SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

How much can your mid-teen boy bench press?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Do any of you have a smaller-than-average teen boy (age 14 to 16 or so) who has tried weightlifting? How much can he lift?

I'm most interested in knowing what a really scrawny kid could reasonably bench press on free weights, assuming he's been working on it a while.

#1 - July 14, 2012, 02:34 PM
Twitter: @MelissaKoosmann

My almost 15 year old weighs 110 lbs and can bench press about 95 lbs with decent form. He is about 5'5" small, thin build, going into his sophomore year and usually is mistaken for an 8th grader. I don't think he looks that small, but he says he is much smaller than most kids his age. His same aged friend who is also a thinner build, weighs 135, can bench 150 and is about 5'9." Most kids with a similar build as as the almost 15 year old but taller and of the same age group can bench around 110 according to my almost 17 year old very strong son who is about 5'7" weighs 155 and can bench 225 lbs. (for comparison) and who provided all of this data.
#2 - July 14, 2012, 04:19 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Just asked my 20-year-old and he said when he was around 15 he could bench press around 150 or 160. He wasn't scrawny, but he wasn't muscular, either, although he was strong. He was around 6'1 at that time. That's definitely not smaller than average, but it might help to know a range.
#3 - July 14, 2012, 04:36 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Thanks!
#4 - July 18, 2012, 07:57 AM

I don't know about boys, but in case you want him to be beaten by a girl :embarrassed2, my 15-year-old daughter said her team works between 125-145 lbs.
#5 - July 18, 2012, 08:53 AM

My data was from the boys soccer team (my older son is on the team). They tend to be a bit smaller compared to basketball players and football players and often don't see the benefit to the weightlifting as much for their sport as some of the other teams. My older son got into weightlifting when he injured his knee and was not allowed to play for 9 months. He was allowed to do weightlifting and straight-line running earlier than other training activities that required direction changes so he focused on what he was allowed to do. Younger son is not very interested in it. I don't know what the football team benches.
#6 - July 18, 2012, 10:46 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
You all were helpful when I asked about this the last time, but now my character has fallen in age from 15 to 13.

Can anybody tell me how much a scrawny 13-year-old boy might bench? He's very small for his age. He gets mistaken for a lost younger sibling at school dances...
#7 - December 04, 2012, 01:46 PM

Members: