SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Retro children's/teen books in MOONRISE KINGDOM

Discussion started on

So I saw Wes Anderson's MOONRISE KINGDOM yesterday and one of my favorite parts of the movie was the 1960s children's fantasy books the mc read. I googled and found out they were not real books -- he hired artists to make these wonderful covers and he wrote the excerpts. But they got me totally intrigued about children's fantasy of the 50s, 60s and 70s. I guess this would be the WRINKLE IN TIME era. Does anyone have book recommedations -- either of children's lit of that time period, or even a book about the children's books of that era? Or resources to find books of that era (as I imagine many gems are sadly out of print)? I am so fascinated now! Thanks for any tips.
#1 - July 16, 2012, 04:03 PM

Wes Anderson is weirdly brilliant, isn't he? I saw an article where he mentioned Madeleine L'Engle and Susan Cooper as inspirations. Also Huck Finn.

I was a child of the 60s, and some of my favorite fantasy books were Half-Magic, Carbonel, King of the Cats, Tatsinda, the Danny Dunn series, The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet, L. Frank Baum's Oz books, Bedknob and Broomstick, Five Children and It, James and the Giant Peach, and The Witch Family. There were many others, but those are a few that sprang to mind.

Here's an awesome little film/trailer highlighting the fictitious books: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jNc7HuatHQ
#2 - July 16, 2012, 05:46 PM

mclicious
Poster Plus
I want all of those books to be real! I'm doing a middle grade SFF project for class, so I should have some recommendations for you in about a week :-)
#3 - July 16, 2012, 07:13 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Ruth, thanks for posting that trailer!  Looks like a gem of a movie.
#4 - July 16, 2012, 08:50 PM

Ruth -- thank you so much for the book recommendations and the link to the trailer. I can't wait to explore some of those titles, all of which were new to me except the Baum and Dahl books. With titles like "The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet," how can I resist? Thank you again!

Hannah--I'd love to hear your recommendations later!

Awful Waffles--It's a fun movie, I recommend it!
#5 - July 17, 2012, 11:08 AM

I looooved the retro book covers in that film.....reminded me of Zilpha Keatley Snyder.
#6 - July 17, 2012, 01:00 PM
MORE THAN GOOD ENOUGH / Flux (2014)
NARC / Flux
TOTAL CONSTANT ORDER / HarperTeen

http://www.crissajeanchappell.com

Crissa--oooh! I did not know about Zilpha Keatley Snyder either but just looked her up. Looks great!
#7 - July 17, 2012, 02:23 PM

I loved Zilpha Keatley Snyder when I was growing up. I also loved Lloyd Alexander and Joan Aikin. However, my favorite book was called Taash and the Jesters, and you can't find it anywhere. My school library must have been the only ones to buy it.
#8 - July 17, 2012, 02:35 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region northtexas
#9 - July 17, 2012, 02:43 PM

All of these titles are making me want to start a thread on what everyone's favorite books were as children. I love hearing all of your book memories! Okay I am going to figure out if such a thread already exists and if not I'll start one later.
#10 - July 17, 2012, 02:52 PM

Thanks, Scribblegirl, I'd seen the $200 price tag before, but I didn't know people were selling it second hand.
#11 - July 17, 2012, 03:36 PM

terri
Member.
Poster Plus
I loved Half Magic, and I loved reading it my daughter!
#12 - October 17, 2012, 06:56 PM

Members: