SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Trash? Garbage? Rubbish?

Discussion started on

Riss

I'm trying to figure it out, do Americans ever say rubbish bin?

Or do they just say garbage bins? Or is there some other terminology used like waste disposal (okay, that's a bit fancy)?

I know it's common in movies to hear 'don't forget to take out the trash', but what does everyone else call the actual bins?
#1 - July 20, 2012, 10:03 AM

I'm from NJ and we say trash. My dh from Illinois calls it garbage. I think rubbish is a British term. We don't say bin either. It's trash can (even if it's plastic and not truly a can)
#2 - July 20, 2012, 10:05 AM
Twitter: @ KarenBlyToo

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I only hear trash can and garbage can.  And you might hear just "Put it in the trash" without any kind of container reference.  Also trash and garbage are different.  Trash is mostly paper and other unyucky stuff from around the house, and garbage includes the kitchen messes.

I do hear "recycling bin," but those are a completely different thing.
#3 - July 20, 2012, 10:09 AM
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA series (Disney-Hyperion)
SUNNY'S TOW TRUCK SAVES THE DAY (Abrams)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
In the US Midwest we talk about something being a load of rubbish, but the actual stuff is either trash or garbage in both Ohio and Wisconsin.

Garbage often has a wetter, smellier connotation than trash, which I think of as containing a higher ratio of  paper/cardboard litter or plastic/metal scrap to food waste/disposable diapers!

Trash is also used to describe ancestry/upbringing/behavior/social class but we won't go there.
#4 - July 20, 2012, 10:15 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
In the greater Milwaukee area, we say garbage cart and recycling cart, but recycling bin for the holding area for cans and milk jugs inside the house.
#5 - July 20, 2012, 10:16 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Anne Marie and I posted our garbage-trash distinctions at the same time! Now ask us about stream/brook/creek/run/branch!
#6 - July 20, 2012, 10:18 AM

Poster Plus
In my house the words garbage and trash are interchangeable. The big green thing on wheels outside is the "garbage can" or "garbage cart."
There is also an equally large blue cart outside for recyclables. The recycling BIN is the smaller green plastic tub that stays in the house.
All of these things are furnished by the city garbage service.

We do not have to separate our recyclables --- everything recyclable goes in the big blue thing .. which I sometimes call the "bucket" even though it's the traditional
cart on wheels.

We used to set the bin out once a week. Then our city switched to the blue cart, and they only pick up recycling bi-weekly. Trash is picked up once a week.

It's garbage day. That's why I felt compelled to give you such detailed explanations of my garbage. :)
#7 - July 20, 2012, 10:26 AM
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I hear garbage and trash. Also, it's a "barrel" not a can, when it's at a school or something and the receptacle is a larger sort.

Mostly, we just say "put it in the garbage" or "put it in the recycling" without specifying what the container is.
#8 - July 20, 2012, 10:41 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
What Anne Marie said--and she and I are on opposite sides of the country.

Technically garbage consists mostly of stuff like orange peels, fruit rinds, and eggshells.  Trash containes tin cans, paper, cardboard, that kind of thing.  But most of us are pretty "sloppy" (pun intended) with the way we use the terms--they're pretty interchageable.
#9 - July 20, 2012, 10:43 AM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
In Philadelphia we say trash can more, garbage can less, and you might say waste bin if you were talking about a small trash can, like under your desk. For recycling, it would be a recycling bin. No carts used in my area.

I think of garbage as being compostable stuff, trash being more "clean," noncompostable, nonrecyclable stuff.

#10 - July 20, 2012, 10:58 AM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

addicted to YA
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
  • SCBWI PAL
Trash can, garbage can, recycle bin...

Rubbish is mostly a "load of" and it refers to talk (not trash) - unless it's trash talk...

Clear as mud - right? :moose
#11 - July 20, 2012, 11:04 AM
XVI, Puffin/Speak, available now
Truth, Puffin/Speak, January 2012
http://juliakarr.com

Poster Plus
Tin cans, paper, cardboard, plastic bags, plastic containers, other metals, .. are all recyclables where I live.  Our city does not pick up glass though.
So pretty much outside of glass everything in our trash is garbage. :)

Also where I live we have Recycle Bank --- you get points according to how many pounds the city picks up on each service date. There's a microchip in each recycling cart to record this.  The points can
be redeemed for stuff. I've gotten hefty coupons, free food, and free magazine subscriptions with my points.
#12 - July 20, 2012, 11:08 AM
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

Hi FJ li,

I agree with the others -- I usually call it a trash can. The only items I call bins are: recycling bins (we also call them blue bins) indoors or outdoors; or the large trash bins that we keep outside and that the city picks up each week. I never refer to an indoor trashcan as a bin. I had never heard of a rubbish bin until I read Harry Potter. :)

#13 - July 20, 2012, 04:06 PM

Rubbish sounds very British to me.
We have trash cans or garbage cans (even if it's not really a can shape) and recycle bins...
#14 - July 20, 2012, 04:10 PM
Robin

Books for Young Readers of All Ages :)
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
In Hawaii, it's "rubbish can."
In Minnesota, it's trash can.
In California, it's garbage can or trash can.  Or, where we live, some say, "basura!"
Aloha,
Tori :palmtree
#15 - July 20, 2012, 05:32 PM
CALVIN'S LAST WORD, Tilbury House 2021
LITTLE CALABASH, Island Heritage 2020
SECRETS IN TRANSLATION, Fitzroy, 2018
and 28 more..
@ipapaverison

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
I've got some odd looks for suggesting people throw something 'in the bin.' From my experience here, bins are for keeping things you want to keep (ie a clothes bin, or a toy bin).

I still say rubbish bin at home, though. But I do make an effort to speak American when I'm with them!  :)
#16 - July 20, 2012, 05:51 PM

I say trash can or garbage can but my husband is Jamaican (speaks British English or Jamaican patios) and says rubbish bin. The kids will say both at home depending on who they are talking to but I doubt they'd ever call it rubbish at school or other people's houses.

Rubbish sounds so much nicer, though. I like it.

#17 - July 20, 2012, 06:08 PM

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
If you sort out things like banana peels, potato peelings, egg shells, etc.  I can complicate and say those go on the compost pile.  :)

Garbage and Trash Can are probably interchangeable here in Indiana.  My parents actually put there garbage (anything from the kitchen that would begin to stink) in a small garbage can in the garage.  On Trash day, every thing is rounded up and goes in the big garbage or trash can (the ones on wheels that is pulled out to the street.  Recycling is in the same sort of container at their place.

Her I have the same sort of trash can, but my recycling goes in small bins Cans/plastic one week and cardboard paper the next week.  I am not sure why as the haul it down to a place where it is all dumped together.   
#18 - July 20, 2012, 06:52 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
Rubbish is most decidedly an English term. To my knowledge it's not even used here in Canada.

Hope that helps!

Rue
#19 - July 20, 2012, 07:03 PM
WIP: ETBs 10687/35000 (30.5%)
WIP: IWWP 12045/35000 (34.4%)

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
We put things in the trash. We take out the trash. We have trash cans in the house, but many people call the house containers waste paper baskets. I started calling waste paper baskets trash cans when I lived in New Zealand. Fewer syllables.

It's definitely garbage trucks, although they do pick up the trash. Ya gotta love English.

Laurel
#20 - July 20, 2012, 11:23 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region switzerland
In Alaska, we took out the garbage. And had garbage cans in the kitchen and waste paper baskets in the rest of the house (ie. no food waste).
#21 - July 21, 2012, 03:52 AM
I tweet: @FictionForge

Members: