SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Do people say couch or sofa in California?

Discussion started on

What do you California folk call that thing in your living room? Couch or sofa? Thanks!
#1 - July 19, 2012, 02:24 PM
Twitter: @ KarenBlyToo

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
We always said "couch" as I was growing up (in California).  But some of my friends said "sofa."  I'd say both--50/50.
#2 - July 19, 2012, 02:30 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Poster Plus
Does anybody anywhere say davenport?  That's what my mother called it when we were growing up.
#3 - July 19, 2012, 02:44 PM
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
My grandma (in WI) called it the davenport. My mom and dad tended to say sofa, and for me, DH, and kids, it's the couch. But I do think furniture stores tend to say sofa, as in "sofa and loveseat." So it's possible that era and usage might matter, as well as locale.
#4 - July 19, 2012, 02:49 PM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region easternny
I grew up in california and we say "couch" and "sofa" 50/50.

(I never heard "davenport" or "chesterfield" till I grew up and met a canadian, however.)
#5 - July 19, 2012, 02:53 PM
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 09:06 PM by literaticat »
twitter: @literaticat
ask the agent: http://literaticat.tumblr.com/ask

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
I had a friend with upper class ambitions.  Her family said "davenport." (In California.)  With everybody else it was sofa or couch.
#6 - July 19, 2012, 03:01 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Ravyn2002

I agree that it's pretty much 50/50. I've lived in California most of my life and have heard both 'couch' and 'sofa'. I mostly use couch myself, unless I happen to be referring to a sofa bed.
#7 - July 19, 2012, 03:08 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
I'm a native Californian and my family says couch, although sofa is also common. I think davenport is kind of dated. I did hear it when I was growing up (mostly from older people), but I never hear it now.

Laurel
#8 - July 19, 2012, 03:17 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
It was davenport when I was growing up in Ohio. I think Davenport was a company that made comfortable bench seating and the word came to be used generically. Our family uses couch and sofa interchangeably, except nobody ever refers to a couch bed!
#9 - July 19, 2012, 03:28 PM

Another native Californian here... I'd say couch slightly more than sofa, but either works.
(Davenport, no.)
#10 - July 19, 2012, 03:31 PM

Poster Plus
Yep. My mother was from Ohio -- I googled and found out what Anne mentioned above. That 'splanes it.
#11 - July 19, 2012, 03:34 PM
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

sofa here.
#12 - July 19, 2012, 03:47 PM
Silver Phoenix (Greenwillow: 4/28/09)
Fury of the Phoenix (Greenwillow: 3/30/11)
Serpentine (Month9Books: 9/1/15)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
I grew up in California and we said "couch," but sofa was certainly not uncommon. 
#13 - July 19, 2012, 05:17 PM
Ten Clever Ninjas (picture book, Clear Fork Publishing, 2019)
Butterfly Girl (middle grade novel, Clear Fork Publishing, 2019)

Twitter: @kidlitSarah

Ditto on slightly favoring "couch," from a former Californian.
#14 - July 19, 2012, 05:20 PM

addicted to YA
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL
Well, I am not a Californian... but I remember on the old Dean Martin show (which was probably filmed in CA  :laugh ) He'd always say, "I'm gonna go to the couch now..."
#15 - July 19, 2012, 05:29 PM
XVI, Puffin/Speak, available now
Truth, Puffin/Speak, January 2012
http://juliakarr.com

thanks, all! We were about 50/50 couch/sofa in New Jersey, but just wanted to check on the other Coast for my novel.
#16 - July 19, 2012, 05:32 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Here's another vote from the Californian sitting next to me on that piece of furniture for either one.
#17 - July 19, 2012, 06:43 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
Our family always said couch.
#18 - July 19, 2012, 07:22 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
No one says chesterfield?! lol, maybe that's a Canadian word.  :)
#19 - July 19, 2012, 07:52 PM
www.sharigreen.com  

MACY MCMILLAN AND THE RAINBOW GODDESS (2017) | ROOT BEER CANDY AND OTHER MIRACLES (2016) | FOLLOWING CHELSEA (2014)

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
Pretty sure chesterfield is a Canadian thing. :)

Rue
#20 - July 19, 2012, 10:18 PM
WIP: ETBs 10687/35000 (30.5%)
WIP: IWWP 12045/35000 (34.4%)

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Re couch being a CA thing: it's true. Hollywood doesn't have casting sofas or casting Davenports.
#21 - July 20, 2012, 09:55 AM

AdamV

I never knew what the line "a nice chesterfield or an ottoman" meant in "If I Had a Million Dollars" by the Barenaked Ladies. I can't believe it was a couch this whole time!
#22 - July 20, 2012, 11:28 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I never knew what the line "a nice chesterfield or an ottoman" meant in "If I Had a Million Dollars" by the Barenaked Ladies. I can't believe it was a couch this whole time!

LOL!
#23 - July 20, 2012, 11:30 AM
www.sharigreen.com  

MACY MCMILLAN AND THE RAINBOW GODDESS (2017) | ROOT BEER CANDY AND OTHER MIRACLES (2016) | FOLLOWING CHELSEA (2014)

Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust
Poster Plus
This cracks me up! We usually said couch, but sofa was a close second, and on occasion my mom (born in the 40's) would slip and say chesterfield. I wonder if this was because my great-grandmother came from Canada? Has it been used as such for a long time? I guess I'm finally understanding why my mom used some of the words she did!  :hahaha
#24 - July 20, 2012, 12:00 PM

All this time I thought a Chesterfield was a car in that song, AdamV! That solves that puzzling lyric.
#25 - July 20, 2012, 03:23 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I grew up with it being a "chesterfield", but actually usually say "couch" now. Maybe even in Canada it's fading from use? (except for  BNL lyrics, that is!)
#26 - July 20, 2012, 03:37 PM
www.sharigreen.com  

I'm Californian (born and still living here), and as others have said, I say both sofa and couch, interchangeably.

Maybe I'm a little more likely to say sofa when referring to a slightly more formal piece of furniture in the living room, and couch when referring to what's in the den. Never heard of a davenport or a chesterfield (but they sound fun!).

Not to add any confusion, but I am from Los Angeles. I don't know what they say in other parts of CA. Where is your character from?
#27 - July 20, 2012, 03:56 PM

Christine, MC is from L.A.

I thought BNL were singing, "A nice Chesterfield or an automobile." You know how your brain tries to make sense out of puzzling lyrics and you just sing along?
#28 - July 20, 2012, 06:04 PM

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
And now I've got the Barenaked Ladies stuck in my head.

Shari, yeah, we used to use chesterfield a lot more when I was a kid (along with packsack instead of backpack and thongs to mean flipflops among others.) Now we usually say couch. Rarely sofa, though. Sofa sounds stodgy to me. ;)

Rue
#29 - July 20, 2012, 07:07 PM
WIP: ETBs 10687/35000 (30.5%)
WIP: IWWP 12045/35000 (34.4%)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
Definitely couch...altho I've heard the other terms, too.
#30 - July 21, 2012, 06:42 AM
Author of SNOW DOG, SAND DOG, THE SEER, DEAD GIRL, CURIOUS CAT SPY CLUB & in 2016: CA$H KAT
www.LindaJoySingleton.com
twitter.com/LindaJoySinglet

Members: