in "around here."

Anyway, my kid likes Ed Hardy stuff, which of course she buys used.

In the real world, where does Ed Hardy fit in terms of 'popularity' and chic and so on?

TIA
#1 - July 08, 2012, 10:29 PM

I'm in Western NC outside of Asheville, also rural. I don't think anyone wears Ed Hardy around here. (a skateboard guy?)

Fox Racing stuff is very popular as is that Bonehunter guy from the hunting channel. Ambercrombie is still big, Forever 21 for the girls. The "popular" boys are into skinny jeans and close cut V-neck T's. Tom's shoes are big. UnderArmor stuff for the sports folks.

I'm not sure how real world my school is, but I'd say Ed Hardy wouldn't even get noticed. Unless someone was specifically attracted to the style.
#2 - July 09, 2012, 04:40 AM
J.Ro
NO PLACE TO FALL (Harper Teen, 2014)
www.jayerobinbrown.blogspot.com
www.jayerobinbrown.com

Chicklit

Where I live, Ed Hardy is popular among a certain population of the 20s-30s crowd. I haven't seen it on teens much.

My 16, almost 17, year old niece is very into sparkly TOMS and American Eagle in addition to the brands J.Ro mentioned.
#3 - July 09, 2012, 06:18 AM

I'm on the coast of NC, on the other end of the state from J.Ro.  I was very surprised at the fashion differences when I moved here (we were living in the middle of the state).  I taught community college in both places, and there is definitely more of a beachy feel here, with many kids wearing shorts all year, flip flops to school, what looks like their bathing suits to school, etc.  I also noticed that there were more name-brand things at this new school, which has a much larger, wealthier clientele, on the whole (though really--it serves the community at large, the community in my old town was just more empoverished/rural).

When I got here, I thought X (some name I can't remember right now) was the name of a local school--it turned out to be the name of a surf-board-clothing company.  So many young people had it on their sweatshirts, I finally asked one of them.

On the whole, though, Ed Hardy stuff wouldn't be blinked at.  (Neither would it be considered particularly fashionable among ALL the kids, though.)  I mean, there's such a wide range of students, they don't blink at anything, even things I blink at.  Like the whole hoodie/pajama pants/flip flops outfit for girls.  What's up with THAT?  Or really high heels with shorts??  These are the folks who stick out to me, among all the Abercrombie or whatever.  The majority of the kids seem to wear whatever they found (some t-shirt from some event, jeans) or dress like they want to be extras on One Tree Hill/Dawson's Creek/Nicholas Sparks movies, which are filmed here.

I think Ed Hardy here would be considered--forgive me--sort of redneck chic.  Expensive stuff that a certain type of young person likes--the kind who wishes themself a rebellious motorcycle type (but with class!) and wants to show the world they are both kind of tough and cool.  But honestly, I don't think I've seen it all that often.  I've seen a couple people ask about it on Craigslist, wanting to buy used Ed Hardy, and I've seen it in stores that sell brand-names-for-less like TJ Maxx and Marshalls, etc.
#4 - July 09, 2012, 06:51 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
I don't see much Ed Hardy stuff anymore. I'm on the west coast, if that helps.
#5 - July 09, 2012, 12:02 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Jaina, I bet you're talking about Hollister because I remember thinking about that too!

In NJ/Philly, Ed Hardy peaked I think among people in their 20s a year or two ago -- haven't seen it much this summer, or maybe the style has changed so I'm seeing the brand but it looks different.
#6 - July 09, 2012, 12:13 PM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Yes, Hollister!  I thought it was a local private school or something.

Ditto on the Ed Hardy thing--it was maybe three or four years ago when I saw it spoken of.
#7 - July 09, 2012, 02:09 PM

jeffman

Thanks, gang. Altogether I think you're describing the kind of girl I have in mind. Slightly edgy, not afraid to be a few years out of style if she really likes something, mature for her age. . .
#8 - July 09, 2012, 02:38 PM

Members: