SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Scanner/printer Shopping

Discussion started on

Hi All,

I was wondering what types of scanners/printers everyone uses and how you like them.

Right now, I use a friend's scanner and printer at her house.  It's some type of HP that gives good quality but the interface is so clunky. You have to select scan, get an error, wait, click scan, wait and then it might scan properly if you cross your fingers just right. This is the process for each picture. 

So what do you use and how does it work for you?
#1 - July 24, 2012, 08:37 PM
If you don't try, you have no chance at all. - Carole King
Every day's a good day when you paint. - Bob Ross

www.tatumhartillustrations.com

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
Funny you should ask that. We just bought a new Canon LiDe210 scanner tonight because our old one wasn't compatible with Windows 7. Anyway, hubby needed to copy something, so after he installed the drivers, etc. for the scanner, he stuck a document into the scanner and hit copy. It scanned and copied to our printer (a basic Brother laser printer) in seconds. I haven't scanned any photos or drawings into it yet, but it should work as well or better than our old one (and faster!). So, needless to say, I'm very happy with it. :)

Never owned a printer/scanner, though. So don't know if they'd be better or not.

Hope that helps!

Rue
#2 - July 24, 2012, 10:19 PM
WIP: ETBs 10687/35000 (30.5%)
WIP: IWWP 12045/35000 (34.4%)

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
 :whistle I have an ancient scanner - bought it back in 2001 when I upgraded to a MACG4Tower. That G4 has since bit the bullet and I got a iMac 23 about 2 years ago. My MicroTek ScanMaker 6800 wasn't compatible since MicroTek stopped making driver updates for it. During a crit group meeting I was bemoaning the necessity of having to buy a new scanner when I'd just spent all this money on a new MAC. One of my crit partners told me to try VueScan http://www.hamrick.com/. OMG!!!!!! I downloaded the driver and my scanner was so much easier to use than it had been with it's original drivers. The smaller version of the software was a huge sight cheaper than a new scanner when the old one was working fine.

For a printer I have a Canon Pro9000 Mark II http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Pro9000-Inkjet-Printer-3295B002/dp/B001R4BTIA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319480900&sr=8-1 . It prints over-sized sheets of watercolor paper and card stock. The only thing I don't like about it is its need for constant replacement ink cartridges. I seem to be replacing 2-3 a month.
#3 - July 25, 2012, 05:49 AM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (PiƱata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
I have an Intel Mac running OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard), and use an Epson Workforce 320 all-in-one. Its great!
I had a separate printer and scanner (both Epson) before, but when I upgraded something the scanner wouldn't play with it right (you know how that goes), so I bought this thing at Office Depot on sale for under $100.
It has a color copier, printer, and scanner. The scanned images are saved to my desktop as jpgs which Photoshop opens.

The only bad thing is that I can't remover the cover of the scanner like I could with my old 'stand alone' one. Sometimes you need to if you have a bigger piece. Otherwise I'm happy with it.

#4 - July 26, 2012, 06:06 PM

Members: