SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

The Why

Discussion started on

Hi All,

I'm wondering how your personal life or demeanor affects the materials you use to make your art.

For example, I'm not good with watercolors because I'm not very patient.  And I like to draw while my kids play in the same room as me, so colored pencils are a good fit because I can use them on the couch.

Anyone else have a non-artsy reason for using a particular medium?
#1 - July 28, 2012, 09:35 PM
If you don't try, you have no chance at all. - Carole King
Every day's a good day when you paint. - Bob Ross

www.tatumhartillustrations.com

Illustrator
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arkansas
Non-artsy reason for using a particular medium....

- I use plain printer paper for most of my initial sketching because it's cheaper than the quality drawing/sketching paper I get from the art supply stores, and it crumples up nicely and noisily when I don't like the sketch...something I picked up from working as an in-house artist for a toy/novelty company.
- I sometimes use ballpoint pens for sketching instead of pencils....forces me not to be able to erase and doesn't need sharpening, but still gives me thick/thin lines, sort of; and usually I have one on me wherever I am. :)
- Every once in awhile I like to sketch with crayons because I love the smell and I flash back to good times in elementary school. LOL

That's about it, I think...pretty much anything I can touch, see or that can leave a mark is a potential artist's medium for me at this point.  :yup

- t
#2 - July 30, 2012, 10:12 AM

I love the paper crunching sound when a piece is beyond help. That's a great reason to use printer paper.
#3 - July 30, 2012, 07:17 PM
If you don't try, you have no chance at all. - Carole King
Every day's a good day when you paint. - Bob Ross

www.tatumhartillustrations.com

Rock of The Westies
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
Tatum, I was with you on the colored pencils with the ability to walk away should something need my attention with my children. But, there is a spanky artist here on the boards and another who is a rock star of sorts. Both encouraged me to try watercolors. It was also explained that you can walk away from your palette w/watercolors and just add water to get going again. Voila! I was so afraid of them.

I loved my acrylics but found them a challenge with children. Watercolors give me the freedom I have with pencils. It took me awhile to get as comfortable with them as I was acrylics. Now I love 'em more.  :love :artist1: I still use my colored pencils . . . but minimally in my works.
#4 - July 30, 2012, 10:58 PM
Fur Balls & Feathers & Fins, Oh My! Animals Are My Kind of People
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

evilrobot

For me I'm all digital, the reason.....I'm a clumsy person. When I worked in pencil I'd get the drawing almost fully rendered and then when I was putting the finishing touches on I'd always smear my little finger across it and mess the whole thing up. My light table got a lot of use because of it. Also when I worked in water colors I'd dump the water every time all over everything....I worked in colored inks but my carpet ended up looking like a rainbow....same with ink I spilled so many bottles of Higgins....so when digital arrived and I could afford it I never went back. Now I only spill ice tea on my keyboard every other month..... :yoda
#5 - July 31, 2012, 09:53 AM

Members: