SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

PA and Washington newspapers

Discussion started on

Does anyone know the main newspapers in PA and Washington state?

Thanks!

Kim Baccellia
#1 - July 12, 2012, 07:41 PM
NO MORE GODDESSES:
http://www.zumayapublications.com
EARRINGS OF IXTUMEA: http://museituppublishing.com
CROSSED OUT:http://www.lachesispublishing.com

xC0000005

In Seattle, it's the Seattle Times.  Can't speak for the western half of the state, but the times is the last man standing in this area.
#2 - July 12, 2012, 08:32 PM

GraceRouth

In eastern Washington (like Spokane & inland NW) it's the Spokesman Review.
#3 - July 12, 2012, 08:34 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Well, Philly is the Inquirer, or Daily News second. Allentown is the Morning Call. Pittsburgh is the Post-Gazette.
#4 - July 12, 2012, 08:51 PM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region epa
There is also the Seattle Post-Intelligencer but I am guessing the Times would have more readership, and the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, which I like better than the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. (not sure if one has more readership than the other)

I think the Philly Daily News is a distant second to the Philadelphia Inquirer.
#5 - July 14, 2012, 12:41 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
There is also the Seattle Post-Intelligencer but I am guessing the Times would have more readership...

The PI was bought out by the Times a couple of years ago and if they're even still publishing, it's skeletal and run by the Times. Everyone I know reads the Times. The Tacoma Tribune is a reasonably good-sized paper, too (in terms of ciruclation), and there are of course others throughout western WA that are pretty sizable, but the Times is definitely the big one.
#6 - July 14, 2012, 01:18 PM
The Farwalker Trilogy
The Humming of Numbers
Reality Leak

www.jonisensel.com

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
The Philly Daily News and Inquirer are owned by the same company -- Daily News is a tabloid, Inky a broadsheet and the top paper. PDN is weekday only too...
#7 - July 14, 2012, 02:47 PM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wpa
Not sure whether it matters to your story, but in Pittsburgh, the Post-Gazette is much longer established and has a bigger circulation than the Tribune-Review.

#8 - July 14, 2012, 07:47 PM

Not sure whether it matters to your story, but in Pittsburgh, the Post-Gazette is much longer established and has a bigger circulation than the Tribune-Review.

I don't know why but I always thought of the Trib as a Greensburg paper and not really a Pittsburgh paper. That was always my impression and I'm sure it's not the case but I always saw it as lesser-than the Post Gazette.

Oh. See how easy it is to forget these things. I had forgotten all about this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_Tribune-Review I even forgot about the Pittsburgh Press.
#9 - July 15, 2012, 06:40 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region epa
For my day job I have to check newspapers on the west coast and the mid-atlantic states for any stories about Commercial Real Estate or CMBS. The Seattle PI is still in business, as I check it, but the Seattle Times is the larger. I think the Tribune-Review is giving the Post-Gazette a run for its money in Pittsburgh. I more frequently see info in the TR than in the PG.

Of course, there are all the business journals if for some reason what you need is business related. The Puget Sound Business Journal and the Pittsburgh Business Times. They are partially subscription-only sites. (some stories are free, some are not)
#10 - July 15, 2012, 03:28 PM

Members: