SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

writing a pb in second person?

Discussion started on

Hello BlueBoarders, :)

I wondered if there are pb's written in second person narrative? Are pb's typically only written in third person? I am writing a pb, and for now the draft is in second person. I could change it, but I wasn't sure if second person narrative would be accepted by an editor. I thank you for your time and welcome your thoughts.

:) Abby
#1 - July 21, 2012, 03:20 PM
Top Dog Series - Rosen Publishing, 12 x 12 in 2012, fiction & stories published Stories for Children, Under the Juniper Tree and Kids 'Magination

I haven't found it to be very common, but when done well (like anything else!) it can work fine. I just read Michael Black's A Pig Parade is a Terrible Idea, and his use of it is hilarious. I'd just be careful of being didactic with it.
#2 - July 21, 2012, 04:23 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
The "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie" books are in second person, and like was mentioned, if done well it can work   (no reason for the cherries, just like them!) :cherries:
#3 - July 21, 2012, 05:24 PM
www.katieclarkwrites.com
Twitter @KatieClarkBooks
YA and Children's Author

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
When a Dragon Moves In is also in the second person. And also (I think) Is Your Buffalo Ready for Kindergarten.
#4 - July 22, 2012, 05:00 AM
www.carriefinison.com
DOZENS OF DOUGHNUTS - Putnam (July, 2020)
DON'T HUG DOUG (Spring, 2021)

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA is in second person, although you won't be able to see it until August 7.  But eeeeep!  That's two weeks!
#5 - July 22, 2012, 05:27 AM
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA series (Disney-Hyperion)
SUNNY'S TOW TRUCK SAVES THE DAY (Abrams)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
DON'T LET THE PIGEON DRIVE THE BUS, by Mo Willems is written in second person (as are a number of his books I believe)
#6 - July 22, 2012, 07:21 AM
GRAVE IMAGES, Scholastic Press 2013
FOREMAN FARLEY, Grosset & Dunlap 2014

www.jennygoebel.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Just checked out a new PB from the library, and it's written in second person. It's called WHAT TO DO IF AN ELEPHANT STANDS ON YOUR FOOT (Dial, 2012). Really cute!
#7 - July 23, 2012, 09:07 PM
BACKHOE JOE, HarperCollins, 2014
FAMOUSLY PHOEBE, Sterling, 2017
ALL IN A DROP, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2019

http://www.lorialexanderbooks.com/

I was thinking of two classics -- THE LITTLE MOUSE, THE RED RIPE STRAWBERRY, AND THE BIG HUNGRY BEAR, and THERE'S A MONSTER AT THE END OF THIS BOOK.

I guess they are technically first person but I think they might be sort of what you're looking for in that the narrator is speaking directly to the reader, telling the reader what to do.
#8 - July 23, 2012, 09:47 PM

I couldn't help adding another one I just read by Michael Ian Black, The Purple Kangaroo. The entire text is a conversation with the reader, with the narrator trying to prove he can read minds. Very clever, very cute!
#9 - August 01, 2012, 01:07 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
I think Shel Silverstein's Giraffe and a Half is also in second person.
#10 - August 02, 2012, 05:11 PM
FIVE SHORT SECONDS
SAYA AT SPEED
RULES OF THE GAME
TEST CASES
TWISTER RESISTERS
CRASH COURSE
Heinemann, Fall 2013

Members: