SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

How to stop receiving replies on posts I commented on years ago?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
  • SCBWI PAL
Hello, kind and masterful moderators!

Having made a small contribution to this thread or that, I find now, years later, I no longer know what I wrote that has my foot forever in the door of certain threads that still run with new material. It was I, after all, who started the What Did You Blog About today thread, yet I wish to no longer receive it in my list of new replies to my posts. And there are more!

That's not to say I no longer care! Certain topics have been discussed thoroughly and my small part in them was hopefully wise like Yoda or that guy who trained Ralph Macchio in The Karate Kid. But the voices in the Blueboards have spoken and I've understood their advice. I love the Blueboards and recommend them to all the writers I meet. This board is probably THE (THEE) most dynamic board I participate in.

Now, is there any way I can pull the plug on seeing that a new reply has been posted on a thread that is no longer relevant to me? (Fitness goals . . .what was I thinking?!)

Thank you!
Danette :)
#1 - August 18, 2012, 09:33 PM
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 09:37 PM by DanetteFromOrlando »
A WHOLE LOT OF LUCKY, Sept. 2012
Violet Raines Almost Got Struck by Lightning
The Summer of Moonlight Secrets
Me & Jack

http://www.danettehaworth.com

I've always wondered about this too. It's not a big problem, but sometimes I'm like, "Why did I have to leave that little comment on a thread that gets posted in month after month after month after year... when I have nothing more to add?" Definitely a first world problem. ;)
#2 - August 18, 2012, 10:48 PM
The Echo Room (Tor Teen, 2018)
Where Futures End (Penguin, 2016)
www.parkerpeevyhouse.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
  • SCBWI PAL
Redditor!
#3 - August 18, 2012, 10:58 PM
Me & Jack

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Go to your profile. Click "Modify Profile" and a drop down will appear.  Click on "Notifications" and you can change your settings from there. :)

#4 - August 19, 2012, 09:08 AM
KISS ME KILL YOU (Entangled Crave, June 12, 2017)
@lchardesty all over the internet

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Larissa, as I understand the Profile settings, you can't opt out of a reply to an individual thread. It's all or nothing unless you select 'Nothing' and then go into your profile each time to request notification for a particular thread.

Danette, you might be able to cut down on the things that pop up under 'New Replies to Your Posts' if you go back and delete your original post.

#5 - August 19, 2012, 09:24 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
There's an "UNNOTIFY" button at the top of the thread if you want to selectively disable notifications.  (At least in the theme I'm using...)
#6 - August 19, 2012, 09:29 AM

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Another option is to use the 'show all unread posts' button rather than 'show replies to my threads/replies' button.
#7 - August 19, 2012, 09:30 AM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
We might be talking about different things.

My understanding is that 'Notification' is different from seeing replies to threads you'd started/posted in. I thought 'Notification' was like the pop-up message that appears at the top of the screen when I have a new PM, and I interpreted Danette's message to be asking if she could filter out threads she no longer is interested in from the 'New Replies to Your Posts' and 'Unread Posts Since Last Visit' links.

Awaiting your clarification, Danette!
#8 - August 19, 2012, 09:40 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
  • SCBWI PAL
AnneB, you are correct!
#9 - August 19, 2012, 11:06 AM
Me & Jack

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Then my suggestion is no help!  However, Larissa's should work ;)
#10 - August 19, 2012, 03:09 PM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
  • SCBWI PAL
Which theme has the "unnotify" button? I remember seeing it when things were changing on the board, but then it went away. I'd love to opt out of threads as well.
#11 - August 19, 2012, 04:34 PM

I'm pretty sure "notify/unnotify" only applies to messages you get telling you a thread has been posted in. For example, I do not have notification set up for this thread, but it still shows up every time I click on "show new replies to your posts."

I think what we're talking about is finding a way to stop seeing threads listed under "show new replies." Clicking "unnotify" will not work for that.
#12 - August 19, 2012, 06:20 PM
www.parkerpeevyhouse.com

Yeah you're right, 'unnotify' won't work for that. I've tried. :)

What we really need is a 'stop following' button or something, but as far as I can tell that functionality doesn't exist on these boards. Unless I'm missing something?
#13 - August 20, 2012, 01:37 PM

Perhaps if you deleted your comment in the thread?
#14 - August 20, 2012, 02:05 PM
Robin

Perhaps if you deleted your comment in the thread?

That's probably the best solution.
#15 - August 20, 2012, 03:29 PM
www.parkerpeevyhouse.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
  • SCBWI PAL
Aaack! Too many comments to go through! I've been a member on this board for more than five years!
#16 - August 20, 2012, 04:01 PM
Me & Jack

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
When you get an email about the thread it should have this option:
Unsubscribe to this topic by using this link: and then the link shows. Do you get that link? If that is the case, then click on it and you won't get messages anymore. Or shouldn't.

It's funny though. I usually don't get an of my updates. Sometimes they randomly pop in my inbox but rarely. So I have the opposite problem!
#17 - August 20, 2012, 06:31 PM
The GILDED series (Skyscape/ACP)
www.ChristinaFarley.com
Twitter @ChristinaFarley

When you get an email about the thread it should have this option:
Unsubscribe to this topic by using this link: and then the link shows. Do you get that link? If that is the case, then click on it and you won't get messages anymore. Or shouldn't.

I don't think we're talking about email notifications. We're talking about posts that show up when you click "Show new replies to your posts."
#18 - August 20, 2012, 08:37 PM
www.parkerpeevyhouse.com

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
I don't think we're talking about email notifications. We're talking about posts that show up when you click "Show new replies to your posts."

I think then, the only way to stop seeing those is to delete your post in the thread.
#19 - August 21, 2012, 12:09 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
And that's why I never click that button ;)  I can see why it's a time-saver if those few threads are the only ones you want to check on -- but really, the 'show unread posts' button also gives only a few (well, if you're crazy like me and check in a few times per day).
#20 - August 21, 2012, 02:29 PM
Robin

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Danette, one quick way is to mark the button "all messages read" after you read the follow ups from the threads you do want to read.  Oh, and my kids loved your book. I made them write a little report and my daughter balked at me (what with school starting and all). Hee hee. Only my son accommodated me and it's on my blog. I enjoyed Lucky very much Danette.

On another note, I know I asked about the PM notification thingie not working. I used to get an email saying I had a PM and even its contents but now nada. I would like that feature to work again. But hey, I'm not complaining. I'm happy to have the blueboards, notification woes and all.

Vijaya
#21 - August 21, 2012, 02:51 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
  • SCBWI PAL
Vijaya,

I loved your son's review! I left a comment on your blog for him.

Danette
#22 - August 21, 2012, 03:54 PM
Me & Jack

Members: